Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Premium

This is one building that doesn't get seen very often as it is tucked behind the harbour warehouse building.

It is the pub and shop, basically a Scalescenes model with a few variations by me.

The roof is postcard strips with Will's ridge and hip tiles.

A very early model that has faded brick paper in a few places where I was using compatible inks for my printer at the time which turn out to have very poor UV protection.

I suspect one day the walls will be recovered but I am not happy with party wall and associated piers/parapet - one is to thick.

attachicon.gifPS1.jpg

attachicon.gifPS2.jpg

This side buts up against the backscene.

attachicon.gifPS3.jpg

Please note that even with the moving, dusting and picture taking Ivy & Daisy remained in deep conversation!

Kevin, the buildings look wonderful as always but I do find the pub signage a little anachronistic. The term Real Ale was not coined until the early 1970s while I suspect that Bar Snacks was not a term in common use in the 1930s. Please accept these comments as constructive rather than nitpicking.

Kevin, the buildings look wonderful as always but I do find the pub signage a little anachronistic. The term Real Ale was not coined until the early 1970s while I suspect that Bar Snacks was not a term in common use in the 1930s. Please accept these comments as constructive rather than nitpicking.

Thanks, no issues.

There's a few problems with this model that's why it will get remodelled one day.

The signs should be a simple re-make and I think the font style might be to modern as well.

Also, the other thing is that aluminium barrels weren't around at the time either so they need replacing with casks - again a simple fix.

A project for the future I think

And aluminium kegs, would it not still be wooden barrels in the thirties?

Agree, it's one of those things that's on my list to do, I even have some ready, but like all of us what we plan and end up doing can be completely different.

• Like 2

And aluminium kegs, would it not still be wooden barrels in the thirties?

Afraid so, but they're casks, not kegs!   Kegs have a single fill/dispense point and Casks have a hole for a tap, and a spile to let the air in.  Ally and stainless appeared in the 60's.

Informative diversionary website warning!

https://www.nickelinstitute.org/NickelUseInSociety/MaterialsSelectionAndUse/FoodAndBeverage/DesignFabricationAndWelding/BeerBarrels.aspx

best

Simon

Just a lovely day for lazily sitting here in the field looking out over the valley watching the world go by.

Peaceful, tranquil with a solitary person, Colonel's wife I believe, fishing with intent from the side of river.

1257.jpg.760d355e6260a1555494acf9f4393fbe.jpg

Not even any trains running to spoil the peace, a normal day then at Little Muddle - no trains!

Major lighting problem though throughout the Little Muddle realm, I have seven 600mm T4 20w 3400k linked strip lights behind a lighting pelmet providing the necessary illumination to the layout.

A few days ago three packed up working, so new tubes have been obtained from a local electrical shop but I could only get one working, so I have be scouring the internet for replacement fittings (they are now 10 years old) and after much effort found what I hope is a straight replacement.

Two now ordered and should be here Tuesday so that should brighten up things.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 15

Just a lovely day for lazily sitting here in the field looking out over the valley watching the world go by.

Peaceful, tranquil with a solitary person, Colonel's wife I believe, fishing with intent from the side of river.

1257.jpg

Not even any trains running to spoil the peace, a normal day then at Little Muddle - no trains!

Major lighting problem though throughout the Little Muddle realm, I have seven 600mm T4 20w 3400k linked strip lights behind a lighting pelmet providing the necessary illumination to the layout.

A few days ago three packed up working, so new tubes have been obtained from a local electrical shop but I could only get one working, so I have be scouring the internet for replacement fittings (they are now 10 years old) and after much effort found what I hope is a straight replacement.

Two now ordered and should be here Tuesday so that should brighten up things.

That picture is stunning, but I wish you wouldn’t post pictures of a real place and pass them off as a model......

:-)

I have been patiently waiting for the sun to show it itself so I can take some pictures of the creamery in natural light.

Yesterday was a nice sunny afternoon so I was able to take a large number of pictures and here is the first batch.

The canopy over the loading bay is separate with the rear supporting wall a permanent fixture on the layout.

More pictures to follow.

Fascinated by your model of the creamery, you mentioned in an earlier post that it is not based on a particular set of buildings? I am researching an old city milk depot in Edinburgh, but finding that very little archives remain from the company which ran it for decades. I shall persevere! Your whole layout is wonderful.

Marlyn

Those T4 lights can be a pain. Different manufacturers tube don't fit each other's fittings, and the fittings themselves are not too reliable. The newer T5 range is much better, compatibility between different suppliers and more standardisation.  

That picture is stunning, but I wish you wouldn’t post pictures of a real place and pass them off as a model......

:-)

Agree with you there not so much about passing it off as a model but every time I look at this thread it keeps reminding my about TREES ......and the task that I face on Chumely End ...trees ...trees ....trees  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:

Agree with you there not so much about passing it off as a model but every time I look at this thread it keeps reminding my about TREES ......and the task that I face on Chumely End ...trees ...trees ....trees  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:

Just wait till you need 100 ''O'' Gauge ones as well mate. :O

The pics are superb Kevin. Well done young man. :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P

And you'll need lots of them........

• Like 1

A while back on my Cakebox Challenge 'Long Walk Home' Mike (MikeOxon) provided me with a link to program that turned pictures into a hybrid paintings.

Its called Dynamic Auto-Painter that I did use on LWH but I have never bothered on LM, so with the lighting issues causing a few illumination problems I thought I would mess about and post a few on here for comments.

So using the picture of 5355 simmering quietly in the bay platform here are the three I have done.

1. Pastel

1258.jpg.d3ffb77574087e7635dc74c4af21fff1.jpg

2.Glamour

1259.jpg.9e3f96edc776d275f9d4b20adfa78d05.jpg

3.Watercolour

1260.jpg.fca0070c51b637a2eb3ff09b60d0510d.jpg

First one took ages, the others where much quicker.

Any thoughts?

Edited by KNP
  • Like 3

A while back on my Cakebox Challenge 'Long Walk Home' Mike (MikeOxon) provided me with a link to program that turned pictures into a hybrid paintings.

Its called Dynamic Auto-Painter that I did use on LWH but I have never bothered on LM, so with the lighting issues causing a few illumination problems I thought I would mess about and post a few on here for comments.

So using the picture of 5355 simmering quietly in the bay platform here are the three I have done.

1. Pastel

attachicon.gif1258.jpg

2.Glamour

attachicon.gif1259.jpg

3.Watercolour

attachicon.gif1260.jpg

Any thoughts?

Hmmmmm! Not sure about that  :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

1. Pastel

attachicon.gif1258.jpg

2.Glamour

attachicon.gif1259.jpg

3.Watercolour

attachicon.gif1260.jpg

Any thoughts?

Is there an option 4 Cuneo?

Mark

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

1. Pastel

attachicon.gif1258.jpg

2.Glamour

attachicon.gif1259.jpg

3.Watercolour

attachicon.gif1260.jpg

Any thoughts?

The watercolour effect might be a great tool for making scenic backdrops?

• RMweb Premium

1. Pastel

attachicon.gif1258.jpg

2.Glamour

attachicon.gif1259.jpg

3.Watercolour

attachicon.gif1260.jpg

Any thoughts?

Kevin, I like No 2 but not so much the others. Can you post the photo itself as a comparison please?

On 21/04/2018 at 04:22, St Enodoc said:

Kevin, I like No 2 but not so much the others. Can you post the photo itself as a comparison please?

Post 1848 but here it is again.

1242-Smoke.jpg.5401e3c889e82bbdc25b32d5c0ecbc4e.jpg

Edited by KNP
  • Like 11

1. Pastel

attachicon.gif1258.jpg

2.Glamour

attachicon.gif1259.jpg

3.Watercolour

attachicon.gif1260.jpg

Any thoughts?

A definite plus for me - just as long as you post the original, un-processed version as well everyone should be happy.

Chaz