Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, calvin Streeting said:

those split metal chassis are a pain to DCC.. i blew up a chip on the first one i tried.. :) good luck

Not too hard especially if you dismantle it completely like Kevin has.

Remove the little tags that connect the brush holders to the frames, then solder the motor wires for the decoder direct to the brush holder.

Solder the track wires from the decoder to two small pieces of single-sided PCB.

Reassemble the chassis, clamping the two bit of PCB between the halves with one facing each way.

Reassemble the chassis.

That's it.

A bit trickier if you don't want to take the chassis apart but you can usually spread the rear end enough (ooer missus) to get at the brush holders.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

I PX all my old locos when I went to DCC, I didn’t fancy trying to convert the split chassis ones.

Probably a sensible move once you get past a certain number. I suppose if you owned a few very loved ones you could convert but if the numbers head past double figures it may be time to sell. It all depends how much you enjoy this kind of work. I know one lad who absolutely thrives on it and is happy to do this kind of work for his mates for free because he loves it so much!

It takes all sorts!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On ‎09‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 12:04, KNP said:

One likes a challenge plus I like the look of the loco.....I'm even toying with the idea of removing the top feed pipework!

See, I now know what I'm talking about now I've got these books?

It's been a long term aspiration of mine to do the same with my panniers ('this year, next year, sometime, never?'), so I'll be following your progress with interest.  And having seen your results with the early 45xx frame extension and packing piece I've no doubt you'll do a very nice job.

John C.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

That bloke leaning on the fence looking at the (3RD TIME OF TRYING TO USE THE WORD T A T A'S as in Potatoes) seems to get everywhere, but never seems to be working!:rolleyes:haha.

Great pic though Kevin.

Edited by Andrew P
add words
  • Thanks 1

Love the shoe shop. How many tank loco crews and seated passengers are now footless in order to provide stock for this emporium? The image of senseless butchery on so many hapless victims has a Frankensteinian horror to it!

Is Cathcott Field another model or an area of Little Muddle?

• Thanks 1

Thanks

Dozens of  them.....

It was a name given by an RMWebber (Stubby 47) which stuck to a field located behind Little Muddle station and has been referred to as that since about 2 years ago.

I would point to the series of posts that evolved around for months but we don't have post numbers (at the moment) to send you to.....

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

Love the shoe shop. How many tank loco crews and seated passengers are now footless in order to provide stock for this emporium? The image of senseless butchery on so many hapless victims has a Frankensteinian horror to it!

Is Cathcott Field another model or an area of Little Muddle?

Now we know the real reason for your obtaining more small tank engines, Kevin.

Its so you can cut the drivers feet off, to stock the shoe shop!

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Andrew P said:

That bloke leaning on the fence looking at the (3RD TIME OF TRYING TO USE THE WORD T A T A'S as in Potatoes) seems to get everywhere, but never seems to be working!:rolleyes:haha.

Great pic though Kevin.

Try taters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I was completely fooled- I really thought that was a photograph of an old shop on which you were going to base a model!  Stunning work, Kevin .

Edited by Limpley Stoker
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 09/03/2019 at 16:27, KNP said:

Right then.

It's no good leaning on this fence that 8700 won't convert itself.

1806.jpg.d4755eb73576c6eb205c04a43e73be8a.jpg

Hope none of these chips explode in this field, that'll give a whole new meaning to bangers and mash!

Just come across this thread in my daily travels and I am definitely subscribing after seeing this! 

How did you make the leaves for the taters? Love the build and look forward to seeing more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, colin penfold said:

Puts me in mind of

"Charlie and me had another cup of tea, and then we went home...….."  :music:

'See, the trouble wif Fred is 'ee's too 'asty.  Yer never gets nowhere when yer too 'asty'///

• Agree 2

On 11/03/2019 at 16:28, KNP said:

No pressure then, will need to get this right then.....

Progress will be slow for the present as I'm finishing some buildings for the back of the layout.

What became known as Cathcott Field has started and if you look in some recent pictures you will see some new structures have appeared next to the large shoe factory but known one noticed as they weren't direct shots...….

They will be appearing in the BRM magazine around July time detailing there build but saying that I did find this old picture in a local newsagent....

1803.jpg.d464503de30126ea68a271e60414abc4.jpg

And this building has a shop interior to!

I expect I will drop back onto the Pannier every now and then, so will post as work progresses.

Mulling over what chip to fit as space is at a premium and I will need to remove some of the leadwork to form a gap...….don't want to rush!

And in the window is there a saggy old cloth cat....and the mice on the mouse organ?

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

Things are changing as the development creeps on.

The view is different.

IMG_0994.JPG.22d37b1ee2627d711418302920a6089e.JPG

It is doing exactly what I want it to do and that is make the station feel part of the town.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Great stuff Kevin. This is like watching a real town develop through time. It certainly keeps the interest up.  I wonder how long it will be until we see a glass & concrete supermarket, and a BR DMU in the platform?

John C.

• Funny 3