Reflections on G0G Kettering show

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Enjoyed the visit to the G0G Spring event at Kettering yesterday, it was Spring then but not today, judging by the  weather.

I must have been going to this event since 2011 or so, just missed a couple of years.

As a sign of progress, the Dapol stand were selling RTR Terriers and Class 08s for £150, wagons for £25. RTR-wise, this is now a very accessible scale.

New high quality RTR on view from Minerva and Little Loco Co.  Most of the craft and kit suppliers were still there too. 

Three especially fine layouts:

Woodlands Brewery: [why is there a pen in the photo?]

post-14654-0-25787500-1488709313_thumb.jpg

Stodden Hundred which is now an extended light railway with delightful cameos:

post-14654-0-02153300-1488709337_thumb.jpg

End of the Line which seemed to be narrow gauge and truck only when I visited.

Good to catch up with people. Skytrex were selling body kits for the Y6 GER tram loco, build your own chassis. 

post-14654-0-15723900-1488709325_thumb.jpg

I'm off to the Czech Republic tomorrow, back in time for Nottingham!

Dava

Where did that pen come from!

This young lad showed a keen interest so I invited him to operate, which he did for about an hour. (The one the on the left ;-)

Another young lad did the same in the morning. Hope they had a great time and felt inspired to join in our hobby.

Children are welcome.

Tom

Woodlands Brewery

post-17315-0-71401200-1488711925.jpg

• RMweb Premium

We were forced to withdraw from the show as I have slipped a disc in my back. Apologies to anyone who wanted to speak to us.

Marc

Marc,

I am sorry to hear that. I did look for your stand but thought I must have missed it. I do hope your back recovers & is not too painful.

Dava

Marc,

I am sorry to hear that. I did look for your stand but thought I must have missed it. I do hope your back recovers & is not too painful.

Dava

The really annoying part is we had planned to have a new loco, coaches and wagons out. But haho.

Marc

We had the first incomplete test shots of the GWR 8750 0-6-0 pannier tank on the stand at Kettering. I'll post photos and commentary on the Minerva Model Railways forum tomorrow. Off to choir practice shortly.

Chris

Was involved with the show. Attendance up on previous years and a very convivial atmosphere. I loved the brewery layout which showed that you can do a lot in a very small space. Lots of new stuff around too which augurs well for the future of the scale.  For those who were unable to get there, the one in Doncaster is not too far away in June. 

Martin Long

We on the Little Loco stand really enjoyed ourselves, despite being quite a long day and frequent visits to the car park to get the reception required for the card payment machine. It gave me a good opportunity to have a decent chat to customers, which I really like doing but there's seldom much time to do.

It was a really good show, well organised and run. I only wish that I had more time to look around. I'd hoped to speak the the Minerva Chris's at some point and to see their next model, but only managed a brief 'hello' to Mr B while unloading. I did manage to speak to Malcolm at Peartree Engineering, who is doing some lovely bits and bobs for the Rustons.

I'm looking forward to the next one!

Steve

• RMweb Premium

frequent visits to the car park to get the reception required for the card payment machine.

I have already replied to a similar post from Steve on the new Gauge O Guild Forum but for the benefit of traders here on RMweb, I have copied some helpful information below.

Steve - I was there helping Paul Martin of EDM Models and in previous years we have had that problem walking around the car park to pick up a signal and then quickly entering the PIN and amount. The card reader Paul used was costing him £35 month to rent from his provider and when the contract was up for renewal he started using 'SumUp' which had a single one off fee of about £60 and so paid for itself in two months. This runs with an 'App' on his mobile phone which uses Bluetooth to connect to the very small card reader. He also has a 'dongle' connected to his laptop which is on a different network and so if the mobile phone fails to get a signal he can use the wifi as an alternative. We must have done 30 transactions at Kettering and every one of them went straight though without a problem. We were positioned near one of the fire exits and I even saw Pete Waterman going outside with a card reader in his hand and Tower opposite us were waving theirs in the air to make a connection.

Hope that helps.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Where did that pen come from!

This young lad showed a keen interest so I invited him to operate, which he did for about an hour. (The one the on the left ;-)

Another young lad did the same in the morning. Hope they had a great time and felt inspired to join in our hobby.

Children are welcome.

Tom

Woodlands Brewery

attachicon.gifwoodlands.jpg

Yes, you did, and I think that you did a great service to this future aspirations towards modelling railways.

I stood and watched some of your coaching and encouragement session, I certainly missed seeing the pen!

We on the Little Loco stand really enjoyed ourselves, despite being quite a long day and frequent visits to the car park to get the reception required for the card payment machine. It gave me a good opportunity to have a decent chat to customers, which I really like doing but there's seldom much time to do.

It was a really good show, well organised and run. I only wish that I had more time to look around. I'd hoped to speak the the Minerva Chris's at some point and to see their next model, but only managed a brief 'hello' to Mr B while unloading. I did manage to speak to Malcolm at Peartree Engineering, who is doing some lovely bits and bobs for the Rustons.

I'm looking forward to the next one!

Steve

Steve,

Like you,  I suspect we were  too busy keeping customers happy to wander over for a chat. The lousy signal for the card reader is a recurring Kettering curse and had us resorting to the old swipe machine with paper vouchers...yes, they do still exist. Interesting to observe one manufacturer selling their products for less than their retailers who were in the hall; very bad manners.

Regards,

Chris

I have already replied to a similar post from Steve on the new Gauge O Guild Forum but for the benefit of traders here on RMweb, I have copied some helpful information below.

Thanks Mike, I also use SumUp, which I got for a special offer of £25, but the payment system itself is not the problem - it's the network it uses to connect to their server. I have a nifty gadget that uses the EE network, which usually has a very good data coverage, but the design of the building and my position in it combined to produce no coverage. It was much better outside.

• RMweb Gold

Sum up currently on offer at £29 instead of £59

My phone, to which it links by Bluetooth, is on whichever mobile network Virgin mobile uses but I also have a MiFi unit which creates a wifi network using the three network. Between them we've not had any connectivity issues (touching wood) since having that set up. I do put the MiFi unit as high up as I can as, having watched the signal strength indicator, it's affected more by people at my stand than it is by the building

• RMweb Premium

Paul has mentioned using Virgin Mobile but that runs on the EE Network so the position in the hall must make a difference.

Found this on the 'Money Saving Expert' website

Provider Piggybacking firm EE Major players: ASDA Mobile, BT Mobile*, The Phone Coop, Virgin Mobile* Minnows: Axis Mobile, Delight Mobile, Natterbox, Plusnet Mobile*, Vectone Mobile O2 Major players: Giffgaff*, Tesco Mobile, Sky Mobile Minnows: LycaMobile Three Major players: iD Mobile, The People's Operator Minnows: Globalgig, Candy Telecom Vodafone Major players: Talk Mobile Minnows: Allpay Mobile, Cortel Telephone, Glemnet, Highnet, Lebara Mobile, Ownphone, TalkTalk Mobile*, Zest4 Mobile

• RMweb Gold

the Dapol stand were selling RTR Terriers and Class 08s for £150

Dava

WOW!!!! is all I can say to that......

They are seconds or returns with damage, either to details or paint. They had signs on the stand at Bristol and were telling people too.

• RMweb Premium

They are seconds or returns with damage, either to details or paint. They had signs on the stand at Bristol and were telling people too.

To be fair they were marked 'NQP' or similar but I don't know what that stands for - 'near quality product'?

Dava

Archived