What are the benefits of subscribing....

leopardml2341

OK I reread the op... and my advice is not to go to ASDA.

Griff

Yours and Caradoc's posts (19&20) arrived as I was composing my reply to #18, can't edit the ordering now, so things may read oddly - sorry.

A previous time when someone brought a similar situation up with a different magazine, it turned out that they had signed up to a subscription from a magazine subscription company and not the publishers. So they had to wait for the magazine to be delivered to the magazine subscription company and then posted onwards to them.

IIRC Hornby Magazine is Key Publishing.

Mine comes directly from Key (the publisher).

• RMweb Gold

Yours and Caradoc's posts (19&20) arrived as I was composing my reply to #18, can't edit the ordering now, so things may read oddly - sorry.

No problem... I do understand your frustration though and if nothing else this thread does highlight the pitfalls of magazine subscriptions and, more generally, contracts.

Griff

Oh well, fallen foul of believing what people say again!

FWIW the ones in Asda were on sale Tuesday midday, suggests that the ones destined for Asda must have been sent overnight Monday latest.

Mine arrived by (2nd Class) post this morning.

I wonder if ASDA are using their own distribution chain which handling fresh food is, one hopes, going to be very quick.

It might be worth asking the subscription dept. of the magazine concerned how they interpret their subscriber priority policy as it's possible that the supplier handling their distribution isn't properly fulfilling their contract to the publisher.

In about 1990 I produced some programmes for the BBC's "Into Print" series on publishing and, amongst other things, we followed the launch of a new monthly magazine "Flyer"  I remember from then that subscriptions were far more valuable to publishers than retail sales because, apart from subscribers buying it every month which people buying off the shelves may not, they get to keep the retailers' wholesale discount of 25% less any extra distribution costs. The distribution costs for subscription sales were a bit higher though I think that was pennies. Since then, Increased postage charges may have lessened that advantage a bit but I doubt if it's that significant so the publisher will want to keep their subscription buyers happy.  

Some weekly magazines give very heavy discounts to subscribers. New Scientist is £4.10 off the shelf but £2.94 on an annual subscription of £150 for 51 editions which means I have to consider carefully how many times I buy it each year after a quick scan for interesting content. .

I wonder if anyone here is in the magazine publishing or distribution trade and so know more.

• RMweb Gold

Oh well, fallen foul of believing what people say again!

FWIW the ones in Asda were on sale Tuesday midday, suggests that the ones destined for Asda must have been sent overnight Monday latest.

Mine arrived by (2nd Class) post this morning.

The only thing I'd say about the supermarkets is they have a very fast distribution network.

I purchased a copy of Hornby Magazine once,  but before taking it to the till I wrapped it in a copy of 'Big Bouncing Asian Babes' to avoid the embarassment.  :mosking:

It might be worth asking the subscription dept. of the magazine concerned how they interpret their subscriber priority policy as it's possible that the supplier handling their distribution isn't properly fulfilling their contract to the publisher.

I did, a few months ago - didn't even get the courtesy of a reply :(

Ok well I have been a over seas subscriber for a large number of years with HM. We and I am speaking for a couple of friends generally receive it at the end of the month it is published... compared to the local newsagents who receive them in the last week of the month on the cover! Ok I am in Australia. So that is all one reason. The other reason is for 2 years subscription is about 80quid. Or about 130AUD compared to the local newsagent which sells it at 14AUD per month! Therefore I am a long way ahead of the local price to have the subscription.

I can not understand BRM, when asked why their yearly rate for over seas was about 109 quid for 13 editions...compared to 80quid and 24 editions with HM! I would have kept my subscription if it had been reasonable!

I subscribed to a couple of railway titles in digital format, essentially because I didn't want piles of mags all over the place and I could read the magazine "on the go" as it were.

One was a US title, the other Australian.

I did try to subscribe to a UK rail title in digital format (all of these are on a Kindle Fire) but it proved rather difficult.

Having said that I also subscribe to the digital version of Gardeners World and until recently that was beset with "technical issues" so its not just UK rail

titles that don't seem to have grasped the digital revolution - at least in my experience.

• RMweb Gold

BRM did their monthly subscription offer recently - pay a monthly Direct Debit. All the 'benefits' of subscription (lower price, delivered to your door etc) but no long term commitment. Other mags now do quarterly subscriptions so you just cancel the direct debit and you'll only pay for a maximum of 2 or 3 more copies. If you are lucky it'll take them longer to cancel the sending out the mags bit.....Just subscribed to RE at £5 for the first quarter, then quarterly thereafter.

Don't get digital subscriptions. You have to spend hundreds of pounds on a bit of kit to read them, and after a few months the memory is full. Assumes you can get the kids/cats off it to read it through the slobber and finger grease. Great for the train as long as you don't drop it and you've remembered to charge it. And in a few years time you won't be able to read what you've paid for as it won't be compatible with the latest gizmo or no longer available. No one ever got mugged for a print copy of BRM - indeed a rolled up magazine is a highly effective weapon. I assume subscribing to digital mags is like buying music from Apple - you don't own it, they can take it back without warning and when you croak you lose the lot :nono: Probably monitors which pics you look at as well to detect your naughty habits......

Digital, pah :onthequiet: will never catch on.

Archived