Dapol IDA low floor container wagons

rembrow

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know the exact release date to retailers from Dapol?

Have them on pre-order but information about actual release dates from Dapol is non-existent, originally it was April but now appears to be May/June when viewing some retailers dates?

Edited by classy52

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder why they didn’t impress you. Mine wobbled!

Nail on the head....

I had three different sets, replacement bogies and ended up returning them all...

Hopefully not the same issue with the IDA's.....

Edited by martin_l_jones

Picked up  a couple of sets from Hereford Model Centre today...

A few pictures, will give them a run tomorrow....

Will feedback the running qualitites, but they do seem very stable

20170527_203952_zpsnqdw3gyq.jpg

20170527_203945_zpst2zx1hvw.jpg

20170527_204004_zpseyxpyuqv.jpg

20170527_204040_zpskggc8xnz.jpg

Edited by martin_l_jones
  • Like 3

Picked up  a couple of sets from Hereford Model Centre today...

A few pictures, will give them a run tomorrow....

Will feedback the running qualitites, but they do seem very stable

Have the buffer placements been corrected?

I understood they were positioned too low compared to the prototype as they should be in line with the top edge of the beam, sorry I can't tell from the photos.

Edited by classy52

Hopefully these pictures will help determine the buffer heights.

The IDA actually weighs 55g...

LEES CO2 containers fit a treat !!

Good on you Dapol, yes they have been corrected from the pre-production sample thus the buffers are at the correct height...nice one.

• RMweb Premium

Just had a quick play with one pair of mine on the works track.

They look to run very smoothly with no visible wobble. Negotiating a reverse crossover and double slip with ease.

They aren't overly free running at the moment (but not bad), but this may improve with use.

Both wagons are fitted with the intermediate bar coupler, complete with representation of air pipe. They only need one between two, so pop one out and you have a spare.

post-408-0-11785100-1495983048_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 6

Just had a quick play with one pair of mine on the works track.

They look to run very smoothly with no visible wobble. Negotiating a reverse crossover and double slip with ease.

They aren't overly free running at the moment (but not bad), but this may improve with use.

Both wagons are fitted with the intermediate bar coupler, complete with representation of air pipe. They only need one between two, so pop one out and you have a spare.

Cheers,

Mick

That bar coupler is very clever! Using fishtails is much better than the earlier idea of using screwed on bar couplings. Thanks for posting.

The bar is quick and easy to fit, could have been a bit shorter for a closer fit but does the trick. Had one minor issue with a tight bogie but that was quickly resolved and they run well both with and without containers...

Edited by martin_l_jones
  • Like 1

Well I took the plunge today and got my dad, who was passing through Sheffield, to pop in a well known model shop and get me a pair of the wagons. Upon first glance, they seem to be the right shape and certainly capture the look of the wagons very well. After a few minutes playing about with them, the level of detail on them becomes apparent...there's no expense (and detail) spared that I can see. The printing is suitably minute and accurate and the little handles and fittings are very finely done.

I've already eyed up a couple of pernickety improvements, suck as adding a coupling hook to each wagon, and on my pair it seems the inner bar coupling pockets have no vertical movement, which can cause some axles to be pulled up on straight track, so I'll file a sliver of material off the top of the NEM boxes to allow for a little bit of vertical play.

On the whole the wagons are excellent and at around £19 a wagon the price is superbly reasonable, especially considering recent wagons from the likes of Bachmann, which have retailed for £50+. Here are a couple of pictures:

Firstly to show the fidelity of the printing, which even covers the direction markings on each handwheel. Also of note is the correct buffer height compared to a Bachmann 66, which has had a 1mm washer added to raise the chassis from the bogies, and so the buffer height of the wagons is correct...

post-21664-0-47461200-1496343384_thumb.jpg

The wagon is by far an improvement on their first couple of offerings, the IKA 'Megafret' and KQA pocket wagon, and is an improvement again on the near perfect FEA. In my opinion it is a benchmark wagon, and doesn't need many (if any) modifications, unlike the IKA, which requires a huge amount to get it anywhere near this standard:

post-21664-0-09477000-1496343410_thumb.jpg

Finally here's a couple of pics with suitable DRS traction, and a couple of prototype pics of mine, with the wagons forming the train. One photo also features the 12":1' scale version of my model 66...

post-21664-0-74336100-1496343373_thumb.jpg

post-21664-0-94603000-1496343393_thumb.jpg

post-21664-0-82886800-1496343402_thumb.jpg

post-21664-0-57061800-1496343418_thumb.png

post-21664-0-71930500-1496343424_thumb.png

So in my view it's an excellent offering from Dapol, and with their recent models of the HIA, MJA and now IDA, they are certainly moving up the ranks in terms of modern RTR wagons.

Thanks,

Jack.

• Like 9

Caution if you remove the bogies for any reason as they are retained by tiny washers under the screws. On some of mine the retaining screws were rather loose and one had come off in the box. I couldn't find the washer though unusually a couple of days later the floor monster gave up its catch so all hunky-dory again. Looks like the bogies were designed to use a retaining screw with an integral washer but the actual arrangement gives very free rotation.

Another very nice well detailed wagon from Dapol, note each bogie has four separate parts added and carry what appear to be axle numbers. I'm impressed they manage all this added detail at the very reasonable price.

And the lamp brackets are on the outer ends!

Graham

• 4 months later...

Just picked up a box for a IDA pair at Hartlepool MR Ex for £32 brand new, so quite chuffed with that.  The trade stand a quiet a few at both £35 and £32, not sure why the difference in price of 3 quid.

A nice model.  This is quite simple design of wagon when compared to other container wagons.  I still can't decide which version and which manufacture I prefer for container wagons (I am not fussed by era or operator), I just want some long container trains on my layout.

My only obs on the one I have is the tiny wheels do not appear to run totally true.  Either the axle is not quite central in the wheel or the tyres are not central/perfectly round in relation to the axle.  The bogie bobbles up and down very slightly and I guess this is all accentuated by the tiny circumference of the wheels.  However, on test running there is no apparent wobble to the wagon as a whole.

Just picked up a box for a IDA pair at Hartlepool MR Ex for £32 brand new, so quite chuffed with that.  The trade stand a quiet a few at both £35 and £32, not sure why the difference in price of 3 quid.

A nice model.  This is quite simple design of wagon when compared to other container wagons.  I still can't decide which version and which manufacture I prefer for container wagons (I am not fussed by era or operator), I just want some long container trains on my layout.

My only obs on the one I have is the tiny wheels do not appear to run totally true.  Either the axle is not quite central in the wheel or the tyres are not central/perfectly round in relation to the axle.  The bogie bobbles up and down very slightly and I guess this is all accentuated by the tiny circumference of the wheels.  However, on test running there is no apparent wobble to the wagon as a whole.

The running qualities are perhaps intended to replicate those of the prototype, which I'm told can be a bit 'lively' when lightly-laden.

• 5 months later...

Could anybody confirm if they are compatible with Bachmann containers?

Could you be a little more specific? If you mean the 45 ft then yes they are. Also Oxford Rail 45ft curtains and Dapol's own 45 ft containers. I have also tried C-Rails tanktainers which fit, but of course totally none prototypical.

Sorry. I'll try to make it clearer even if I guess you have already answered my question.

I would like to know if I would be able to fit in a Dapol 4F-054-003 45' IDA 'super low' container twin wagon the 45ft and 20ft containers that I got with the Bachmann Intermodal bogie wagons.

Will I need to glue them or make additional holes?

Thanks.

Sorry. I'll try to make it clearer even if I guess you have already answered my question.

I would like to know if I would be able to fit in a Dapol 4F-054-003 45' IDA 'super low' container twin wagon the 45ft and 20ft containers that I got with the Bachmann Intermodal bogie wagons.

Will I need to glue them or make additional holes?

Thanks.

HI 

Most containers fit the IDAs without modification Inc Bachmann and C Rail if they are tight a twist of a drill in the hole should do the triac.

Regards Arran