Little Muddle

KNP

On 19/05/2019 at 19:44, KNP said:

I see the milk tank has actually left the creamery, didn't know it moved?

1959.jpg.52e09ff2486e08c0bfdadd67bd3c01a5.jpg

Thanks for giving us a picture of it - finally! You've done a beautiful job on dirtying it down. It always struck me as odd that while milk is one of the cleanest and purest of natural products (this is just a concept created by its colour of course, the stuff is jam-packed full of bacteria and such), but the tank owners and railway operators allowed them to become some of the absolutely filthiest vehicles on the railways. Would it have been so hard to hose them down after every couple of trips? I've always been curious as to why the effort wasn't made.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

It never was, though, and because some milk always spilled when the tanks were loaded and unloaded, they stank, especially in warm weather!  The glass lined insides were kept spotless of course, and were very thoroughly hosed out when the tanks were unloaded.  Interestingly, they were, I presume, more stable when they were loaded, as they were allowed to run at 55mph loaded and 45mph empty, though of course this may have been down to their greater braking power when loaded.

Exterior cleaning would have been more than just hosing down though; the muck was quite sticky and would have had to be cleaned off by physical effort.  Those tanks with company branding tended to be kept cleaner than others because of the advertising value of course.  Milk tanks were subject to what I think is a unique arrangement whereby the vehicles were owned by the railway but the actual tanks were owned by the dairies.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

The pelmet lighting has been removed, new fixing battens added and ready to fix LED's.....

But before all the strip lights where removed the Squadron Leader did a quick overpass of the Dean Goods whilst the lighting was OK.

1973.jpg.60f21cb92546bf99b21b0da527467856.jpg

Edited by KNP
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

..... And now for the Age of Enlightenment.

I suspect the difference in colour temperature of your LED lighting strips will initially be noticeable to your armchair audience but we will  soon get used to it!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, KNP said:

LED lights are fitted, not totally as I'm still waiting for the additional clips to arrive from Singapore, so they are drooping in a few places and held up cable ties in others.

Obviously photography is an interest of mine so it was quite crucial that I got the lighting colour balance correct to at least my eye.

I know you can mess about on editing suites to sort but it's nice to have it correct, or as near correct, as you can get it to save all that hassle.

Using the corner of the layout between the farm and creamery as a guide here is how it looks.

I have in fact got two runs of LED lights in an effort to the colour balance right for my 'armchair audience' see what you think.

Hi Kevin,

Interesting experiment. IMO the mild bluish tint of the first photo (Cool White) slightly accentuates the Blues and greens and gives the image a richness and appeal that the balanced photo #3 lacks. That looks a little washed out, like an outside photo taken in too bright a light, a midday shot. Compare the sky in #1 and #3 to see what I mean.

Modern Cool White LEDs seem to have got the colour balance issue pretty well spot on, avoiding the lurid blue cast of earlier releases. It's what I use in my railway room.

In a way it's like in the old days using Kodacolor or Fuji film depending on which produced results that suited your eye. Can't recall for sure which was which but wasn't Kodacolor cast slightly more towards the red, Fuji to the blue?

Warm white (#2) is the lighting you need to have on in the evenings if you want a peaceful sleep after a demanding night's railway work. I'll let you know in the morning if my 2+ hours of track painting under bright Cool White caused me any sleep disruption issues! However it wasn't really a controlled experiment as there was a wee dram consumed during that time.

Colin

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

A few more tweaks as I work out the colour levels.

1974.JPG.35f83ca3c950338f3e07f11029451370.JPG

Main twin Cat 2 ceiling tubes on as well, all in all I'm now beginning to see the light!!??!!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 15

3 hours ago, KNP said:

LED lights are fitted, not totally as I'm still waiting for the additional clips to arrive from Singapore, so they are drooping in a few places and held up cable ties in others.

Obviously photography is an interest of mine so it was quite crucial that I got the lighting colour balance correct to at least my eye.

I know you can mess about on editing suites to sort but it's nice to have it correct, or as near correct, as you can get it to save all that hassle.

Using the corner of the layout between the farm and creamery as a guide here is how it looks.

I have in fact got two runs of LED lights in an effort to the colour balance right for my 'armchair audience' see what you think.

First bank - White

L3w.jpg.aa71d347cb193d08546e7c375b8042b2.jpg

Second bank - Warm White

L4ww.jpg.31ca6c90ce49f017a95282bd51f9b845.jpg

But combine the two together and......

L5com.jpg.374fd6841d2b1842ac3e1d9e09fd434b.jpg

Both dimmers at 100% and no other room lights on.

This combination gives me 480 LED's per metre so it's bright but then that's what you need

Camera on Post Focus with Natural colour setting and ISO at 200.

No editing done, exactly as the camera saw it.

2 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

Hi Kevin,

Interesting experiment. IMO the mild bluish tint of the first photo (Cool White) slightly accentuates the Blues and greens and gives the image a richness and appeal that the balanced photo #3 lacks. That looks a little washed out, like an outside photo taken in too bright a light, a midday shot. Compare the sky in #1 and #3 to see what I mean.

Modern Cool White LEDs seem to have got the colour balance issue pretty well spot on, avoiding the lurid blue cast of earlier releases. It's what I use in my railway room.

In a way it's like in the old days using Kodacolor or Fuji film depending on which produced results that suited your eye. Can't recall for sure which was which but wasn't Kodacolor cast slightly more towards the red, Fuji to the blue?

Warm white (#2) is the lighting you need to have on in the evenings if you want a peaceful sleep after a demanding night's railway work. I'll let you know in the morning if my 2+ hours of track painting under bright Cool White caused me any sleep disruption issues! However it wasn't really a controlled experiment as there was a wee dram consumed during that time.

Colin

Now I prefer the last one, so it shows how, different peoples perception of light is, or even how the different Computer Screen shows the final results.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 minutes ago, KNP said:

Taken with the camera a distance away, fixed large aperture and all lights on.

1975.JPG.3fc15fb1d781fbb4622af685d2fb7c63.JPG

1976.JPG.8a5562c5b233253ea6bd06133cde184c.JPG

1977.JPG.50def0527ace96e724a36e82eca9a2e1.JPG

Not sure, it all seems quite muted and none defined if that makes any sense. 

• Agree 1

Kevin yes I prefer the last one too with the mixture of cold and warm white lighting.

That is as what suits my human eye but looking at my monitor screen.  Is the screen image close to the room image or does the digital bits play about with the image.

Another question for you.  

9 hours ago, KNP said:

Both dimmers at 100% and no other room lights on.

This combination gives me 480 LED's per metre so it's bright but then that's what you need

Camera on Post Focus with Natural colour setting and ISO at 200.

No editing done, exactly as the camera saw it.

IS it really that many Led's per metre.

Good source of information as I'm about to give some thought to lighting my layout with led's mainly because you get much more lumens for each watt and they don't run HOT.

I recently had some Fluorescent tubes replaced in my garage and Steve my electrician said he'd fit led tubes instead wow what a difference they made.  It is them that I was going to install in my workshop but after seeing you warm/cold combination I may leave the old warmer coloured tubes in place and have him fit new led ones along side independently switchable so I can mix them up somewhat. 

Good stuff.

Best

Edited by Barnaby
spelling
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Kevin yes I prefer the last one too with the mixture of cold and warm white lighting.

That is as what suits my human eye but looking at my monitor screen.  Is the screen image close to the room image or does the digital bits play about with the image.

Another question for you.  

IS it really that may Led's per metre.

Good source of information as I'm about to give some thought to lighting my layout with led's mainly because you get much more lumens for each watt and they don't run HOT.

Good stuff.

Best

You're right, Lumens Per Metre is really the thing to look for when assessing LED tapes.

And bad news: the brighter the LEDs (the more Lumens per metre), the hotter they run in general so some heat dissipation may be needed. Good grade tapes use a thicker copper substrate to help with this. Some sort of aluminium extrusion is the usual way to dissipate heat - either proprietary with the ability to fit a diffuser cover or just a bit of U channel from your local DIY shed.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Informative/Useful 1

30 minutes ago, calvin Streeting said:

very nice :) play with all the colours as orange or purple can make a nice morining or late evening... :) or dark blues for night

I'll try that later once I've got the settings correct for the camera, good idea.

• Like 1