Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, KNP said:

And the return journey.

Back to Little Muddle to start it all over again!

1901.jpg.98fe851f32f44b01267672e3a6ae83e1.jpg

The driver is pretty good at driving backwards then?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Bogie said:

The driver is pretty good at driving backwards then?

Sorry Bogie.

It is this sort of nit - picking that I find myself increasingly at odds with on this forum and making me consider if I want to continue being part of it. 

Why do people feel the need to offer criticism for the sake of it. 

No mention is made of the quality of the image or the overall scene. It is almost as if people look for fault above all else. 

If Kevin plonks a driver in at both ends then one end will be wrong to someone. I suggest it is easier to add/remove a tail lamp to the end than remove a driver. I'm certainly not worried by it. 

Just enjoy the image. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I was always going to have an issue with the railcar and the driver so I decided to fit one at each end so it appeared correct in at least one direction.

It was pointed out by one of the followers of this thread (sorry I can't remember who as it was many pages ago) that sometimes the guard would sit in the opposite end doing paperwork etc.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Sorry Bogie.

It is this sort of nit - picking that I find myself increasingly at odds with on this forum and making me consider if I want to continue being part of it. 

Why do people feel the need to offer criticism for the sake of it. 

No mention is made of the quality of the image or the overall scene. It is almost as if people look for fault above all else. 

If Kevin plonks a driver in at both ends then one end will be wrong to someone. I suggest it is easier to add/remove a tail lamp to the end than remove a driver. I'm certainly not worried by it. 

Just enjoy the image. 

Rob. 

I was not having a go - more an attempt at humour.  Kevin thought it was funny.

You should know from my previous posts on this topic and ticks that I hold Little Muddle in the highest of esteem and consider it to be one of the best layouts on RMweb.  I had ticked "like" on all the previous photos.

I perhaps thought it too good to be true to find a chink in the armour (so to speak) that I could not resist.

If I have offended anyone - in particular Kevin - I apologise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
On 11/04/2019 at 10:48, Worsdell forever said:

This is a bit of a conundrum that affects autos, dmus, railcars/bubble cars, light engine diesel or electric, HSTs; anything with a cab at each end.  If it is to be used bi-directionally on a layout, do you put crew in one, both, or no cabs?

On Cwmdimbath, because we are in South Wales, the autos come up the valley to the terminus loco hauling, and propel back down.  Thus, they are only visible for a short time loco hauling, and are very quickly in the station where they habitually linger for the time it takes a coal train to clear the section and maybe for the empties to come up before propelling back to Bridgend.  So, my compromise is to have a fireman aboard the loco and a driver in the auto cab, which for Kevin's railcar would translate into a driver in each cab.  Thus a driver sits incorrectly in the auto cab, but only for a very short time.  We have not yet reached the stage when 4mm DCC drivers are able to change ends as they should...

There is no ideal solution to this, we all do the best we can for our own circumstances.  One of my auto sets has no driver because it is loco hauled by non-auto fitted locos in both directions, a thing that seems to have been common in the Tondu valleys if photos of Abergwynfi are anything to go by; Tondu shed never seems to have had more than the bare minimum number of auto-fitted locos to work it's services and works visits, boiler washouts, or other day to day problems may account for this.  

Edited by The Johnster
  • Informative/Useful 1

Well I do believe the shop sign is getting there.

I have one that seems to work so I have stitched a picture together to get the idea...

Shopfrontsign.jpg.82b69224635c81ae39cf5b0ea423698f.jpg

The remainder will be dressed but at the moment I am concentrating on getting the sign right.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

26 minutes ago, KNP said:

Well I do believe the shop sign is getting there.

I have one that seems to work so I have stitched a picture together to get the idea...

1912974606_Shopfrontsign.jpg.93be9401957889d4da022cddd0cf73cf.jpg

The remainder will be dressed but at the moment I am concentrating on getting the sign right.

Ive been waiting for Reed & Weap, could have a Solicitors Office upstairs?

Rich.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 14/04/2019 at 17:59, KNP said:

Miss Gray is still arguing with her mother whilst the city gent pretends not to be listening!

I think this works as I zoomed in, which is something I don't use a lot as I rather crop and adjust to close in to enlarge a picture.

1904.jpg.0187297c42aec050085e840bcd5df76c.jpg

Here’s a thought: If you had a few models of the same person in slightly different poses you could move them between shots (a bit like you did with the scarecrow).

So, for instance, the city gent could be sitting with his briefcase by his feet in a shot with a train in the distance but then in the next shot where the train is nearer he might be seen standing up carrying his case.

I can see this might present some technical difficulties, though!

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Agreed, I have been thinking of something similar.

Options include (i) find three different figures in similar attire, then fit them with three identical heads, (ii) do a "sitting" for Alan at Modelu in which you strike three different poses, or (iii) take a photo of a single figure, modify it, take another photo, modify it, take another photo.

The cost of the first two may be a bit much, so I'm considering the last one. Not top of the list though :)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

I never get bored with these pics Kevin, and going back to the DMU problem, I always stick one in each end, as a Driver off duty hitching a ride home, or to his signing on point.

The summer greenery is so convincing and really brightens up my breakfast cereal of a morning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/04/2019 at 14:13, KNP said:

Shop sign saga rumbles on.

Been designing a few versions!

Not happy yet....

I would try a buff or sand or cream coloured background with dark green or brown lettering. Browns, creams, greys and greens seemed popular, possibly because very bright paint was expensive? Or uncommon? I think all the ones you are working with there are still too colourful. You could try a more old-fashioned font if you can identify such a thing! Looking at the building fronts on John Ahern's Madder Valley is inspiring because he started work in the period you are modelling so just modelled what he saw in his local high street.

img_4996.jpg.70137f0e0555684694446f07ed8221c6.jpg

post-6882-0-39889100-1397606259.jpg.0a64938d9f78d12ac093770ac8b02a46.jpg

gm32-1-w640.jpg.eec6fb8da909bbfb4b08906b03246ecd.jpg

Colour_01.jpg.7142a82617bbed681c3902f0f66300af.jpg

Colour_04.jpg.635757d024143ef02c9d84b3b370dcb5.jpg

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

Browns, creams, greys and greens seemed popular, possibly because very bright paint was expensive? Or uncommon?

I would agree with Martin on this, if you look back up the thread to the real-world examples posted by Edwardian, and the model examples posted by VulcanBomber, they nearly all use subdued colours, which seems to be effective, and more evocative of the era.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 14/04/2019 at 14:19, The Johnster said:

This is a bit of a conundrum that affects autos, dmus, railcars/bubble cars, light engine diesel or electric, HSTs; anything with a cab at each end.  If it is to be used bi-directionally on a layout, do you put crew in one, both, or no cabs?

On Cwmdimbath, because we are in South Wales, the autos come up the valley to the terminus loco hauling, and propel back down.  Thus, they are only visible for a short time loco hauling, and are very quickly in the station where they habitually linger for the time it takes a coal train to clear the section and maybe for the empties to come up before propelling back to Bridgend.  So, my compromise is to have a fireman aboard the loco and a driver in the auto cab, which for Kevin's railcar would translate into a driver in each cab.  Thus a driver sits incorrectly in the auto cab, but only for a very short time.  We have not yet reached the stage when 4mm DCC drivers are able to change ends as they should...

There is no ideal solution to this, we all do the best we can for our own circumstances.  One of my auto sets has no driver because it is loco hauled by non-auto fitted locos in both directions, a thing that seems to have been common in the Tondu valleys if photos of Abergwynfi are anything to go by; Tondu shed never seems to have had more than the bare minimum number of auto-fitted locos to work it's services and works visits, boiler washouts, or other day to day problems may account for this.  

If you have the mechanical know-how you could possibly have driver figures in both cabs but who sit on seats that a lever can flip up and down into and out of sight as required. It would be possible to adjust the up position to the direction of travel as well, with a DCC gizmo, or possibly a DC directional thingamajig.

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I went to our local theatre last Friday, they were screening "Peterloo" which is a docu-drama of the "riot" in St Peter's fields in Manchester in 1819 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peterloo_Massacre).

I wasn't much taken with the movie, but the scenery and clothing were beautifully portrayed - I suspect the muted colours were a simple result of what vegetable dyes were available, and stable in those days.  Whilst crimson red was certainly available, it was likely to be far too expensive for the man in the street.  Synthetics started in 1856, and probably only became widely available in the 1880 - 90's. 

And fashions for colourful everyday clothes are pretty recent, I guess.

best

Simon

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I would say that for most working class and to a large extend middle class people up to the mid 60s, clothes were pretty dowdy and faded and strong colours were not only rare but discouraged because they were not hard wearing.  Clothes were a practical item, not an expression of one's personality, and were expected to last years before wearing out.  Working class folks would probably have 3 outfits, a Sunday best, 'smart going out', and work clothes, rigorously washed and mended.  Everybody wore hats or scarves, even in warm weather.  

Men's clothing was dark grey, dark blue, dark brown, or black, with maybe a check pattern jacket or flat cap.  Shirts were white, and only white.  Blazers would be though of as a bit flash.  Women wore ¾ length dresses or skirts with blouses, a little less dowdy than men's clothing and a summer dress might be quite flowery and even paired with a straw hat, but never, seriously never, red!  If it wasn't summer (summer seems to have been a pre-war phenomenon that rarely happened in the 50s), everybody wore massive ¾ length overcoats and carried umbrellas; hoods are not really apparent until the 1970s except for fishermen wearing sou'westers.

Men at work usually wore overalls or bib'n'brace over their ordinary clothes, or dust coats which were either mid blue, grey, or brown.  Women's working clothes tended to be blue check smocks.  A foreman is often identified by a dust coat and a clip board, and has a pencil behind his ear; supervisors have waistcoats and watches on chains.

Teenagers were invented in about 1956 and were a bit more style conscious; the girls sometimes wore 'slacks' and brightly coloured sweaters.  Denim was still a work material and not a fashion item.  The Beatles invented colour in 1964, but it took a couple of years to catch on.   But the 15 years between 1965 and 1980 changed everything in terms of clothing and fashion became something available to all levels of society, not necessarily to any beneficial effect (remember shell suits?).

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1