Has anyone built the D&S Wisbech and Upwell Tram coaches

MarcD

Guest Isambarduk

Yes, I started building these two models in 7mm scale many years ago and then the project stalled, as they do, whilst I have worked on other things.  I ran them for the first time on a friend's railway a couple of weeks ago, drawn by my scratch-built tram engine along with van No. 9, and I am resolved to complete them before too long. 

The etchings and castings, when I bought them, were excellent and I think it would be straight forward enough to assemble them as intended (ie according to the instructions) but I am incapable of keeping things straight forward and chose to make a good number of alterations and additions to the basic assemblies.  One novel, but very successful mod that I made was to the rigid chassis of the four-wheel coach for which I made a simple but very effective torsional suspension that provides the springing.

WUT-CoachNo6.jpg

Above is my four-wheel coach and, as you may see, I have replaced the buffer planks / headstocks with solid brass versions, put fine wire around the window openings as a bolection (although this is difficult to see) and replaced the etched beading with half-round brass wire.  Below is the torque springing arrangement that I devised.

WUT-CoachNo6TorqueSpring.jpg

This underside view (below) also shows some other mods, such as the pins to hold the air reservoirs and brake cylinder.

WUT-CoachNo6Under.jpg

I worked on the bogie coach in the same sort of way, although the bogies are fairly conventional.  At the time, there were no suitable Maunsell disc wheels on the market so I made sets of wheels from scratch.

WUT-CoachNo8.jpg

WUT-CoachNo8Bogies.jpg 

I hope this helps.

David

Thanks for the photos. I'm hoping to build them this weekend coming. I'm in the process of producing some Y6's as RTR and I need the coaches to run on our layout at the Blyth and Tyne show at the end of April.

Marc 

Guest Isambarduk

"I'm hoping to build them this weekend coming"

Now that's my problem: there are insufficient hours in a weekend for me to be able to build two coaches!   David

• 3 weeks later...

I built the 4mm:1ft back in the 1980s. I'm not particularly skilled at soldering but I don't recall having any particular problems. The etched 'fiddly bits' on the verandahs were certainly very fiddly and tended to become detached very easily. (CJL)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Isambarduk

I will let you know how I get on.

Marc

How did you get on?  Did you build them in a weekend?   David

Still working on them. Will post some photos once they are ready for the paint shop. I was told by precision paints that I should use NER crimson lake as GER lake doesn’t have any spec. Anyone have any alternatives?

Marc

Guest Isambarduk

"Still working on them."

Gosh!  Now that's what I call a long weekend ;-)  

Sorry, I can't help with the crimson lake as I shall be using Indian red, to match my tram engine and Van No.9. 

David

If you're not keen on the Precision route, Halfords Leyland Damask Red over a red oxide primer makes a good Crimson finish.

That's great makes life a lot easier as I also have two tram loco tops to paint.

Marc

• 3 years later...
On 12/03/2017 at 11:46, Isambarduk said:

Yes, I started building these two models in 7mm scale many years ago and then the project stalled, as they do, whilst I have worked on other things.  I ran them for the first time on a friend's railway a couple of weeks ago, drawn by my scratch-built tram engine along with van No. 9, and I am resolved to complete them before too long. 

The etchings and castings, when I bought them, were excellent and I think it would be straight forward enough to assemble them as intended (ie according to the instructions) but I am incapable of keeping things straight forward and chose to make a good number of alterations and additions to the basic assemblies.  One novel, but very successful mod that I made was to the rigid chassis of the four-wheel coach for which I made a simple but very effective torsional suspension that provides the springing.

Above is my four-wheel coach and, as you may see, I have replaced the buffer planks / headstocks with solid brass versions, put fine wire around the window openings as a bolection (although this is difficult to see) and replaced the etched beading with half-round brass wire.  Below is the torque springing arrangement that I devised.

This underside view (below) also shows some other mods, such as the pins to hold the air reservoirs and brake cylinder.

I worked on the bogie coach in the same sort of way, although the bogies are fairly conventional.  At the time, there were no suitable Maunsell disc wheels on the market so I made sets of wheels from scratch.

I hope this helps.

David

Hi David, 

What is the size for these wheels? As I've just ordered the W&U Tramway coaches in 7mm and I completely forgot to ask what wheels it requires. However do the instructions which D&S have do they note the required wheels? 

Thanks 

Tom

Guest Isambarduk
2 hours ago, Norton Wood said:

What is the size for these wheels?

Tom, I believe that the instructions state that the wheels were 2' 8" or 2' 10" in diameter (it was a long time ago!).  I'll look them out tomorrow and confirm for you.   David

2 hours ago, Isambarduk said:

Tom, I believe that the instructions state that the wheels were 2' 8" or 2' 10" in diameter (it was a long time ago!).  I'll look them out tomorrow and confirm for you.   David

Hi David, 

Thank you very much, it'll be the game to find the correct type of wheels to do that. If I can find such wheels? 

Guest Isambarduk
14 hours ago, Norton Wood said:

If I can find such wheels? 

That may be the challenge, Tom.

I cannot find any mention of the size of the wheels in the D&S instructions but, on an outline drawing for the 4 mm kit that came with the 7 mm instructions, there is a note "10.5 Ø disc" which would be 2' 7½" diameter but I suspect that was ' merely a suggestion' based on what was availble in 4 mm off-the-shelf at the time.

Anyway, they were Mansell wheels and I made mine 2' 8" (18.7 mm) in diameter - turned steel tyres, plastic card centres with styrene inserts to represent the coach bolt heads.  It was a very long time ago (probably 1985) but there may well be a suitable 7 mm scale offering available today.

Let us know how you get on.

David

• RMweb Premium

Gentlemen,

Slater's part no. 7130 is the plain disc 2ft 8.5 inch diameter "Low-mac" wagon wheel - which is I think the intended wheels for the D&S kit?

I do have the D&S kit and some of the Slater's wheels sat in the "To-do - Someday" box - where they have resided for a very long while! So I shall be keeping an interested eye on this topic from now on.

Regards

Chris H

I've just looked at a drawing which I'm sure is from the GER Society. Upon enlargement I think it is stated as 2'9" dia, though the cruel enlargement pixellates the writing a bit! I may have purchased a smaller copy of the drawing; often they do different sizes for sale.

Stewart

I've just looked in my copy of "The Tollesbury Branch" which covers the Kelvedon and Tollesbury Light Railway.

Two coaches were transferred from Wisbech & Upwell Tramway.

The diagrams in the back of the book show both coaches as having 2'9" diameter wheels.

Hope that helps?

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

A little update from me, 

My D&S kit arrived on Tuesday morning and while I've been stuck at home, I've taken the opportunity to crack on with the build, I have nearly completed the build of the 4 wheeled car and have just started on the larger Bogied vehicle. Some area's are not the tidiest soldering jobs I have ever done. But the Etch primer I use after clean up tends to cover up the small mistakes made. 

I'm taking a break from the build for now, but I am looking to start work on the bogies for the vehicle, being white metal only my only concern is it's durability particularly if I'm to put the wheels in. Either During the build or afterwards. 

A different opinion would be much appreciated re. the bogies. But apart from that the kit has been really nice to build!

Thanks 

Tom

IMG_2953.JPG.637054ad0b850ef437955e66e7687b55.JPG

IMG_2956.JPG

Edited by Norton Wood
  • Like 6

Can not help with the bogies as I have just built the 4mm version. However I would suggest that strips (fret waste?) are soldered on the tops of the end walls, and the top strip at the ends, to improve the fit of the roof.

Also the end platform gates appear to be too far out on the 4 wheel coach.

I suspect you found the end detail far easier to do in 7mm scale than I did in 4mm. :D

• Agree 1

On 16/01/2021 at 09:09, Tony Cane said:

Can not help with the bogies as I have just built the 4mm version. However I would suggest that strips (fret waste?) are soldered on the tops of the end walls, and the top strip at the ends, to improve the fit of the roof.

Also the end platform gates appear to be too far out on the 4 wheel coach.

I suspect you found the end detail far easier to do in 7mm scale than I did in 4mm. :D

Thank you, yes I am now resolving the gates, I thought they looked wrong, when I fitted them on. I'm now trying to get them in the right place. 

I'll update when completed. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Almost finished with them, the vents on the sides, windows need to be fitted into the bogie coach and the brake wheels are all that remains in terms of physical kit parts. I'm looking to fit the GE Safety chains onto both coaches and somehow fit the Slaters Screw Link couplings...Some thinking to do me thinks. 

I think I've gotten the gates into the right place? Based on the drawing they should be in line with the buffers, judging by the placement I think they're right now.

D&S was kind enough to send me a few extra's to help with the kit as I made a few mistakes but nothing you can see now!

I'm planning ahead with painting now, so far I'm looking to use the Golden Teak by Phoenix paints, but I'm not sure weather to just paint that straight on or scumble it with a Teak style colour?

Thanks

Tom 

IMG_3086.JPG

IMG_3090.JPG

IMG_3092.JPG

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

According to the drawing I have of the bogie coach the Westinghouse cylinder in mounted in the centre of the floor and the 2 tanks were mounted across under the steps. I get my drawing from the GER society and I can't share due to copywrite issues.

sorry I can't be more help.

Marc

• Thanks 1