TTS Sound Class 20

meatloaf

Hornby Mag has put up a video of the new class 20 with TTS sound.

Very promising and sound is on par, if not better than the Bachmann class 20

The mechanisom loos better than the other TTS diesels I have, especially with a diecast chassis

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hornby Mag has put up a video of the new class 20 with TTS sound.

Very promising and sound is on par, if not better than the Bachmann class 20

The mechanisom loos better than the other TTS diesels I have, especially with a diecast chassis

Certainly does sound decent and judging from the photos in Hornby Mag there is plenty of space in there to fit a larger speaker (or 2) 

I must admit whilst the model is a little basic still (but ideal for getting the young uns into the hobby) the sound does come across quite well and I will probably invest in a chip for my Bachmann one. The limitation of only being able to play 2 sounds at a time does not bother me in the slightest and the quality of the TTS decoders is improving all the time.

One thing I notice for the new Bachmann DRS one is it will be a new tooling with lights so this would finish it off nicely. As an aside I received a TTS 67 the other day and noticed the sounds bear a remarkable resemblance to that in a Soundtraxx decoder for a 66...

I don't really want another blue 20, even with TTS - my bluebox 20 is sufficient for the blue fleet.

I'm going to hang on until the soundchip is available separately, I've three green Lima 20s that would benefit from TTS (they've already been upgraded to DCC so it'll be just a drop-in exercise).

Would this chip be compatible with Bachmann PCB's?

Too be honest don't own any Class 20's thus just waiting on the new DRS ones coming out from  Bachmann, the Hornby model is rubbish thus would only be interested in the TTS Decoder if it was standalone and compatible with the new Bachmann Class 20's being released later in the year.

Edited by classy52

• RMweb Gold

Too be honest don't own any Class 20's thus just waiting on the new DRS ones coming out from  Bachmann, the Hornby model is rubbish thus would only be interested in the TTS Decoder if it was standalone and compatible with the new Bachmann Class 20's being released later in the year.

Standard 8 pin DCC socket so shouldn't be a compatibility problem. I have a TTS class 47 chip running perfectly happily in a Bachmann 47. Strangely the chip isnt listed seperately on the Hornby website

I'm modelling fife sheds Thornton and townhill upper which had multiple class 20.triple unit mgr means a big saving when mixing the Hornby tts with the Bachmann dcc sound 20. a bit of detailing on the Hornby could make this a excellent buy. a welcome model Hornby I'll have three please. :onthequiet: 

Standard 8 pin DCC socket so shouldn't be a compatibility problem. I have a TTS class 47 chip running perfectly happily in a Bachmann 47. Strangely the chip isnt listed seperately on the Hornby website

Bear in mind that many of Bachmann's later production models have 21-pin connections.

I have used the Hornby TTS class 37 decoder in a ViTrains class 37 to good effect. As Mike indicated, there is no reason why the Hornby decoder should not work in any locomotive with a compatible socket. Alternatively, they should work equally well if using an adapter or hard-wiring into another loco.

The Hornby mag review states it's twin bogie drive. I thought they were rereleased Lima models with just the one bogie driven but a half decent set up?

One of the captions does state that this is 'all wheel drive' but that is an error. Mike Wild is aware.

As you point out, only the leading bogie has driven wheels on this model. The drive train is a longitudinal motor and Cardan shaft to the front bogie tower.

Kind regards,

Paul

Bachmann class 20's were originally released with 8 pin sockets, but where upgraded to 21 pin, when Bachmann introduced sound. The new tool DRS 20's will no doubt be 21 pin. Hornby TTS decoders are 8 pin. Many people also carried out chassis swaps to upgrade. Moral of the story, check which socket you have first.

Edited by steveb860

Strange, as Bachmann 47 was 21 pin from initial release!!.

The Hornby mag review states it's twin bogie drive. I thought they were rereleased Lima models with just the one bogie driven but a half decent set up?

Don't worry about the pulling power. My Lima ones have what appears to be an identical drive train and they can pull 20 coaches with ease.

Sorry about going of topic, is there a second hand market for the TTS sound decoders with associated wiring and speaker etc? I was thinking of buying the upcoming class 37TTS but don't want the sound or decoder and it appears Hornby will only be releasing TTS models.

• 5 months later...

Hi all, just purchased 2 of these model (to run as a pair) and must say I'm very impressed with the quality of the sound, especially considering it came to less than £170 for the pair.Both are very heavy and smooth runners, and can certainly pull, but I do have a few issues, and was wondering if anyone could help, as I'm very, very new to DCC.

Currently I'm using a Gaugemaster DCC75 Tech 6 DCC Sound / Analogue Controller (see picture). As most of my fleet is Analogue, it's perfect for switch between the two systems, without having to use two controllers. It also allow to program and change CV, like any other DCC Unit, as well as operate all sound functions, the only down side is all DCC Fitted locos have to be addressed 03, so can only run one at a time. This is not a problem for me however, as my idea was to run to the two 20's as a pair both addressed 03 (with the horns set to 0 volume on the rear 20). However, as anyone on DCC knows, unlike on analogue the direction of each loco is set by the decoder. In this case, when I have the two 20's nose to nose, they either move away or towards each other. 

I under stand you can change to direction of model via the CV's, so looked up the instructions and found the section about directional control. I followed the instructions and placed one of the locos on the track and entered CV29, press enter and then pressed 1 and enter, and sure enough the direction of the loco changed. However, no matter what direction I select (fowards or backwards) the loco still heads in the same direction (i.e it will no long reverse)! So i resets the loco to factory setting and started again. After 20 attempts and 20 resets, I got the same result, with model only going one way, unless reset. (I tried the same on the other 20 with the same result).

Not deterred I put the pair together with one reprogrammed (which only heads the one away)  and set the pair off. They both sound superb together! However, after about a minute the reprogrammed 20 had a change of heart and decided it wanted to head the other way, cause to two to push against each other. I stopped them and changed the direction, and both headed off together, the reprogrammed 20 now liked that direction as apposed to the other, and both moved off fine, though now heading the opposite way to which they started off.  Of course, this is not suitable for what I wanted.

I though changing the directional settings would mean it would change the direction of travel both ways. The only way I can double head them at the moment is nose to cab, without any trouble. Is there another way to reprogram the direction or am I doing something wrong? If I had a full DCC controller and used the double header setting, would they both head the same way, even if they are nose to nose? I don't think the controller is at fault here, as all other aspects work fine programming and change CV works a treat on other sound fitted locos I have.

Any help would be very much appreciate.

(sorry for the long one) 

post-20663-0-77742800-1504108147_thumb.jpg

Callum,

Are you running with 128 speed steps on your controller? Hornby recommend that you do.

If you still can't get one or other to run in the opposite direction to the other with CV29, you could  set the CVs back as they were then turn the 8 pin plug in one model through 180 degrees before reinserting in the new orientation.

This will work the movement/sounds as normal (except one will run in reverse whichever direction the paired locos operate) but any lighting will not work as expected. If the model has no lighting, nothing to worry about.

Kind regards,

Paul

Callum,

Are you running with 128 speed steps on your controller? Hornby recommend that you do.

If you still can't get one or other to run in the opposite direction to the other with CV29, you could  set the CVs back as they were then turn the 8 pin plug in one model through 180 degrees before reinserting in the new orientation.

This will work the movement/sounds as normal (except one will run in reverse whichever direction the paired locos operate) but any lighting will not work as expected. If the model has no lighting, nothing to worry about.

Kind regards,

Paul

Thanks for the info Paul.  

I'm totally new to DCC so don't know very much. Take it 128 is the speed on the controller? (Sorry if that a silly question). There's an image of the controller above if that helps?

Will have another go at changing the direction, with the CV, though I guess I'll get the same result with the model only able to run one way, no matter what direction I set on the controller. 

So if I do end up flipping the chip, it makes no difference to the sound? Might give that a go if all else fails. 

Many thanks for the help

Callum

Just found the CV Calculator

http://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/cv29%20calculator.htm

You mentioned about the 128 speed steps. So if I hit CV29, then 3  (1+2 i.e. decimal value 1 for direction and 2 for speed steps) would that work I wonder? Like I say I can only get the model to go one way no matter what direction I set the controller at

Just found the CV Calculator

http://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/cv29%20calculator.htm

You mentioned about the 128 speed steps. So if I hit CV29, then 3  (1+2 i.e. decimal value 1 for direction and 2 for speed steps) would that work I wonder? Like I say I can only get the model to go one way no matter what direction I set the controller at

Callum,

You will just have to accept that TTS decoders do weird and unexplained things, often depending upon the controller you use. Some of the latest versions will not work at all with the ECoS system, whilst others are perfectly happy.

I suggest you search on here to get a flavour of the things that you might encounter. Most of the problems are 'niggles' and can be worked around. Some are more serious. Expect the unexpected.

What you say about CV29 is correct if you are using a short address (below 127). 1 + 2 = 3, that should set the decoder to 28/128 (i.e. not 14) and reverse the direction of travel. The model should still be able to travel in either direction. That seems to be 'broken' in the decoder you have tried. Maybe that's this week's weakness exposed.

Unsoldering the motor feed wires and swapping red for black* would be the 'permanent' way to get the reversed running you seek, but turning the plug around will have the same effect and is easier to do. The sounds will be the same whichever direction the model travel and should therefore be unaffected.

If you want 'ended' effects like different horn sounds on the same F key depeding on direction, or door slams only coming from the lead loco, one engine stating before the other and ramping up at different rates, you will need to invest a lot more money for custom sound projects on ESU or ZIMO decoders.

TTS  diesel sounds are particularly effective and the decoders are remarkable value for money once you accept their limitations and occasional foibles.

You then have to add the possibility that your unusual (unique?) controller may also be adding to inconsistancies with the DCC signal train. DCC is supposed to be universal once beyond the track output from the controller, but unfortunately, 'universal' can mean different things to different people. LOL.

Kind regards,

Paul

Edit.

* I don't know the actual colours that Hornby have used to wire to the motor from the 8 pin socket, if they have used the DCC convention then it will be orange and grey, but they could also be both black. The point is that the motor wires will need to be swapped if you choose this alternative.

Edited by pauliebanger

Callum,

You will just have to accept that TTS decoders do weird and unexplained things, often depending upon the controller you use. Some of the latest versions will not work at all with the ECoS system, whilst others are perfectly happy.

I suggest you search on here to get a flavour of the things that you might encounter. Most of the problems are 'niggles' and can be worked around. Some are more serious. Expect the unexpected.

What you say about CV29 is correct if you are using a short address (below 127). 1 + 2 = 3, that should set the decoder to 28/128 (i.e. not 14) and reverse the direction of travel. The model should still be able to travel in either direction. That seems to be 'broken' in the decoder you have tried. Maybe that's this week's weakness exposed.

Unsoldering the motor feed wires and swapping red for black would be the 'permanent' way to get the reversed running you seek, but turning the plug around will have the same effect and is easier to do. The sounds will be the same whichever direction the model travel and should therefore be unaffected.

If you want 'ended' effects like different horn sounds on the same F key depeding on direction, or door slams only coming from the lead loco, one engine stating before the other and ramping up at different rates, you will need to invest a lot more money for custom sound projects on ESU or ZIMO decoders.

TTS  diesel sounds are particularly effective and the decoders are remarkable value for money once you accept their limitations and occasional foibles.

You then have to add the possibility that your unusual (unique?) controller may also be adding to inconsistancies with the DCC signal train. DCC is supposed to be universal once beyond the track output from the controller, but unfortunately, 'universa'l can mean different things to different people. LOL.

Kind regards,

Paul

This is a crying shame as people have been wanting a cheap starter into the digital sound market, when will Hornby learn that people use other than Hornby Digital,

you would have thought looking at the market place overall would have been sensibly, but old habits (with new staff) don't seem to change.

Charlie