Early NIR books

Hello all,

I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend any books which specially cover the early NIR years, just after the UTA or a book with a bit of both? The reason I ask is because I obtained the DVD "Steam in Northern Ireland, the final years", its very good and has lots of interesting scenes, so I just want to expand upon it.

Thanks,

Nelson

I rather liked this:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Steams-Last-Fling-Northern-Railways/dp/1898392625/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488825038&sr=8-1&keywords=steam%27s+last+fling

It's more of a set of personal recollections than a detailed history, but it's a really good insight in to the end of steam on NIR (which is all taking place against a background of the start of the 'Troubles'). 

Thanks Hunslet,

35 years of NIR Is the next book I hope to purchase once funds recover.

I have just received Steam's Last Fling today and I have to say, I really do like the way it is written and I really do enjoy reading the personal observations, it really does set the scene for someone like me who was never there. Looking forward to a couple days of reading.

• RMweb Premium

The main writer of books about last years of steam in Northern Ireland was R.M.("Mac") Arnold, but mainly from post WW1 to the run down in UTA days. They were all published a long time ago, but you're in the right place for standing a better chance of finding them in second hand shops, and I expect there's a reference library with them otherwise. They're an unusual style, which you may find bitty, or you may really enjoy:

"The Golden Years of the Great Northern Railway" parts one and two. (There was enough for a part three, the Dublin area, but it was never published) by Blackstaff press, Belfast, ISBN 0 85640 182 X 1, 1976/9 and 0 85640 126 9, 1980.

"NCC Saga" by David & Charles, Newton Abbot, ISBN 0 7153 5644 5, 1973.

"Steam over Belfast Lough" this one I don't have, so no more detail, believe it is about the BCDR Bangor line.

"The County Down" by Irish Steam Scene, Whitehead, no ISBN, 1981. Softback covering the bit away from the Bangor line.

Then there are the two standard loco histories, more recent,

"Locomotives of the GNRI" Norman Johnston, Colourpoint Books, Newtownards, ISBN 1 898392 48 X, 1999

"Locomotives of the LMS NCC and its predecessors", William Scott, also Colourpoint, ISBN 978 1 904242 84 0, 2008.

Both these take the story up to the end of steam in UTA times.

Archived