Kingsbridge

NoelG

Very much in the spirit of the late great C J Freezer, who though nothing of fitting an awful lot of railway into each layout plan.  It is seldom seen these days, but another such is John Dew's excellent Granby Junction (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/2773-granby-00-gwr-1947-10-x-18-industrial/), but I think it's fantastic!

Well done and keep the pictures coming. 

• Like 1

Running trials for the pseudo CIE Laminate (Hornby Stanier) respray I did last spring behind B121.

IMG_3810.jpg

Ride height is a little high.  Have already remounted bogies closer to chassis, will have to take another 1.5mm off the ride height. B121 (3D + Athearn chassis) hauls local train.  

IMG_3808.jpg

A little local passenger train.  B121 (3D+Athearn), Dutch heating van (SF), Laminate (ex-Hornby LMS Stanier) and Bulleid luggage van (IFM).  Not a single MM item in the formation.

IMG_3812.jpg

Video Clip. CIE local branch train early 1970s. Dutch heating van (SF), CIE Laminate (ex-Hornby LMS Stanier) and Bulleid luggage van (IFM).    Notice the slight coach wobble I've accidentally introduced to the Laminate due to thinning the chassis bogie mounting plate.  Same problem as the RPSI cravens.  Will need to add a washer shim inside the chassis to tighten up the bogie pivots.

Edited by NoelG
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Pensioner in the background waits to board local branch train to Dunwhatsit hauled by C class.  Some parcels about to be loaded on 3185 as children look on.

IMG_3954.jpg

Its a bit grimy below the sole bar, and dirty work for shunters.

IMG_3960.jpg

Edited by NoelG
  • Like 1

Pensioner in the background waits to board local branch train to Dunwhatsit hauled by C class.  Some parcels about to be loaded on 3185 as children look on.

IMG_3954.jpg

Its a bit grimy below the sole bar, and dirty work for shunters.

IMG_3960.jpg

Two things stand out here, realistic dirt on the BGSV and the same ride height for the coaches, both of which add to the realism of the scene. Good work Noel.

Stephen

Two things stand out here, realistic dirt on the BGSV and the same ride height for the coaches, both of which add to the realism of the scene. Good work Noel.

Stephen

Thanks Stephen. I spent a lot of time adjusting the bogie mounts so the ride height would allow the roof to be prototypically slightly lower than the Irish broad gauge coaches, which had a wider 6" white stripe than the GSVs, have the top of the orange band's line up and enable both the buffers and corridors to line up correctly. Back in the CIE B&T livery days they kept these coaches cleaner than the preceding IR/IE era, especially the GSVs which were let go to 'pot' altogether. 

• 2 months later...

More modernity has arrived on the layout smile.png  . . . and three shades of orange to compare (mk2a, mk2d, loco).  I love the detailing on the Bachmann mk2a coach which is a recent recruit.

IMG_5309.jpg

Woodvale station is in the process of being cleared prior to some minor track adjustments.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

B233 hauling local cement train waits on the inner down loop while B141 has scheduled stop at Woodvale junction platform 2. Behind is mixed goods train comprised of corrugated opens, CIE vans and a few Bell containers waiting on the inner up loop for the 10:42 express on route to Kingsbridge to pass it on platform 3. Circa 1972'ish - pretend :)

IMG_5883.jpg

Edited by NoelG
  • Like 1

25yo Bachmann wagons converted to CIE mixed with 3D beat wagons, Bells and assorted stock. Close coupled thanks to 25yo Bachmann design recently converted to kadee couplings. I found copies of the long defunct 'Signal Box' mail order invoices showing these wagons originally cost me £3.75ea. So far I've managed to convert the couplings on 33 wagons. Really pleased how well they are running being hauled or pushed.

IMG_5892.jpg

CIE Black'n'Tan era is nostalgia gold

IMG_5898.jpg

Imaginary 1969

IMG_5899.jpg

I love the way these old Bachmann wagons can run so well close coupled.

IMG_5894.jpg

I lightly weathered these pair of baby GMs last winter. I have kadee couplings at one end and TLCs at the other so I can run them with converted and unconverted rolling stock for now.

IMG_5900.jpg

Edited by NoelG
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

Black'n'Tan heaven. :) The mail train arrives with CIE Brake Parcel Van 2542, TPO 2974, and GSV 3173 to keep the post office team nice and warm. Loose coupled goods train on platform 2 is waiting to be passed by the Limerick/Claremorris passenger working on the up loop.

These three coaches came out of the workbench workshops over the past year. Left to right, conversion of Bachmann LMS parcel van, IFM bogie TPO kit, LIMA BR mk1 BSK conversion.

IMG_8191.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Busy morning at the junction. Shunting using kadee's with delayed uncoupling has transformed the operational side of the hobby for me. Just loving it, spent the last few evenings just marshalling wagons in and out of the goods yard as goods wagons are dropped off and picked up by passing goods trains.

IMG_8505.jpg

• Like 1

He's slipping though Kirley. I see Shades of Mk.2's Popping into View. Few months time Mk.3 will be sneaking in then....LOL.

parapet.gif 

I confess!

It has already happened - but after the 'knock special' desecration of the layout below, normal service was resumed and the modern image mk2 stock was banished. :) Immigration has been restricted to B&T stock, and bogie freight stock is banned under pain of rebellion by the layouts little plastic people. But never, ever shall a mk3 run on these rails. :) And if you ever see a '22k luasey turbo roller skate dmu' on this layout, you will know I have been abducted by aliens.

At least they are trying to hide behind the real B&T trains.

IMG_5772.jpg

My feeble excuse was I was just using the 'orrible modern stuff as airbrush training donors :) But yes I have sinned and badly, I even stooped as low as 'tippex'. (the shame)

IMG_5418.jpg

A poor attempt at atonement was made by limiting the contaminating of the layout to modern image 1972 Super Train stock which at least co-existed with the princely B&T era. I know, I know, its no excuse, I shall probably 'rot in the bogie of eternal stench' for millennia. :)  

IMG_6085.jpg

• 3 months later...

A few more recent pics of 182 on the layout. Supertrain livery locos double heading with B&T livery locos was common in the 1970s

IMG_0103.jpg

182 recently weathered hauling the night mail train

IMG_0108.jpg

182 with buffer beam detailing it added.

IMG_0110.jpg

• Like 3