SWAG 2017 - Lineup, Details, Catering - all you need to know

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

This year's relocation of the modular exhibit and the area set aside for consuming refreshments was a significant improvement, I thought. There was a much greater feeling of space and improved circulation within the main room and it avoided the interaction between the edges of the dining and exhibition areas which previously occurred when the hall got fairly full.  

This seems to be a pretty common consensus, and I do think that the arrangement worked very well this time. I did, however, like to keep the team in the kitchen as closely 'connected' to the main proceedings as possible, with a feeling of 'involvement', which was one of the reasons I kept the previous arrangement going the way I did.

Edit - I would add that with the previous team, where the same ladies (and chaps) were in the kitchen virtually the whole day, they would no doubt have felt too isolated from everything else that was happening if we'd used the other hatch, so perhaps this was the right answer yesterday, in that folk took it in turns to work a 'shift' in the kitchen (although I'm sure Andy probably felt like he was in there most of the day!).

Of course, it helped not having to re-draw the standard floor plan showing where the catering tables went each year!  ;)

The other reason was that I was afraid that the Modulations would end up taking over the whole hall!  :jester:

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 2

Yes, I was aware of that, which is why I said Bristol or Swindon as a pose to somewhere further north.

What is the distance to the furthest point East of Swindon that can be regarded as The Southwest?

What is the distance from Swindon to Penzance?

I think an unintended consequence of moving the catering 'next door' was that people spent less time sitting at the tables (and we, therefore, could have had less seating), it never seemed to be full in there. Before they could sit at tables and watch people/layouts. I'm not saying one is better than the other.

I apologise for leaving the aisle too tight between Sherton Abbas (I'm sure it grew a it! ;)) and Kernow leading to congestion as a consequence of a star layout opposite some very good bargains, particularly the EP and deco samples from years gone by.

• Like 1

Those who travel farthest to Taunton haven't appealed for its relocation and often come back so it can't be a bad spot.

For those who like such events maybe I can plug the Staffordshire Finescale event at Gnosall in July as being central?

I don't think the NEC will let Warley show move dates either so an extra visitor can make it.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

What is the distance to the furthest point East of Swindon that can be regarded as The Southwest?

What is the distance from Swindon to Penzance?

1. South West Trains reach London Waterloo ;)

2. 'bout seventeen 'undred pasty-throws

• RMweb Premium

Although I was unable to come along yesterday my feelings and observations are why fix it if it ain't broke.

There is I clue in the the event name being SWAG it being based in the South West.

Perhaps someone could arrange a similar events in the Midlands and call it MAG

Eltel

Although I was unable to come along yesterday my feelings and observations are why fix it if it ain't broke.

There is I clue in the the event name being SWAG it being based in the South West.

Perhaps someone could arrange a similar events in the Midlands and call it MAG

Eltel

and would you suggest a South London event?

• Like 1

Those who travel farthest to Taunton haven't appealed for its relocation and often come back so it can't be a bad spot.

For those who like such events maybe I can plug the Staffordshire Finescale event at Gnosall in July as being central?

I don't think the NEC will let Warley show move dates either so an extra visitor can make it.

One of the things I like about Warley is that although thousands of people attend you can still have civilised conversations with your mates, exhibitors or people from model railway magazines ;)

Without wishing to turn this into a Warley discussion thread, does anyone know where it was held before the NEC?

One of the things I like about Warley is that although thousands of people attend you can still have civilised conversations with your mates, exhibitors or people from model railway magazines ;)

Without wishing to turn this into a Warley discussion thread, does anyone know where it was held before the NEC?

The Harry Mitchell sports centre in Smethwick, they jumped up from a school type venue to the NEC, a huge risk hats paid off big time.

Peter

Edited by peter220950

Thànks CK.

No brainer really 250+ miles or 20 miles to Chippenham.

Manchester?

Puh ! The real no brainer is Staplegrove.....six miles from me

Chippenham dosent have a proper Railway. Just a thing with guided busses rattling back and forth

And it's not in the south west,it might be south west iof London but it ain't in that bit of England between Bristol Channel and the south coast and I can say that as a calne born lad

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Any further away from the South West and the pasties start to decompose, they don't travel well, so there wouldn't be any point in holding the event.

Peter

Like I said then, Truro.

• RMweb Gold

This seems to be a pretty common consensus, and I do think that the arrangement worked very well this time. I did, however, like to keep the team in the kitchen as closely 'connected' to the main proceedings as possible, with a feeling of 'involvement', which was one of the reasons I kept the previous arrangement going the way I did.

Edit - I would add that with the previous team, where the same ladies (and chaps) were in the kitchen virtually the whole day, they would no doubt have felt too isolated from everything else that was happening if we'd used the other hatch, so perhaps this was the right answer yesterday, in that folk took it in turns to work a 'shift' in the kitchen (although I'm sure Andy probably felt like he was in there most of the day!).

Of course, it helped not having to re-draw the standard floor plan showing where the catering tables went each year!  ;)

The other reason was that I was afraid that the Modulations would end up taking over the whole hall!  :jester:

I think Andy felt the need to ensure things went smoothly in the Kitchen particularly with the estimating of the pasty consumption rate, perhaps next year he will be able to relax a bit more. With Helpers like Nick and Taz thing were well in hand.

Don 

• RMweb Premium

Not keen on this idea. We'll get sand in the pasties.

Rob.

Not to mention the mechanisms of the locos on the layouts!

Even though my sat nav took me through every small village and 6'6" wide lane in Somerset ('shortest route') the present venue is perfectly placed for this interloper from Ampsher. I think the venue is perfect too for the type of event it is, especially with the catering now separate from the layouts.

I overrode my satnav's suggestion by putting in a way point on the A303 slightly west of Wylye to force a route via that (from Ringwood). It made the route much more straightforward, if a little longer.

Edited by Ian J.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Not to mention the mechanisms of the locos on the layouts!

I overrode my satnav's suggestion by putting in a way point on the A303 slightly west of Wylye to force a route via that (from Ringwood). It made the route much more straightforward, if a little longer.

Um, I don't know how to override my sat nav's suggestions....every time I disobey it the woman imprisoned inside it nags me to death.

She's scary.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Harry Mitchell sports centre in Smethwick, they jumped up from a school type venue to the NEC, a huge risk hats paid off big time.

Peter

I attended it more often when at the Harry Mitchel centre than since it moved to the NEC. It really is a whole world away from the SWAG event, it was pretty big at HM. The thing about SWAG is the people who go. There is usually some activity on the Saturday often involving the WSR and the TMG and a evening dinner. These will not move easily. Because of that some people make a weekend of it which eases the travel from outside areas for those currently away from home or those who may live elsewhere but regard the SW as their spiritual home.

A South London Event why not, you would probably need to find someone like the Good Captain to pull a team together to get it off the ground. No one is going to do it for you you have to do it yourselves. Biggest problem I could see is you may get swamped by visitor as it will be so easy to reach and that won't help with allowing it to grow naturally. Do please choose a different day though.

Don 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This was the fourth occasion that I have had the pleasure of attending and can honestly say that it remains a highlight of the year. 

This year I decided to attend the evening meal and stop locally.  The Old Stags Head B&B owned by fellow RMweber (Graham456) was absolutely superb, as was the evening meal at the Lethbridge Arms (good food and great company) and not forgetting Taunton MRG usual hospitality.

As for the day itself, it was the usual relaxed and friendly event and great to chat with friends old and new. 

Many thanks to all, for a very enjoyable day.

Finally just a few photos.

post-19351-0-26345000-1493636529_thumb.jpg

Netherhope Halt.

post-19351-0-90519900-1493636555_thumb.jpg

Module 1 - Staplegrove.

post-19351-0-70530300-1493636577_thumb.jpg

Module 2 - Marple Bridges.

post-19351-0-94106200-1493636671_thumb.jpg

post-19351-0-37526600-1493636703_thumb.jpg

Module 3 - Chard.

post-19351-0-86949800-1493636622_thumb.jpg

post-19351-0-22076100-1493636652_thumb.jpg

Canute Road Quay

post-19351-0-89538000-1493636721_thumb.jpg

Sherton Abbas

post-19351-0-21274000-1493636764_thumb.jpg

post-19351-0-66649900-1493636834_thumb.jpg

Helstonish

Cheers,

Aidan

• Like 15

I enjoyed the opportunity to watch a few puffers in the countryside at the WSR gala on the Saturday afternoon before meeting up at the Taunton MRG clubroom as the start of the Saturday evening social.

On playing it back I've noticed the Sherton Abbas crew, Dave and Roger, get in on the act.

• Like 10