LBSCR Wagons - Isle of Wight and Modelling

Garethp8873

Evening guys,

I'm currently working on an article on LBSCR Wagons which is nearly complete bar a few missing things.

Firstly I need to add some information on the Single Bolsters, Car Trucks and Ballast wagons that were transferred to the Isle of Wight in the 1930s. Can anyone tell me what each type of wagon was used for and when these would've been withdrawn on the Isle of Wight only.

Secondly, I'm looking at what is currently available to the railway modeller. So far I've got the following paragraph done. Can anyone tell me if anything is missing at all?

Garethp8873.

LBSCR Goods wagons are available to the modeller in OO, N and O gauge. So far only Hornby produces the SR D.1576 Brake Vans for the ‘ready to run’ market.

OO modellers are currently offered a wide range of wagons to work with. Cambrian offer the SR.1369 Open with the choice of either adding the rounded ends with tarpaulin rail or flat end. Smallbrook Studios also offers the OO modeller several kits which include the LBSCR 8T Goods Van, Cattle Wagon/Rebuilt Cattle Wagon, 5 Plank with Round/Flat ends and the Single Bolster.

The N gauge modeller is rather limited in what is available. Like Hornby, only the SR D.1576 Brake Van is only item available for the ‘ready to run’ market. Whilst no longer produced by Graham Farish, these are easily found second-hand. As for kits, Ultima Models produces a body kits for a Stroudley Brake Van, LBSCR Goods Van (Dia. 1433) and Poultry Van. These are designed to fit onto a Peco wheelbase chassis.

We, Furness Railway Wagon Co/Pre-Grouping Railways, do a number of LBSCR wagons in 7mm.

7 plank coal

6 plank coal steel underframe

5 plank open steel underframe raised ends

3 plank drop-side

​4 wheel brake van

6 wheel brake van

marc

Single  Bolsters:  Intended  for  long  loads  such  as  rails  or  timbers  spread  across  two  or  more.

Some  were  allocated  to  the  traffic  department,  some  to  the  engineers.

Last  survivors  withdrawn  in  1967  apart  from  two  converted  to  match  wagons  for  the  "new"  LT  stock.  These  lasted  until  1990ish,

Car  Trucks:  intended  for  small  vehicles  or  machinery,  mainly  used  for  engineering,  eg:  Ryde  Works  would  often  have  one  or  two  loaded  with  bits  of  dismantled  locos.  Last  survivors  withdrawn  1967.

A  rake  of  three  Bolsters  and  one  Car  truck  was  often  used  a  as  set  for  moving  full  length  rails.  

Ballast  Wagons:   18  short  wheelbase  dumb  buffered  dropside  wagons  transferred  in  1927  for  urgent  modernisation  works.  Scrapped  in  1931. 

10  20ton  diagram  1755  steel  hoppers  transferred  in  1947,  found  to  rust  badly  with  sea  dredged  ballast,  Scrapped  in  1955

The  standard  IOW  ballast  wagon  was  a  10  ton  dropside  open  but  not  of  LBSC  origin,  these  were  ex  Contractors  wagons  later  owned  by the  SECR, Following  WW1  war  service  20  had  been  stored  at  Ashford  and  were  sent  to  the  IOW  in  1924.  Many  were  later replaced  by  rebuilding  LBSC  opens  with the  SECR  bodywork.  Remaining  SECR   originals  also  received  LBSC  wheelsets and  boxes   resulting  in  only  minimal  differences.  Last  survivors  withdrawn  1981

Pete

If you can get hold of a copy, the OPC "Southern Railway Wagons" book, Volume 2, has copious details, photos, and drawings of LBSCR and other IoW stock. http://biblio.co.uk/book/illustrated-history-southern-wagons-volume-two/d/839381141?aid=frg&utm_source=google&utm_medium=product&utm_campaign=feed-details&gclid=CjwKEAiArvTFBRCLq5-7-MSJ0jMSJABHBvp0nlc25x1oYA0pnOzqG0cRzBwCgY9UaBSCj71jyc-KrRoCr3Dw_wcB

Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer

• 3 years later...

Hi Pete were the 4 plank rebulids not used for ballast work? The ex IWR one, was it 62888 or something like that was that one amoung the SECR rebuilds?

Which wagons were used as match wagons for tube stock. I know the 10 ton Van, but wasn't there a 10 ton open, Any idea which one it was. I did  it know a couple of the bolsters were used as tube matches, any ideas what numbers they were? 

Thanks

Gary

Yes the 4 plank rebuilds were for ballast as well as general engineers use.

62888 was the only original SECR (ex Price & Reeves Contractors) left at the time of withdrawl, now preserved at Havenstreet.  No ex IWR wagons amongst these but there was one ex IWCR vehicle, DS 68823, this had replaced one of the SECR wagons (following accident damage?) being rebuilt with the  SECR bodywork, visually very similar but with an 8' 6" wheelbase  rather than 9' 0".

Not aware of an Open being used as an adapter wagon, possibly something  used for unloading tube cars ar Ryde in conjunction with the van?.

Yes 2 bolsters used as tube stock adapters, DS 59043 and DS 59045, these lasted until 1992 and must have been amongst the oldest wagons on BR at the time.  Sat at Sandown for years and possibly  never used?,  Shunting of Tube stock at Ryde was done with another Tube unit.

Now at Havenstreet and rebuilt to full Bolster condition using parts from other incomplete LBSC bolsters.

Pete