Lanarkshire Models Track Cleaning Kit

looks good. We use a similar design bogie roller track cleaner , however it need to be used at the END of a running session as the

cleaning fluid makes traction tyred locos slip and deposit black gunge.

I drag a Peco track rubber in a LWB 4 wheel chassis to achieve a similar effect. The drawbar fits in slots in the wagon chassis so

it is always towed not pushed, but obviously this is not RTR.

My other weird track cleaning plan is Triang Dock shunter chassis with knurled wheels with flanges turned down and different gear ratios

on each axle. sort of a rail grinder.

Edit

Forgot to mention on the bogie roller cleaner the roller has to be run so the loose end of the fabric trails when passing over

pointwork, even when tied on firmly or sooner or later it catches in something and causes an issue. Not a problem really just

needs turning when you reverse.

Edited by DavidCBroad
  • Like 1

Its a good design and easy to set up, like all Lanarkshire products. The only problem I had was that the track cleaning cloths catch on the unengaged point blade when going into pointwork, causing a derailment. You need to change the cloth fequently, as when it becomes slack or frayed, it can also catch on gaps at rail joins, especially insulated rail joins, which can easily be slightly uneven. Not sure if others have had these issues and could all be down to my own poor modelling skills.

RD

Pretty sure there is already a thread on here somewhere for this try doing a search.

Dave

I did, but it didn't turn up any user experiences.  Hence the question.

As in http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshiremodelsandsupplieswebsite_149.htm

This seems to me to be a very sensible design at a realistic price, so I'm thinking of investing.  Anybody got one and care to share their views? 

I have one and it works well for me.

It was reviewed in the May 2011 edition of Model Rail and came second to the Dapol all-singing-all-dancing DCC track cleaner.

It was also reviewed in Railway Modeller around August 2014 but I don't know which exact edition that was.  If you want to find out then I'm sure Dave Franks will oblige - have a look at the Contact Us page on the LMS web site.  He's usually very quick to respond.

Do remember that the kit doesn't include the brake van - they're available second hand on eBay for not a lot of money.  If you go for a Hornby one rather than the Airfix do make sure that you get the newer Hornby LMS brake van based on the Airfix model, rather than the older (ex Tri-ang?) one, because the kit won't fit that one (ask me how I know!)  I think the difference is that the older one has the stove chimney bang in the middle of the roof whereas the ex-Airfix one has it offset, but I'm not 100% sure.  I'm sure Dave will be happy to advise if you need further guidance.

Edited by ejstubbs

• RMweb Premium

I have one and it works well for me.

It was reviewed in the May 2011 edition of Model Rail and came second to the Dapol all-singing-all-dancing DCC track cleaner.

It was also reviewed in Railway Modeller around August 2014 but I don't know which exact edition that was.  If you want to find out then I'm sure Dave Franks will oblige - have a look at the Contact Us page on the LMS web site.  He's usually very quick to respond.

Do remember that the kit doesn't include the brake van - they're available second hand on eBay for not a lot of money.  If you go for a Hornby one rather than the Airfix do make sure that you get the newer Hornby LMS brake van based on the Airfix model, rather than the older (ex Tri-ang?) one, because the kit won't fit that one (ask me how I know!)  I think the difference is that the older one has the stove chimney bang in the middle of the roof whereas the ex-Airfix one has it offset, but I'm not 100% sure.  I'm sure Dave will be happy to advise if you need further guidance.

I've had a quick look at August 2014 & a few issues before & after and yet to find it!

• RMweb Gold

As in http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshiremodelsandsupplieswebsite_149.htm

This seems to me to be a very sensible design at a realistic price, so I'm thinking of investing.  Anybody got one and care to share their views?

I have had a US device of similar design, I think it's called Centerline (sic), for some years. It runs in a short bogied frame vehicle and came with a number of long strips of what look like J-cloth. Once the cloth is wrapped about the brass roller I soak it in kitchen cleaning fluid from supermarkets here, which has an isopropyl alcohol base, but is perfumed. I'd rate it very useful for regular maintenance, but not man enough if serious deposits are to be tackled.

I've had a quick look at August 2014 & a few issues before & after and yet to find it!

Sorry, that should have been 2011.  I've not read that review myself, my comment was based on Dave Franks' posting here, dated August 2011.  (I got confused with this one from 2014.)

FWIW I use Google directly to search in RMWeb: just enter some search text and stick "rmweb" on the end.  In this instance the search string was lms track cleaning kit rmweb.

I bought one last August and it does exactly what it's supposed to.

I've added a bit of extra weight to the brake van, which stopped it occasionally riding up over the roller if it got slightly stuck.

Great product (usual disclaimer)

Eddie

And just by way of an update, my kit came today.  Having learned to have low expectations of anything from the "cottage industry" sector of the hobby,  I was astonished at how professionally it's presented.  It was also a doddle to assemble, even for somebody with arthritic hands and eyesight well past its best before, who had never met an etched kit before. 

And it does what it says on the tin.  Not only that, but.Mr Franks scores at least 10/10 for customer service. 

I couldn't be more impressed if he paid me. 

Which he hasn't :)

Edited by spikey

Hi people, well I've been watching this thread with interest just to see what people think of the Track Cleaner. Having sold many hundreds or maybe even into four figures since 2010 and with a re-draw of the etch to make a better fit in the remoulded Hornby chassis in 2013 I have had only a few messages of feedback, all good. Customers have told their friends and others have come back for another one or two.

The basic idea was to make a British looking track cleaner that didn't look out of place on a layout especially an exhibition layout. A track cleaner that could be used all the time when operating. A guards van I thought, an engine and van would look okay and be a realistic movement plus a van could be on the end of a train as well. A prototype was made from scratch and tried out on our club layout which had been sitting unused for some weeks, the cloth was black with crud after just a few minutes but we continued to use it until the roller was causing an intermittent short as the cloth wore down. To prevent the heavy brass roller from shorting it was plastic coated, a nickel silver etch was drawn up and the kit was released.

It should be used as a maintenance cleaner running round now and again preventing the build-up of the black crud that all model railways get.

Our club layout uses three or four track cleaners and after a cleaning and hoovering session in the clubrooms we don't need to touch the track at all over a three day show, the cloths are changed when dirty and over a weekend show they do need changing.

post-10324-0-72179700-1489003477_thumb.jpg

Very little dirt left on the track after running in a sequence timetable over the final couple of hours on a Sunday.

So, thank you very much for the feedback and as I've just taken delivery of more brass bar for the rollers I better get on making them.

Dave Franks.

• Like 3

Dave is too modest they work superbly and have the bonus that they look just like any other brake van on the layout allowing us to have a few running on Alloa in normal train formations.

One on the tail of a train on the 'up' and another on the 'down' plus a handy 'engine and van' available for the branch ensures faultless running.

Alloa is a large layout and anyone who has viewed it on the circuit will hopefully agree that even with an intensive service it consistently delivers good quality running which is in no small measure down to Daves track cleaning brake vans.

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Hi people, well I've been watching this thread with interest just to see what people think of the Track Cleaner. Having sold many hundreds or maybe even into four figures since 2010 and with a re-draw of the etch to make a better fit in the remoulded Hornby chassis in 2013 I have had only a few messages of feedback, all good. Customers have told their friends and others have come back for another one or two.

The basic idea was to make a British looking track cleaner that didn't look out of place on a layout especially an exhibition layout. A track cleaner that could be used all the time when operating. A guards van I thought, an engine and van would look okay and be a realistic movement plus a van could be on the end of a train as well. A prototype was made from scratch and tried out on our club layout which had been sitting unused for some weeks, the cloth was black with crud after just a few minutes but we continued to use it until the roller was causing an intermittent short as the cloth wore down. To prevent the heavy brass roller from shorting it was plastic coated, a nickel silver etch was drawn up and the kit was released.

It should be used as a maintenance cleaner running round now and again preventing the build-up of the black crud that all model railways get.

Our club layout uses three or four track cleaners and after a cleaning and hoovering session in the clubrooms we don't need to touch the track at all over a three day show, the cloths are changed when dirty and over a weekend show they do need changing.

attachicon.gifDirty roller.jpg

Very little dirt left on the track after running in a sequence timetable over the final couple of hours on a Sunday.

So, thank you very much for the feedback and as I've just taken delivery of more brass bar for the rollers I better get on making them.

Dave Franks.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for reminding me that this was the other thing I was suppossed to see you about at Modelrail......

Must remember this next time I have money!

A number of people have emailed regarding which LMS guards van the Track Cleaner is designed to fit, the one you want is the LMS type guards van that was designed and made by Airfix Railways and then made by Dapol then taken over by modern Hornby, also it is the scale length unlike the old Tri-ang/Hornby van which has the daft tail light in it. The Airfix/Dapol/Hornby van is back in the Hornby catalogue this year but second hand ones can usually be picked up for under a tenner at shows. The track cleaner only fits the scale size van.

post-10324-0-52823000-1489013279.jpg

Airfix/Dapol/Hornby van also fitted with the correct buffers.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

For those of us who prefer green railways to red,

would it be possible to fit it in to other types and

designs of brake vans?

Not Dave but;

I've seen ones adapted to fit a BR standard/LNER Toad and a GWR Toad, so I would say with a bit of ingenuity and plastic bashing, yes.

Mike.

Hi Tim, of course it will.... Being an EM modeller myself.

The roller is designed to work up to 20mm gauge and if one keeps the wheelbase of the four wheeled vehicle to between 60 and 90 mm you should have no problems.

I don't recommend fitting to a bogie vehicle as on curves the roller may drop inside the outer rail and possibly cause derailment. Fitted into the guards van as designed it works a treat.

As for that little green railway in the west.... Erm, GW something.  If the Toad van is within the wheelbase mentioned it would be fine, just check that the underside edge of the frame is at 5mm above the rail tops, this will allow the roller to 'float' correctly.

Dave Franks.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tim, of course it will.... Being an EM modeller myself.

The roller is designed to work up to 20mm gauge and if one keeps the wheelbase of the four wheeled vehicle to between 60 and 90 mm you should have no problems.

I don't recommend fitting to a bogie vehicle as on curves the roller may drop inside the outer rail and possibly cause derailment. Fitted into the guards van as designed it works a treat.

As for that little green railway in the west.... Erm, GW something.  If the Toad van is within the wheelbase mentioned it would be fine, just check that the underside edge of the frame is at 5mm above the rail tops, this will allow the roller to 'float' correctly.

Dave Franks.

IIRC the Model Rail review, show it fitted to a Toad.

Hi People, just to say that if anyone tried to phone most of yesterday and they got a 'line in use' message, our phone is up and working again this morning. It seems there was a problem at an exchange in South Glasgow. Funny though that the internet was okay, guess that goes through some sort of server to split it from the phone lines.

Dave Franks.

• 7 months later...

Hi All. This is a very good idea, after a dodgy start I got ( with a bit of assistance ) it working. But then disaster struck. The brakevan as supplied by Dave toppled off the baseboard , crash bang wallop, bits flying everywhere . Not only the body and chassis, it was like an explosion the van ends “Splintered into several pieces” all over the floor, I thought that I could use one of my Queen Mary brakevans? But couldn’t bear to hack one about to fit the roller. But I did notice on the webpage , a modern image EWS wagon that would take the kit (providing my one is suitable ) can anyone of you experienced Modellers please advise me on whether a Bachmann EWS MTA open box wagon is the wagon illustrated on the webpage ? Or is there a better alternative. Best wishes. Kevin