Hornby Q6 Slow Running Issues!

charliepetty

Thanks Team, yes Ray - I've just just purchased the last motor so we`ll see how we go - I`ve removed the existing motor from the loco and even though it runs 'ok' it does feel rough and it runs very warm. So thanks for the info and I`ll post back the results towards the end of January  - thank you all :-)  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, so just a quick update - success! I have replaced the motor following the directions above and it is running much better and cooler than the old motor.  now a bit more information - I had a friend turn up a small 'attachment' to suit a pinion puller I had which allows me to remove the fly wheel easily and I use a vice to re fit it to the new motor & I did use a small cutter to shorten the drive shaft.  However I did find that considerable heat had been generated in the tender and the PCB was 'fried' along with some head damage to the back of the tender. I`ve removed the PCB and I`ll weather over the heat mark on the back of the tender  - I was not expecting that however it really does point to an issue with the original motor. 

So I now have my Q6 back and thank you all for your help.  :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Rshakes, your success has encouraged me to purchase the motors to do my Q6... so there will be a pause for a couple of weeks until they (I purchased 2 motors but only need one) turn up.. then I will carry out the change over! 

Hi DougN - yes, I`ve run the loco for about a 1/2 hour on a rolling road to 'run it in' and then for about a 1/2 hour in the layout - all good and it really does appear to run far better now. My only issue is that I`ve reversed the wire connections so it runs in the opposite direction to the other locos - but that is easy fixed.  

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Rshakes, 

a bit of an up date, the new motor has arrived in the far off land of Australia. Last night I sat down and had a look. 

Firstly the motor was double ended and the drive shaft was over length. Out with the demel and the excess was lopped off. I will say this must be done with eye protection and a grinding disk! I smoothed off the end with the drive on it. so there was no burrs to allow the brass fly wheel, Drive connection to smoothly fit on. 

Problem to get the old brass drive off the old motor, I first tried the soldering iron to heat it up. No luck, but I remembered that I did once upon a time purchase a screw style gear remover, this poped it off no problems. I did notice that the bearing in the old motor did practically move about too much so that may have been the problem with over heating. 

I cleaned out the bore of the brass with a cutting broach, so as to leave a draft on the brass. This all worked and i slowly pushed it onto the new drive shaft. The motor was checked before being reinstalled 

The loco was reassembled but it was getting late last night so I called stumps. 

Tonight is the reassembly of the body and test running. which I hope will result in everything working perfectly again! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Aw, come on, that's just ramping up the tension Dick Barton style.  With a single bound he was free...

As you know I'm following this as my 42xx probably has a similar drive, but I have experienced no problems of this sort with it as yet touch wood (taps head).  It can run very smoothly at very low speeds, but is a fussy picker up of electricity that seems to require a lot of faffing; some locos are like that sometimes for their own reasons.  They're not just inanimate objects you know...

• RMweb Gold

Aw, come on, that's just ramping up the tension Dick Barton style.  With a single bound he was free...

As you know I'm following this as my 42xx probably has a similar drive, but I have experienced no problems of this sort with it as yet touch wood (taps head).  It can run very smoothly at very low speeds, but is a fussy picker up of electricity that seems to require a lot of faffing; some locos are like that sometimes for their own reasons.  They're not just inanimate objects you know...

Johnster I found when disassembled the bearing in the motor was loose on the drive end. This is what I have suspected caused the motors to over heat. Can't prove it at the moment. Enthusiasm escaped on Friday returning home to a partner crook and teenagers hungry. So resigned to finally watch telly late last night. 

Ha update I now have 2 q6's running around. One has ended up slightly more growly but both are happily running. I will have to get a few hours running tonight and tomorrow to do a proper test. Then an hour or 2 with heavy trains. Ahh tomorrow will be nice with the trains circulating while I continue with my kit building! 

Edited by DougN