Little Muddle

KNP

Hello Kevin

I have to agree with the many others and say this is a wonderful layout. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all the posts, and your photos are excellent.

Again along with others I am impressed by your trees, one thing I have yet to attempt making myself.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures and updates.

Les

• RMweb Gold

To be honest no I haven't as I feel I'd need to work on them as a production line. I tend to work on one thing say the steam drifter, get fed up, move onto to something else and then come back to whatever I put down a week or two later.

My worry would be I'd let people down plus the cost of getting the armatures from the states has gone up and up.

I luckily had a good friend going to Florida about 15mths ago so she able to pick up some for me and bring them back in her luggage which made them cost effective.

This the site I got mine from is http://modeltreestore.com/ and as you can see even a 5" to 7" medium version is currently $15 for 5 plus postage, I picked mine up for around 20 for $10 so quite a difference in that relatively short space of time.

It's a shame one of our scenery retailers couldn't import them like International Models did a few years ago with Scale Tree armatures.I bought a few as they were very good value at the time.I know Jenny at Ceynix does armatures but is unwell at present and has cut back her workload  as a result.

• Like 1

On 17/03/2017 at 07:57, westerner said:

Just found this thread. I'm gobsmacked. Brilliant trees and drifter ( it would look really good if there were ropes attaching it to the quay). I will follow with interest.

Thanks, the drifter isn't finished yet so I need to be able to remove her to the work bench but once that final stage is reached she will be moored correctly complete with boarding ladder.

I have the running rigging to do, deck clutter to add and some navigation lights to finish.

As the picture shows the mooring ropes are ready!!!!!!!!!

686.JPG.bbd031130b88124861421247196c9921.JPG

Edited by KNP
  • Like 16

Excellent, I do have a thing about boats on layouts not being moored properly, possibly because I have been boating for nearly 40 years. As I said before the trees are wonderful. I must now go back and read all the pages of the thread.

Same here I was brought up with dingy sailing (Heron) down on the Thames at Cookham from the tender age of 5 and then onto a yacht based in Chicester basin for more years then I can remember.

Haven't for a number of years now but the memories are still fresh so mooring a boat will be second nature involving fore and aft lines, I might even treat the harbour as tidal and through in some springs as well.......

Thanks

• Like 2

Like others, I have just discovered this thread and have read it through from the beginning: what spectacular modeling! Your rendition of the English countryside is one of the most convincing I have seen. The craftsmanship involved in creating your trees and weathered buildings is of the highest standard.. Thanks for sharing this great layout, and please keep the pictures coming.

David

• Agree 1

Excellent modelling. The trees are great but then, so is all the detail. I guess you had to gently heat the corrugated roofing into the curvature needed. Everybody else has asked all but one question, what do you use for the fishing nets?

When I saw your dock pix I immediately thought John Ahern and Madder Valley.

I agree - this needs to be featured more widely.

[EDIT] This doesn't just need to be a featured layout, but you could run a whole techniques series from what you've displayed.

Edited by Coombe Barton

• RMweb Premium

My gast is well and truly flabbered!

I'm not really a GW fan, or a BLT fan.....and this is one of the most inspirational layouts I have ever seen.  Magnificent.

Like many said, it has a Pendon feel to it, which was in my mind after viewing the first photos and others have obviously felt the same.

One last thing, the viaduct - two Triang ones?  Fantastically worked into the scene, weathered and just natural.  I am supremely jealous of your scenic skills.

• Like 1

I particularly like the broken timber to the right of the quay wall steps. Small things like that and the fishing floats, nets, ropes etc make the scene. The boat looks plausible as a lay persons boat and no one would pick up on the fact that it isnt finished yet (only a steamer fan;-))

• Like 1

I particularly like the broken timber to the right of the quay wall steps. Small things like that and the fishing floats, nets, ropes etc make the scene. The boat looks plausible as a lay persons boat and no one would pick up on the fact that it isnt finished yet (only a steamer fan;-))

Hadn't noticed the broken timber - had to go back and look - masterful modelling.

Excellent modelling. The trees are great but then, so is all the detail. I guess you had to gently heat the corrugated roofing into the curvature needed. Everybody else has asked all but one question, what do you use for the fishing nets?

Thank you.

The roof sheeting was added to the former by working out the circumference length, making it out three pieces to form the central lap. This was then glued at just the ridge line and when set each side was bent over the former gluing with super glue and an accelerator as I went along until the section was fixed. Then just making another and gluing and lining up and so and so till the roof was cover. It was then carefully trimmed.

With regard to the netting it came from a model boat website - Modelling Timbers, where most of the items for Misty came from but I have just looked and they seem to stock it at the moment. A search on the web will find another stockist no doubt.

Edited by KNP

When I saw your dock pix I immediately thought John Ahern and Madder Valley.

I agree - this needs to be featured more widely.

[EDIT] This doesn't just need to be a featured layout, but you could run a whole techniques series from what you've displayed.

Many thanks for that comparison but I just model what I see and can visualise (most of the time) what it will look like in my minds eye before I start.

Many thanks for that comparison but I just model what I see and can visualise (most of the time) what it will look like in my minds eye before I start.

You say that - but the quality of your modelling says that many of us don't - so could you please show us.

On 18/03/2017 at 12:39, New Haven Neil said:

My gast is well and truly flabbered!

I'm not really a GW fan, or a BLT fan.....and this is one of the most inspirational layouts I have ever seen.  Magnificent.

Like many said, it has a Pendon feel to it, which was in my mind after viewing the first photos and others have obviously felt the same.

One last thing, the viaduct - two Triang ones?  Fantastically worked into the scene, weathered and just natural.  I am supremely jealous of your scenic skills.

The viaduct was a couple of Hornby ones I found second hand on e-bay, they have been repainted and tweaked to look like what they look like now!!

Posted a picture for a closer view.

There is one funny incident that happened, the backscene is glued with wallpaper paste to a 2mm MDF boarding fixed to the wall. When going over with a wall paper brush my thumb caught the sheet and ripped it.......a few choice words where said like - Oh bother!!!. You can just make it out to the right of the large single tree behind the viaduct, I managed to conceal it quite effectively as it was a very large hole?

I had no intention of trying to remove the section so I went out and bought a very large tree and planted it in front of it.......I suspect even this tree will be felled as I will probably replace it with a new prime tree.

This part of the layout was the first bit built as a 3 foot x 18 inch module and then added to the framework when that got built.

117.jpg.88534e44f4860c2882c7dbab8bda725e.jpg

Edited by KNP
  • Like 19

Good to see you taking the plunge with a layout topic and I am pleased that you are feeding the appetite for pictures of this layout.

A real pleasure to view your work.

Many thanks for your comments and if memory serves you where one of the first to tell me to do something.........!!!!

• Like 1

Many thanks for your comments and if memory serves you where one of the first to tell me to do something.........!!!!

I'm glad someone told you to get it on here, I for one am really enjoying the pics and info as above that goes with them.

All the best and keep the pics flowing.

• RMweb Premium

There is one funny incident that happened, the backscene is glued with wallpaper paste to a 2mm MDF boarding fixed to the wall. When going over with a wall paper brush my thumb caught the sheet and ripped it.......a few choice words where said like - Oh bother!!!. You can just make it out to the right of the large single tree behind the viaduct, I managed to conceal it quite effectively as it was a very large hole?

You mean this layout is not perfect afterall?!

• RMweb Premium

Like many others I have just found this thread (AndyB posted a link).

Wow, it's absolutely stunning, incredible attention to detail.

I will be following this with interest form now on.