Little Muddle

KNP

2 hours ago, Bogie said:

Newsagentsy - another word added to the Queen's English.

You could say newsagency but that doesn't seem to have quite the same olde tyme effect.

I agree on a more subdued colour of some kind for the shop nameboard. Looking at colour photos of even the 1950s and 60s, shop fronts were really pretty dull with lots of low key colours like industrial dark greens, browns and wine reds. It wasn't until plastic and back lit fascias came in and shop owners began to make a real effort to drum up custom that bright colours, illumination and all that became common. A town high street in the 30s would seem positively drab to our eyes.

I personally think even the pale blue-grey is a bit daring.

• Agree 1

On 05/04/2019 at 09:18, Limpley Stoker said:

Congratulations to our new leader ........

E05E0A9F-E3AC-4797-97B0-A02C13753436.png

Just catching up on the topic - excellent shop front - when I came across this post.

I have never heard of this, and could not find it, but, clicking through several 'what the Hell is this?' bits on my profile, I did find another example, and buqqer me if I ain't featured.  My long gone 15 minutes of fame and I never even knew!

Not entirely sure what I think of this, but I'm not entirely sure I approve!

Leaderboard.jpg.e0095cacde9611a32268471d5d0bc640.jpg

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

21 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

What date was that? I want to go there and bask in the glory of your friendship ;)

It doesn't say, does it.  I was also bemused to discover that I had "points".  

What do points make?

Usually loss of driver's licence.

So these must be some other kind of points.

Anyway, a bit late to the party, but on the subject of ship fronts, I was going to contribute ....

819821466_Black-Country3.jpg.f8db8ad4878e565ead20fe3b15bfefa3.jpg655841461_Black-Country4.jpg.c5235cec157096abdfa5d006c19b6e2b.jpg1212928693_BlistsHill.jpg.662b95b1d6c6acd30a93ebdb79a778ba.jpg294956507_BlackCountry.jpg.cc9ba1ca6e4072f5d4c04b3c70eb64d4.jpg1513810413_Dublin2.jpg.37ab6e2b85f9e93c7eb6e4f422687702.jpg985624954_BlackCountry2.jpg.d4ba022e02b833393dfba1396ccc4738.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

8 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Points make prizes!

B. Forsyth (of blessed memory).

Oh dear, I hope I haven't spread some Castle Aching infection of off-topic trivia and banter!

Generally I just lurk responsibly, gazing awe-struck at KNP's modelling. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, calvin Streeting said:

i think thats the colour.. looks a bit shepard neame etc..  and the red goes with red door next door. if blue it keeps the seperate... 

shop.jpg.66e9805a31b687af98ae59c5c2103268.jpg

The blue definitely looks better.  However the bright red & yellow sign looks wrong, its much more likely to be black & white, (or actually newspaper, which is neither black nor white...)

Cheers, Dave.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I recognise some of those from a visit to the Black Country Museum, but then you've got Barnwell's of Dublin, which I delighted in exploring last year, and the Chemists from Blist Hill.

A great collection, definitely.

Al

• Agree 2

Well, I don't what was going on there....

First it wouldn't allow me to post the four previous pictures saying it exceeded the size total, which they didn't they were close but didn't exceed.

So I tried to post them individually and I got told I have used up the max size total but I hadn't posted anything?

Eventually got them to post but with a warning that I couldn't post for 30 seconds between each one.

Luckily I persevered just to get you these pictures.....

Ohhhh the tribulations and stress one has to go through!!!!! 

Edited by KNP
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

5 hours ago, KNP said:

Well, I don't what was going on there....

First it wouldn't allow me to post the four previous pictures saying it exceeded the size total, which they didn't they were close but didn't exceed.

So I posted them individually and I got told I have used up the max size total but I hadn't posted anything?

Eventually got them to post but with a warning that I couldn't post for 30 seconds between each one.

Luckily I persevered just to get you these pictures.....

Ohhhh the tribulations and stress one has to go through!!!!! 

Aye, if ever a man suffered.  Us modellers have a hard life.

• Agree 1