SWAG 2017 - Lineup, Details, Catering - all you need to know

Stubby47

I would think Swindon for some is as adverse as Truro for others.

Surely Taunton has done good so far. Everybody seems to enjoy the social side as well as the layouts.

I haven't been but the apres chat and photos have been good.

Bristol is always held on the weekend of the Mayday Bank Holiday, which this year actually fell on the 1st of the month so it was as early as it can get.

I understand the SWAG get-together is traditionally the last Sunday in April so was about as late as it could be. 

All compounded by the West Somerset Railway Spring Gala being held a week later than usual.

The next few years should hopefully be free of clashes. 

Hope you did well at Bristol, I didn't make it there this time so my shopping list will be carried forward to Railex.  

John

make yourself known I am the one with very few teeth

• RMweb Premium

Well as usual I'm late on the scene .

There is not a lot I can add that has'nt been said , another great day out in good

company with friends , the new team did a great job and things seem to have gone

well and been readily endorsed by both guests and exhibitors .

As part of the module team it was nice to be in the main room this year , it gave

a slightly better felling of being part of the whole as opposed to being a small

offshoot in the smaller room . At the same time I appreciate that the kitchen

team felt a bit cut off with no view of the action .

I look forward to next year when I will be just a ' guest ' after six years of being one

of the module team , I have left a strong crew to take over and have no fears for their

future , although they could probably do with some more interest from others to join in

with new modules , call the modules a combo cameo layout if you like , smallish , easy

to transport and set up , and totally free form in what you build . Okay , advertising over .

So once more , thanks to all who organised , took part or just visited , it was good to see

and chat with  you all .

Mike .

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

With regard to the lack of view from the kitchen, it would be possible to open the hatch to the main room, would just need a bit of planning to ensure there's not a layout directly in front...

The organising team has already started analysing the feedback from the day, what went well, what could be improved, so please, if you have anything to say please do let us know ( on here is fine).

For example, were there enough / too many tables in the catering room ? Did visiting members feel moving the catering tables out to the small hall was better/ worse ? Was the Bring & Buy a good idea (we think it was !!) ?  Was the main hall layout any better  ( apart from the lack of space in front of Sherton Abbas) ?

Don't be shy folks, it's your day as much as anyone's.

• Like 1

As another interloper from up country, I felt the trip was worthwhile.  The venue is ideal for the event and the event ideal for the venue.  The location may not be ideal for everyone but it does not hurt to put oneself out once in a while.  My car journey amounted to about 170 miles each way.  Others may prefer not to travel such distances but it comes down to a matter of choice.  Well done, Stubby and team!

Chris

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

With regard to the lack of view from the kitchen, it would be possible to open the hatch to the main room,

That would benefit the good souls who slaved away in there.

For example, were there enough / too many tables in the catering room ?

Probably two would have been sufficient.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

With regard to the lack of view from the kitchen, it would be possible to open the hatch to the main room, would just need a bit of planning to ensure there's not a layout directly in front...

The organising team has already started analysing the feedback from the day, what went well, what could be improved, so please, if you have anything to say please do let us know ( on here is fine).

For example, were there enough / too many tables in the catering room ? Did visiting members feel moving the catering tables out to the small hall was better/ worse ? Was the Bring & Buy a good idea (we think it was !!) ?  Was the main hall layout any better  ( apart from the lack of space in front of Sherton Abbas) ?

Don't be shy folks, it's your day as much as anyone's.

My feedback for what its worth

I think the steup of having the catering in the small room worked out better this year - both in keeping the flow of people better and making the module layouts feel more 'part' of the whole thing as it were.

I also don't see why the hatch from the Kitchen into the main hall couldn't be opened up - with notices to say purchases must be made from the small room, thus allowing the catering crew to see into the main hall while undertaking their dutues

Bring and Buy is a good idea - though there are issues with big money prices as most folk don't carry large quantities of cash with them - though their is a cashpoint at the Tesco Express a couple of miles away.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Stafford to Taunton; 153 miles and 2hrs 30mins so it's not even unreasonable from the Midlands for an enjoyable day. It'll be about the same for a day in Warminster in June which I will happily do (or a car load of us) - it's the destination rather than the journey!

It's about the same from here ( actually a little shorter by road but similar journey time) but at times it's actually quicker by train - but then at other times it is very definitely not quicker by train.  However there are fortunately two sensible rail routes to Warminster so it's going to need a real NR whatsit up to ruin that day for me  (no doubt they'll try their worst).

I for one thought that the Good Captain's Bring & Buy Stall was a brilliant idea (note to self, bring more pennies next year :jester: )

Mr Copleston did a very good job running it, along with the lady (sorry, i forgotten her name)

• Like 1

Little to add that's new.

Another splendid day, thanks to everyone who organised, exhibited, supported, sold, bought , cleared up etc. Good to catch up with faces old and new, to meet Phil H, to have a good natter with Neil (Blackrat) and to talk with the ever smiling Simon (Not Jeremy) on Cameos and the evils of selling books....

Yes, the new layout worked very well.

Nice to see the Good Cap'n relieved of the burden this year. I swear Tim was 6" taller, ten years younger and a tad more handsome than last year.

...I have left a strong crew to take over and have no fears for their

future ,

Mike .

Really, who's that then? Seriously, thanks Mike for your efforts over the years.

Pity Trevor couldn't make it this year and disappointed that Mike (Stationmaster) 's plans went awry and he missed it. Maybe Larkrail Mike?

Looking forward to 2018.

Edited by Arthur
  • Like 6

I for one thought that the Good Captain's Bring & Buy Stall was a brilliant idea (note to self, bring more pennies next year :jester: )

Mr Copleston did a very good job running it, along with the lady (sorry, i forgotten her name)

Thank you so much. Nice to know the Bring & Buy was appreciated.

I'll tell you, it took a lot more behind-the-scenes oranising than you might expect! What with forms, signs, stewards badges and bringing display tables from home, etc. But it was well worth it, I think. By the end of the day we seemed to have shifted quite a lot of stuff from some peoples gloat boxes into others' boxes and shelves... Still, it makes people happy, doesn't it! And commission on sales certainly helped swell our collective contribution to the Macmillan Nurses charity. (More on that score from Andy Y later, no doubt.)

The good lady in question was none other than Kim Clifford ("Mrs Queensquare")! Kim was brilliant on the day helping me organise the stuff on the tables, taking the money and record keeping - it all has to be above board and accountable, y'know. Anyway, my grateful thanks to Kim.

We hope to do it all again next year for SWAG 2018, if you'll have us back with 'The Good Captain's Bring & Buy' stall? 

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Well, we went all the way to the far south-west (Port Erin) and couldn't see where you were. :O  :jester:

I was thinking I would have loved to have visited had I not been crocked, but I couldn't anyway as I was supposed to be driving at the Fes.  Next year however, there is no Quirks & Curiosities gala so I might just be able to arrange our early holiday to the other south-west as Mrs NHN hails from somewhere called Loo or something like that. :nono:  Oh, Looe apparently.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Since Stu has been humble enough to ask, yes, some views.

Last year was our first visit. I thought the revised layout (sorry) this year worked better, actually. The refectory enabled me to have real conversations with some worthy members, several for the first time, and perhaps not having layouts and viewers around us facilitated that. Of course the other hatch should be opened for the comfort of the kitchen crew only, no sales/servings.

OTOH it did mean the delightful Mrs Queensquare (she who accused me of leaving lipstick on my cup!) and Phil C were a bit marooned, and they deserved better, too. Watching Phil C making his building mock-ups was highly educational, though.

The B&B was a great idea. We bought a couple of books and were highly delighted. Sherry is no train buff, but was quite taken with a substantial volume of Cuneo paintings, for next to nothing, and continues to leaf through it.

The Moduleers are now where they should be, in with the layouts. Some (all?) are showpieces in their own right and deserve to be rubbing shoulders with the main exhibits.

Finally the shift caterers may have lacked the comeliness of their predecessors, but the service and attitude was exemplary.

I've already said we had a lovely day. Now I'll say it again. Thankyou all.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Well, we went all the way to the far south-west (Port Erin) and couldn't see where you were. :O  :jester:

I was thinking I would have loved to have visited had I not been crocked, but I couldn't anyway as I was supposed to be driving at the Fes.  Next year however, there is no Quirks & Curiosities gala so I might just be able to arrange our early holiday to the other south-west as Mrs NHN hails from somewhere called Loo or something like that. :nono:  Oh, Looe apparently.

If you are coming to West Somerset. As well as the West Somerset Railway, Woody Bay (L&B) is not far there are a couple of campsites nr Lynton .

Don

• Like 1

Here are the pictures I managed to take on my phone which does not have as good anti shake as my proper camera.

First some industrial locos:

post-7071-0-86038300-1493743181_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-56040600-1493743196_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-89984300-1493743227_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-30823900-1493743212_thumb.jpg

Then some pictures of

post-7071-0-33510400-1493743246_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-10418800-1493743276_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-50038300-1493743262_thumb.jpg

and finally Palins Yard

post-7071-0-78890800-1493743299_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-83046900-1493743324_thumb.jpg

I liked the smaller cameo style layouts but could not get a nice clear shot of any of them due to the interest people were showing.

Gordon A

Edited by Gordon A
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

I expected to see the good Cap'n with at least a crutch, if not a nurse in attendance, following his dramatic and hair-raising cascade all the way down that long flight of stairs...

• Administrators

Can I ask an important question?

Pistachio cake.jpg

What was in this cake? Pistachio nuts and something vegetable as I recall but I can't remember which vegetable it was, and I'd like to identify it for the write up on Sunday's blog post.

FWIW, the cake was every good as Sherton Abbas.

attachicon.gifPistachio cake.jpg

What was in this cake? Pistachio nuts and something vegetable as I recall but I can't remember which vegetable it was, and I'd like to identify it for the write up on Sunday's blog post.

Not having an official specification we just told people it was pistachio and brocolli (or bogeys) but it didn't seem to put anyone off and it was the day's top-selling cake. I never had chance to try a slice and I'm just in the mood for one right now. We told people everything had nuts in it, even the doughnuts.

Whoever brought that in; well played!

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifPistachio cake.jpg

Courgette was the ingredient not a vegetable rather a fruit so its a fruit cake right?

Don

I forgot the Lime. Courgette and Lime I was told not being in favour of either I stuck to other cakes

Edited by Donw

• RMweb Gold

I had some of that. Apart from being a trifle tricky to get into one's gob in anything like a genteel fashion, it was the mutt's.

Mr & Mrs O'Cake, and their inebriated son Archibald. Pissed Archie O'Cake.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I had some of that. Apart from being a trifle tricky to get into one's gob in anything like a genteel fashion, it was the mutt's.

It was easy enough if you carry a Spork in your bag for cake eating emergencies.

And - Courgette - excellent!