The Boatyard

GWR88

Hi all,

Been dormant from model railways for the past few months due to many reasons but I've jumped back in as my grandad has started re-building his layout into the loft of his home. Being a large layout he would of course like the very ubiquitous dock area and I'm adding a small marina onto the edge  of it for some variety. The other reason may be I work on leisure yachts so I want to see some in  iniature around!

Looking online we saw 4mm scale yachts were rather expensive so I have taken it upon myself to populate this new marina with yachts etc. As I build various yachts I wil update this thread with each one and aybe do A few tuorials of thats what people would like to see maybe?

Bavaria 34 Cruiser.

139218_0_070320092146_0.jpg&w=520&h=346&

The first yacht is a small one to test the waters and bring my modelling skills back up to scratch. The Bavaria 34 is a small cruiser yacht found in many places over the UK and abroad for its entry level price and relative sailing ease, which is why I've chosen it as my first marina occupant. My model isn't am exact scale model, it uses the plans of a 34 cruiser but bits and pieces are changed here and there for ease.

post-19101-0-89173700-1489276803_thumb.jpg

First of all, I printed out the plans at roughly 4mm scale of the yacht and marked out the hull shape onto some thick balsa.

post-19101-0-58609000-1489276863_thumb.jpg

Shaping the hull is the next step by cutting and sanding away all the excess balsa. Highlighting the excess with a highlighter helped me distinguish how far I could keep going with the blade.

post-19101-0-16578300-1489276885_thumb.jpg

All nicely shaped (except the rear hull chamfer) The coach roof is only sat onto top at this point, it is a thin sheet of balsa cut and sanded to shape according to the plans.

post-19101-0-49030700-1489276908_thumb.jpg

This is how she sits at the moment at the desk with her coach roof attached and the rear deck carved out carefully with a chisel shaped craft knife blade. Being a fractional gaff rigged boat, the rigging shouldn't be too complex to model but I shall keep you chaps updated. Being a marine engineer, I specialize in engines not rigging so famous last words and all that! I'm sorry the pictures are a tad naff but phone cameras in the dark don't always work too well I'm afraid

Until next time,

Lloyd

Edited by GWR88
  • Like 7

Basic rigging on a yacht is wire stays fore and aft (1 to the bow the other to the stern, looking at the drawing a stay either side of the mast, a couple of halliards for the main and foresail & something to represent the kicking strap below the boom and topping lift from mast to aft end of boom.

Just a thought using balsa wood, seal it with sanding sealer this will give it a smoother finish.

Ian G

Ian thank you for the advice, I will have to try that on the next couple I do as the Bavaria isn't amazingly smooth but I've built up paint layers and sanded in between which looks good enough from a distance.

Stubby thanks for the link there, luckily the Bavaria is almost all GRP and the small amount of decking will be covered by a sprayhood. I'll keep it in mind for future builds though.

The boat you are modelling would appear to be Bermuda rigged rather than gaff rigged.

Killybegs she is gaff rigged I believe usually but the picture I used shows one with its spinnaker up up a speed trial. Most I work on are hardly ever rigged in that way at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Little while since I posted here but here is the Bavaria all completed and rigged for sitting in the marina. She is far from perfect but I'm pleased with the overall result of he first one I've done. Now its onwards and upwards to the next ones!

post-19101-0-42013100-1491686959_thumb.jpg

post-19101-0-35875600-1491687008_thumb.jpg

The hull sides are slightly dimpled from the wood but these only show when looking up close really. Sh is named Rincewind if anyone can't see it and a brownie point to whoever recognises that name.

Thats all for now,

Lloyd

• Like 2

The boat you are modelling would appear to be Bermuda rigged rather than gaff rigged.

Bavaria 34 is a bermudan sloop rigged boat with a fractional foresail.

seriously though they are far from cheap, entry level boats are usualy 25-30 footers around 10-15 k a shot!

Bavaria 34 is a bermudan sloop rigged boat with a fractional foresail.

seriously though they are far from cheap, entry level boats are usualy 25-30 footers around 10-15 k a shot!

Compared to what I usually work, They're an entry level one! I'm a powerboat engineer and never really paid attention in rigging classes....its starting to show!

Well done Simon, points means prizes but i'm afraid I can only offer a hearty well done!

The next hulls are ready to be cut from my new balsa supply so if nyone wants to volunteer a boat to be made feel free and I shall hunt the plans.

All the best,

Lloyd