Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

A popular model railway meme - does it exist in real life?

• RMweb Gold

Maryland is almost spot on, actually. Just about the only difference is that the road with shops isn't as straight as the usual model depiction.

It even has the other model cliche of a road overbridge at both ends of the station, forming a natural scenic break :)

https://binged.it/2nnRxXC

see reply #13...

The more I look at it the more I realise that it would be very easy to model, all I would need is a couple of 315s and 307s...

Andi

Visit any model railway exhibition and i think there is a high probability that you will see a layout like this: a main line through station with a couple of island platforms; it is backed by a retaining wall, atop which is a road parallel with the railway; on the far side of the the road is a row of shops. The station entrance is at street level and access to the platforms is either from a footbridge which emerges from the back of the booking office, or from a station building which extends over the tracks.

I wonder if there are any real-life stations that resemble this. Penzance occurs to me as a station that half matches the criteria (it is backed by a retaining wall topped by a parallel road, but with houses rather than shops on the other side of the road). Edinbugh Waverley follows this pattern on a greatly expanded scale; but a public park is interposed between the railway and the city's main shopping street which (uniquely?) has shops on only one side.

Are there any other locations that fit the pattern to a greater or lesser extent?

Not exactly the scenario you're suggesting, there's no cutting/retaining wall as the railway is pretty much at street level,and it's got side rather than island platforms, but Westgate-on-Sea has a road parallel to the railway, with shops on just one side for much of the length of the station (although looking at Google Earth, I see some recently-constructed shop units have appeared on the 'railway' side of Station Road since I was last there, which have reduced the 'model railway' effect a bit)

There's also the added bonus of another parallel road across the line, with a row of terraced houses though, giving you the choice of which to use as your low-relief backscene...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/search/WESTGATE-ON-SEA+STATION/@51.3813451,1.3428303,270a,20y,275.5h,44.98t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

• 2 weeks later...

The pair of island platforms in the OP are themselves rare.

Even where there is a road atop the retaining wall beside the railway the road often falls so the station building is at platform level, Truro springs to mind.   Shops opposite the station are rare, doesn't Holyhead have some? though shops as part of the station building are becoming more common.

My usual beef is when model roads are level, they never are,they are cambered and at the very least on a slight gradient, and when platforms ground around the platforms is at track bed level. There are examples of this but they were very rare in steam days and usually there is level access from platform to road with inter platform access often by board crossing at smaller stations,  Footbridges cost money so many small companies avoided them.

Peterborough's latest incarnation has two island platforms and a road overbridge at both ends. The layout has changed rather now, and the only retaining walls support the overbridges (this being East Anglia) but there was and is, a road parallel to the tracks with the Great Northern Hotel opposite the station entrance, and various businesses backing on to the railway on both sides (although the now-gone marshalling yard has changed the geography rather).

Hunts Cross in Liverpool fits most of the criteria.

Mainline with track in a cutting with a street level station at the side. Four platforms with the centre pair being an island platform.

A shopping area and houses is next to the station. Church on the other side. Bridges at either end of the station which buses use. One of which originally had footbridges leading down to the platforms. Since replaced by a footbridge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunts_Cross_railway_station

Jason

Peterborough's latest incarnation has two island platforms and a road overbridge at both ends. The layout has changed rather now, and the only retaining walls support the overbridges (this being East Anglia) but there was and is, a road parallel to the tracks with the Great Northern Hotel opposite the station entrance, and various businesses backing on to the railway on both sides (although the now-gone marshalling yard has changed the geography rather).

Shoot me if I'm wrong, but I thought the new layout now has three island platforms? (Plus the old Platform 2)

Gillingham (Kent) almost fits the bill currently, but Chatham fitted it nearly perfectly until 1959 (when the two outer platform lines were closed to allow lengthening to 12 cars for the two mains).

New Southgate comes close, as does Oakleigh Park (but no shops there).

On the Waterloo-Portsmouth mainline, Surbiton, Woking and Guildford all exhibit most if not all those features.

In all cases the land rises/falls at one end or the other to require retaining walls, and whilst some areas have streets at rail level, all three end up with road bridges in close proximity to the station.

Plenty of pictures abound on 't web, both with boring multi-coloured boxes and with steam era equipment. ;)

An often-reproduced theme on models is the station that has a busy main road behind the platform fence, then a row of shops facing the railway. Not so common on the prototype, though Pembrey and Burry Port has exactly this:- https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Pembrey/@51.684187,-4.249756,149m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x486ee9f2360422f7:0x62bd4d0fa091d6bc!8m2!3d51.691573!4d-4.286183?hl=en 

Oh, and the road rises towards the western end, crosses the railway, and drops back to below track level.

An often-reproduced theme on models is the station that has a busy main road behind the platform fence, then a row of shops facing the railway. Not so common on the prototype, though Pembrey and Burry Port has exactly this:- https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Pembrey/@51.684187,-4.249756,149m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x486ee9f2360422f7:0x62bd4d0fa091d6bc!8m2!3d51.691573!4d-4.286183?hl=en 

Oh, and the road rises towards the western end, crosses the railway, and drops back to below track level.

I recall Mortlake being quite like that, except entirely flat with a level crossing at one end instead of a bridge?

Many London stations follow this format, some mainline, some not. In the north Preston, Wigan, Keighley.

Not sure about Keighley fitting in here. The booking office is on a road bridge, but this rises up to cross the railway and all other buildings are on a lower level. No retaining walls or buildings backing onto the station.

It does provide a good end-of-layout station to model as the trains can disappear under the bridge and into the off-stage.

Lancaster station has the island platform, booking office into footbridge, retaining walls, road on top (although a car park really) with another wall behind that, plus a road bridge for off-stage movements.

I thought the same on my only visit there 

post-7081-0-80499900-1490888694_thumb.jpg

Class 101 set C813 and 33029 are seen in the station,  15/6/83

cheers 

I thought the same on my only visit there 

attachicon.gifscan0034.jpg

Class 101 set C813 and 33029 are seen in the station,  15/6/83

cheers 

I can never get used to the idea of 33s that far west; indeed, when I left the area in 1973, Class 101 were seen as exotic. If you'd been facing the opposite way, you'd have seen my great-aunt's pub, the Cambrian, to your left, A great-great-aunt lived just the other side of the road bridge in your photo.

....and have never been West of Platform 3

Quite rightly in my opinion, except when I had eventual cause to leave the train each night on Platform 4, to go home. Any train heading off from platforms west of that, went to places where there be dragons.....

Archived