Little Muddle

KNP

1 hour ago, Martin S-C said:

It puts my efforts to shame, both camera/lens quality and lighting. I am sure its been discussed before on here but what camera do you use Kevin?

Thanks

The camera is a Panasonic TZ100

Once I sort out the brightness and what levels to put both LED strips I now have the necessary amount of lighting to play with, in fact too much in some views but then I would rather have to much that can be controlled by the dimmers than to little.

No matter what camera you have the better the lighting is, then the better chance you have of taking a good picture with that camera.

A few close up to show the excellent moulding details.

1988.JPG.013116e154ae3a52d57c38a0d442ad04.JPG

1989.JPG.17ec9e74fb3c12746975e15f78746c23.JPG

A bit of weathering, new S&W couplings and the ends to paint black...

Edited by KNP
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

I'm assuming that one huge advantage of LEDs not often mentioned is that dimming does not affect the colour, providing you don't go to extremes.  When incandescent lamps are dimmed they get much redder. This should mean that once you have the colour settings you like you can adjust the brightness to suit and know the colours stay the same.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I’m pretty sure that the ends should be black on these Kev. Hornby have got them wrong again.

More info here 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

The photos are getting better, if that's possible,  too my eyes anyway.

Many thanks.

If I maybe so bold, lighting to me has always been a key part to any layout design so should be rated as important as the track work itself.

I always thought I had enough but with these led’s and the twin room striplights working together I now realise it wasn’t.  So when I get the hang of the different camera/light settings and the balance between the two.......

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 12:06, gwrrob said:

I’m pretty sure that the ends should be black on these Kev. Hornby have got them wrong again.

Rob's spot on it definitely need a lick of black paint on the ends.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Theo said:

I strive to achieve this level of realism on my own layout, but I fail miserably.....

Takes many years to build up this skill level,plus good eye for detail helps too..

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The new lighting looks great in the photos Kevin. The combo of strips seems to work well. Can I ask how the lighting look to the naked eye?  You mentioned 'very bright', and I'd like to have good but not glaring lighting for the operating sessions.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mikkel said:

The new lighting looks great in the photos Kevin. The combo of strips seems to work well. Can I ask how the lighting look to the naked eye?  You mentioned 'very bright', and I'd like to have good but not glaring lighting for the operating sessions.

Many thanks.

I like both LED strips on as they give, to my eye, a balanced level of lighting. They are brighter than the seven T4 450mm 3400k strip lights they replaced but what I can do is control the lighting level via the dimmers.

The last set of pictures had the dimmers full on (100%) but last night after I fitted the extra brackets I messed about with the lighting levels and had a nice effect with the white (95%) and the warm white (80%) - approx. levels.

What I like is that it gives me a sharp and crisp lighting along the entire length of the layout with no noticeable gaps.

No pictures taken but I will mess about with different effects and post the results.

So for your operating sessions I would over specify the lighting level and use the dimmers to tweak to the levels you need.

This is what I used from a well known auction site!

Superbright 5630 5730 LED Strip Lights Waterproof IP65 240leds/m 220V+EU/UK Plug (white and warm white) - I know they are waterproof but I reckoned the plastic cover would protect them whilst fixing and bending around corners.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 7