Little Muddle

KNP

Trouble at Little Muddle.......!

It appears the new engine driver of the Dean Goods is not used to intrusive cameras and got a bit annoyed

1550a.jpg.d900fed763a0ad8c5640f47adff1da0a.jpg

We've had a word and he seems a bit happier now!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

The new crew from Modelu are now resident in the cab of 2322.

it took a bit of alteration work to get the engine driver to fit as I wanted but he's home now.

But it makes for a more realistic model. Superb.

But it makes for a more realistic model. Superb.

What it also shows is how good the Mainline model was! - I suppose the real answer is using an etched chassis to get rid of those cogs under the tender and improve the running and the detail on the undergubbinns. I have one of the initial Oxford Rail ones (the one with the overdone GWR lining) and it runs superbly (probably due to the twin flywheel- why did they change this?)....

I thought I might just show how I fitted the engine driver into Deano

Using this picture I took at Steam! as a guide, which incidentally turned out to be very useful for painting the pipes, gauges and levers as the cab originally was just black plastic.

P1070510.JPG.09ca6c65fadf536a7caead0eae2b035b.JPG

One problem with this model of the Deans Goods is that the internal curved wheel covers are much to large which resulted in the reverser lever and base being fitted nearer the middle of the cab than in real life.

So I removed and cut the base to fit the curve of the wheel arch giving a much more realistic position for the reverser lever as well as allowing it to be moved forward as well feeing up space.

IMG_0502.JPG.10bd163f3494d91b44b3171f2dca60fc.JPG

You can still see the hole for the original fixing position lug.

This then allowed me to have the room to fit the Modelu driver that almost matches that of the loco at Steam!

We are working in mini millimetres here so by filing smooth the side of the lever base and fixing a small plastic section to cover the hole this allowed the figure to nearly straddle the reverser base fitting.

The right leg was a problem so with surgery at the knee the leg was bent back a bit to rest on the wheel arch.

Also the left arm was 'adjusted' to lift up a bit to reach the regulator.

To further enhance the appearance the side of the wheel arch was painted red to match that of the reverser lever base.

With the crew the idea was that the driver would be leaning out the side of the cab and fireman appearing to have turned around to start shovelling some coal.

Here are the painted figures with the driver looking for all the world as if he is doing a jaunty little dance.....

IMG_0505.JPG.638e10fb1584e0ecded0915a681d6299.JPG

The middle figure is unrelated and was requested from the Modelu range by my grandson as he thought he look funny!! so as I tend to paint in batches he was added to the group.

So at this point let me introduce you to Stan Dare, the local Encombe artist that can be seen anywhere on the layout just standing and staring - looking, no doubt, for inspiration for his next project.

And at the moment he is, well I don't actually know, but I suspect he will suddenly pop up in a picture from time to time.

So here are the crew heading to Little Muddle in 2322 to get use to the route.

1557.jpg.5c7ad58863974566c9cc1c75f2cf2907.jpg

So all in all an interesting little challenge and to think I only paid £22 for the loco....

Edit - reverser!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 16

Using this picture I took at Steam! as a guide, which incidentally turned out to be very useful for painting the pipes, gauges and levers as the cab originally was just black plastic.

attachicon.gifP1070510.JPG

One problem with this model of the Deans Goods is that the internal curved wheel covers are much to large which resulted in the brake lever and base being fitted nearer the middle of the cab than in real life.

So I removed and cut the base to fit the curve of the wheel arch giving a much more realistic position for the brake lever as well as allowing it to be moved forward as well feeing up space.

attachicon.gifIMG_0502.JPG

This then allowed me to have the room to fit the Modelu driver that almost matches that of the loco at Steam!

We are working in mini millimetres here so by filing smooth the side of the lever base and fixing a small plastic section to cover the hole this allowed the figure to nearly straddle the brake base fitting.

The right leg was a problem so with surgery at the knee the leg was bent back a bit to rest on the wheel arch.

To further enhance the appearance the side of the wheel arch was painted red to match that of the brake lever base.

With the crew the idea was that the driver would be leaning out the side of the cab and fireman appearing to have turned around to start shovelling some coal.

Here are the painted figures with the driver looking for all the world as if he is doing a jaunty little dance.....

attachicon.gifIMG_0505.JPG

The middle figure is unrelated and was requested from the Modelu range by my grandson as he thought he look funny!! so as I tend to paint in batches he was added to the group.

So at this point let me introduce you to Stan Dare, the local Encombe artist that can be seen anywhere on the layout just standing and staring - looking, no doubt, for inspiration for his next project.

And at the moment he is, well I don't actually know, but I suspect he will suddenly pop up in a picture from time to time.

attachicon.gif1557.jpg

So all in all an interesting little challenge and to think I only paid £22 for the loco....

very nice. Those splashers are a pain. That isn't the brake, it's the reverser Edited by Denbridge

Looks excellent Kevin! Are the S&T Department on the way?? :)

Don't worry, they have already been sorted.

Knocked two over when placing the loco.....!!!

Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifP1070510.JPG

One problem with this model of the Deans Goods is that the internal curved wheel covers are much to large which resulted in the reverser lever and base being fitted nearer the middle of the cab than in real life.

So I removed and cut the base to fit the curve of the wheel arch giving a much more realistic position for the reverser lever as well as allowing it to be moved forward as well feeing up space.

attachicon.gifIMG_0502.JPG

We are working in mini millimetres here so by filing smooth the side of the lever base and fixing a small plastic section to cover the hole this allowed the figure to nearly straddle the reverser base fitting.

To further enhance the appearance the side of the wheel arch was painted red to match that of the reverser lever base.

attachicon.gifIMG_0505.JPG

attachicon.gif1557.jpg

Edit - reverser!

The driver puts me in mind of Wilson, Keppel and Betty...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d9/Wilson_Keppel_Sand_Dance.jpg

I noticed the other day that we had passed through 200,000 views and would like to thank everyone that follows this thread for their support and interest.

If you keep looking, I'll do my best to keep posting with pictures and other items.

About to pluck up the courage to take King Stephen apart and see what I can do with that front bogie gap....

KS1.jpg.ef7892d9f569e40731c198e45255f300.jpg

Let battle commence, well after I have had a cup of tea first - of course!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 10

It will be interesting to see what you do with the King - they come up at a very reasonable price now that the new model has been available for several years, and at least the colour is better! Saying that, my original one years ago was BR blue, and my recent one is also ......blue! (Just for nostalgic reasons - plus, I can’t stand to look at the ‘green’ on my the recent Hornby locos..

Edited by sp1

• RMweb Premium

Crossing the (main) line...

2322 enroute to Little Muddle with a local coal train…………

attachicon.gif1560.jpg

It must be really excellent coal or someone in Little Muddle has more money than sense, if the local Coal Merchant is shipping it in from Hickleton in South Yorkshire!

(One of my F-i-L’s old pits. He’s a former mining surveyor.)

It must be really excellent coal or someone in Little Muddle has more money than sense, if the local Coal Merchant is shipping it in from Hickleton in South Yorkshire!

(One of my F-i-L’s old pits. He’s a former mining surveyor.)

The local coal merchant had it shipped in specially because he liked the colour of it!

There is a very cosmopolitan look about the stock - Stroud, Birmingham, S.Yorkshire, Swansea and Paddington? 

These coal wagons must now be over 25 years old so will subject to some newer ones in the future.

Might even get a few more as this is the current fleet all on display in one go.

• RMweb Gold

Looks like Stan Dare is out and about as well?

Must be planning his next masterpiece!

attachicon.gif1570.jpg

I’m glad you are able to take a break from all your recent photographic expeditions and enjoy the tranquility of the countryside over the fence - until the silence is broken by the rumble of the approaching train.... sad that none knows what the Dean Goods sounds like!

• Like 1