Little Muddle

KNP

Kevin, how did you get your crew in - tweezers and infinite patience over the top of the doors, or cut hole in cab bottom, stick bods to false floor and glue to underside?

58 minutes ago, spikey said:

Kevin, how did you get your crew in - tweezers and infinite patience over the top of the doors, or cut hole in cab bottom, stick bods to false floor and glue to underside?

Depends on the model, as they are all accessed differently.

This Pannier for example the bunker pivots off to expose the cab interior (its where I have hidden the chip which is wrapped in black electrical tape to hide from prying eyes!) I will then fix the figures this way.

The 14xx I was able to get them in through the opening door, Prairie - I fixed them to the chassis frame and lowered the body down, Railcar - I cut their feet off? the other Pannier was through the opening with tweezers!!!

• Informative/Useful 4

18 hours ago, checkrail said:

Nice work Kevin.  That pannier looks superb.  The shirtbutton totem suits them.

Thanks, for an old split chassis conversion to a 1996 model (I think) it has scrubbed up rather well.

Why did I do it, apart from getting it cheap off flea bay I fancied the challenge.....plus I have a different looking Pannier!

The motive fleet of Little Muddle keeps growing.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KNP said:

... the other Pannier was through the opening with tweezers!!!

Thanks Kevin.  I spent far too long trying to get a Modelu driver with arm raised to regulator into a Bachmann pannier before I realised that with my layout, I never normally see both sides of it.  So now, whichever way round it is, either the driver or the fireman's leaning on the cabside looking out ...

• Informative/Useful 1

For those of you interested here is the underside of the Bachmann chassis - wheel assembly removed!

It shows the thin plastic I used to keep the two halves from making contact plus super glue is another good insulator so any areas missed I covered with a layer.

The two wires are making each half 'live' which connect to the chip with the wheels picking up the power, transferring it to the chassis halves by the simple means of the wheel spindles (insulated in the middle to keep them separate) rubbing on the exposed metal in the seating - all very technical.

The motor is also separated from the chassis mountings and connected to the chip via two wires - this was the most difficult bit to insulate but again super glue came to the rescue.

Coupling loops in place for the S&W fittings, brass tub fixed in place vertically to allow the loop to be adjusted to the correct height and then glued

IMG_0050.jpg.465fef9ae0e7789e32c3340687d2d262.jpg

Transfer time, anything and everything pressed into service to hold the model in place for ease of fixing them

IMG_0114.jpg.a8d343a7f9bb03ea7dd1751fc49a618c.jpg

One thing I would say is that it is best to have a dry run first to see if the model is in the correct position to assist ease of applying. I find it best to move the model to suit you and not the other way round.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

FYI our local corner shop pulled their signage off, and under it is a lovely old (i reakon 1940's) sign. it was cream background with brown writing on 3 panels "proprietor name", "street No", "name", the street number was very large, i suppose with letter's being main comunication the Street No was more important.

J.Robinson       452    Fountain Stores

Its called Fountain Stores as there was once a Fountain at the junction, long since gone, and probably why a sink hole opened up not so long back, but thats another story.. :) I will try and get a photo if they have not bruied it again

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

7 hours ago, KNP said:

For those of you interested here is the underside of the Bachmann chassis - wheel assembly removed!

It shows the thin plastic I used to keep the two halves from making contact plus super glue is another good insulator so any areas missed I covered with a layer.

The two wires are making each half 'live' which connect to the chip with the wheels picking up the power, transferring it to the chassis halves by the simple means of the wheel spindles (insulated in the middle to keep them separate) rubbing on the exposed metal in the seating - all very technical.

The motor is also separated from the chassis mountings and connected to the chip via two wires - this was the most difficult bit to insulate but again super glue came to the rescue.

Coupling loops in place for the S&W fittings, brass tub fixed in place vertically to allow the loop to be adjusted to the correct height and then glued

IMG_0050.jpg.015518cac43e534f815c3705b7725154.jpg

Transfer time, anything and everything pressed into service to hold the model in place for ease of fixing them

IMG_0114.jpg.73b5e52b937721e3593d6973b487dc66.jpg

One thing I would say is that it is best to have a dry run first to see if the model is in the correct position to assist ease of applying. I find it best to move the model to suit you and not the other way round.

Well done, Kevin. That’s a handy tip about superglue being an insulator. I have usually drilled a clearance hole around the brush gear when chipping a split chassis 

It’s always nice to see someone dispelling the “magic” about dcc.

looking great, and you’ll never have traction problems.

Rich

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

That’ll never go anywhere, mate, the wheels’ve come orf...

Well, somebody was gong to say it. 

And it's upside down as well!

• RMweb Gold

YWhat a splendid ensemble! The gent sixth from the left is throwing some moves from his country dancing repertoire. None of these chaps will ever be unemployed.

Edited by Limpley Stoker
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

I think I can see what you're talking about. I won't spoil the fun for others.

The beauty of this composition is not only in the two locos but the foreground detail and the background buildings! Lovely stuff!

Edited by Harlequin
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KNP said:

Panniers at rest.

1933.jpg.d815d4f836158ce00189f3c5ecfa2a60.jpg

Or the original before I messed with it..

1932.jpg.8110ed210bc7098264fe65069f780f59.jpg

I prefer the lower one with more background, especially to the left with the Cottage sitting discretely in the Trees and the hills beyond.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1