Legomanbiffo earth movers fitting questions

RD400

When I come out of my shed at 0300 laughing my head off I know I'm on to something!

Just done an EM2 Hymek and 27 for Bif.

The list of EM2 fits is now as follows;

SLW Class 24!!!

Bachmann 25

Heljan 26

Heljan 27

Hornby 31

Heljan Hymek

Bachmann 37

Bachmann 40

Bachmann 44

Bachmann 45

Dapol 52

Bachmann 55 1x EM2 and 2x EM2!!!

Hornby HST.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Gents,

See the EM2 fit is creating interest. One thing you must do if milling the top of the chassis to accommodate an EM2 is to throw the motor mount as well as the PCB. The motor can then sit on top of the fuel tanks. I have found by experimentation that the EM2 sounds best when enclosed inside a body shell.

I forgot that bit Steve  :laugh:

OOOOPS!

Forgot to mention that the Dapol 68 has been added to the successful EM2 list.On reflection there's not much that can't be EM2'd in 4mm with a little persuasion except Shunters, 20's, 58's and 70's. 

I did try the EM2 in a Class 66 for a customer, however the sound did not suit the speaker so another type of speaker choice was made.

I have got the Hornby 31 and 50 on the to do list very shortly.

Merlin DCC will be trying to concentrate on EM fitting where possible. The sounds from these beasts really do justice to Legomanbiffo's handywork.

We are going to try the same installation done as an experiment in sound on the Deltic with the Dapol Western, Two chips and two EM2's. Giving a true twin engined sound!

There have been 3 serious enquiries within a couple of days regarding the Atomic Option Deltic and Atomic Option Western. So watch this space.

Cheers,

Steve.

Edited by Steve Brammer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

OOOOPS!

Forgot to mention that the Dapol 68 has been added to the successful EM2 list.On reflection there's not much that can't be EM2'd in 4mm with a little persuasion except Shunters, 20's, 58's and 70's. 

I did try the EM2 in a Class 66 for a customer, however the sound did not suit the speaker so another type of speaker choice was made.

I have got the Hornby 31 and 50 on the to do list very shortly.

Merlin DCC will be trying to concentrate on EM fitting where possible. The sounds from these beasts really do justice to Legomanbiffo's handywork.

We are going to try the same installation done as an experiment in sound on the Deltic with the Dapol Western, Two chips and two EM2's. Giving a true twin engined sound!

There have been 3 serious enquiries within a couple of days regarding the Atomic Option Deltic and Atomic Option Western. So watch this space.

Cheers,

Steve.

Let me know how you get on with a 67 please Steve. I reckon I already know how but it'd be interesting to see how you'd do it  :good:

• RMweb Gold

The EM2s won't leave you disappointed. I'm not affiliated in any way to the Mad Yorkshireman, Bif or Steve but to say they've got a good thing going on here is an understatement. 

The only downsides are a) I'm sat here scratching my head as to how I can get them to fit in to everything, and b) it's gonna get expensive!

EM2s will be on the Website this week.   Charlie

Charlie,

Do you have a regular supply of EM2's or would it be advisable for me to get a few now (while you have them) and hold on to them until I've saved up enough for Merlin to wave his magic wand?

Bob

Charlie,

Do you have a regular supply of EM2's or would it be advisable for me to get a few now (while you have them) and hold on to them until I've saved up enough for Merlin to wave his magic wand?

Bob

180 have just arrived, but 40 have gone in a week!!   The Website is now live under Speakers / Supersound / EM1/2/3 Section.      Charlie

• RMweb Premium

We can add another loco to the EM2 list. The Hornby 50. Just got to load Bif's file!

Steve.

Interesting. I installed sound in a 50 myself, it was the second and last loco I did, so it must be capable of a big improvement. All locos since I've had sound fitted professionally.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just finished the 50 and blown beefed up EM2 Bif Sound onto the fingymybob! The results are rather pleasing! First 4mm 50 I have heard with buckets of bass!

When will the 50 be available? Charlie already has my 47 for sound fitting.

Just fitted EM2 speaker installation in a Hornby Class 50 with Bif's Sounds. Had to put it at No.2 end and mill the chassis quite a bit even by my standards. However it's in and Glorious! No pun intended. I have never heard a 4mm 50 with any bass until now!

Next is a Hornby Railroad Bubble Car detailed and repainted as TDB975310 in Olive Drab. Wonder if the EM2 will lift this beggar off the rails! May have to add a little weight me thinks!

Cheers,

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

I am waiting to hear the EM's in action at the Bristol show with great interest. I fear that I am going to want to upgrade the dozen base reflex speakers in my class 37 fleet which will not be cheap!  This is not a complaint in anyway, shape or form and I am very happy with the base reflex sound fitting by Steve which is considerably superior to the ESU standard speaker. It is simply a case as with many things where new products render older ones inferior and ultimate obsolescence; such is progress.

A thought for peoples comment/consideration, is it possible to get the EM speaker in a size that fit within locos and thus avoid/reduce the work involved when upgrading?. I am assuming here that the EM speaker is not something made for models and is something that Charlie and/or one of his colleagues have sourced hence the need to do so much work to get them into locos. I suspect that the EM manufacturers would consider a custom job if there was sufficient demand, even if it were at a higher cost, a speaker that involved less work to fit into a loco might well mean the overall cost falls.

Again, to repeat my earlier point, I am not complaining about costs or criticising Charlie or Steve, I just wonder if there is a different way forward?

I am waiting to hear the EM's in action at the Bristol show with great interest. I fear that I am going to want to upgrade the dozen base reflex speakers in my class 37 fleet which will not be cheap!  This is not a complaint in anyway, shape or form and I am very happy with the base reflex sound fitting by Steve which is considerably superior to the ESU standard speaker. It is simply a case as with many things where new products render older ones inferior and ultimate obsolescence; such is progress.

A thought for peoples comment/consideration, is it possible to get the EM speaker in a size that fit within locos and thus avoid/reduce the work involved when upgrading?. I am assuming here that the EM speaker is not something made for models and is something that Charlie and/or one of his colleagues have sourced hence the need to do so much work to get them into locos. I suspect that the EM manufacturers would consider a custom job if there was sufficient demand, even if it were at a higher cost, a speaker that involved less work to fit into a loco might well mean the overall cost falls.

Again, to repeat my earlier point, I am not complaining about costs or criticising Charlie or Steve, I just wonder if there is a different way forward?

Hello Rob,

Yes, I am sorry we keep upping the ante as far as sound is concerned. We keep discovering new products, techniques etc and always ask whether we should inflict whatever it might be upon everybody else's eardrums too! 

In answer to your question regarding the making of a smaller version  of EM2, there is one available in the form of EM1. However unfortunately we cannot compress the laws of physics and the difference between these two speakers is very noticeable. 

The recommended fit by Merlin is for the EM2 in the Bachmann 37 to be fitted in a milled out pocket on top of the chassis leaving the tanks alone. The sound does improve greatly from the speaker being inside the body to our tastes though sound is very subjective.

Cheers,

Steve,

Shed dweller,

Merlin DCC.

Thanks again for your continued interest in our little projects Rob. We may have reach a plateau for now regarding the speakers used so maybe just maybe I might actually spend more time fitting sounds than developing new ways to fit them, oh and actually do a bit of my own modelling. Only built a signal box in the last eighteen months!

Although I do now have an interesting fleet of EM2 loco's to tinker with.

• RMweb Gold

Steve

My question is more would a custom made EM2 speaker designed to fit within a modern diesel be an option? I have no idea as to the origins of the EM range and guess that they are designed for a different purpose than fitting into models. My point is that with a custom design (and even if it cost more), the overall cost might fall because it would mean less work required by the likes of yourself to fit them. It would also be a better solution for the model because and notwithstanding your skills, it must be better to minimise modification of factory built models.

Perhaps a follow up question is anyone aware of dialogue taking place with model manufacturers about them changing the loco design so that larger speakers can be used? Given that model designs already exist, I guess manufacturers will struggle to see any economic benefit of changing designs. However if they are not asked then they are unlikely to do anything. 

regards Rob

Steve

My question is more would a custom made EM2 speaker designed to fit within a modern diesel be an option? I have no idea as to the origins of the EM range and guess that they are designed for a different purpose than fitting into models. My point is that with a custom design (and even if it cost more), the overall cost might fall because it would mean less work required by the likes of yourself to fit them. It would also be a better solution for the model because and notwithstanding your skills, it must be better to minimise modification of factory built models.

Perhaps a follow up question is anyone aware of dialogue taking place with model manufacturers about them changing the loco design so that larger speakers can be used? Given that model designs already exist, I guess manufacturers will struggle to see any economic benefit of changing designs. However if they are not asked then they are unlikely to do anything. 

regards Rob[/quote Hello Rob,

I am aware of dialogue taking place with manufacturers, however response has been either can't be bothered, the provision is perfectly adequate or simply ignored. However I'm not complaining too loudly as part of my income, putting food on the table is getting more out of sounds!

As far as the work affecting models is concerned, the Bachmann models benefit from superior running due to the cardan shafts being now parallel instead of cranked at angles. The absolute smooth silence of the mechanisms is noticed by people as much as the improvement to the sounds.

In the end it comes down to choices. Some people want one thing and some people want another. I can't please everyone and to be honest there aren't enough hours in the day. However if a certain few are happy to join us on our little trip into sound then they are more than welcome.

If I stopped enjoying this jobby I would hang up my coat tomorrow.

Many thanks for your continued interest in our little projects,

Kind Regards,

Steve,

A member of the misfits and reprabatic (may not be a word!) sound team,

Charlie, Bif and Steve.