Little Muddle

KNP

Stoker - you are quite correct as lawns have been around a long time, at least since the 1500s if you are royalty or nobility, but we should discuss the subject in regard to the scenery Kevin is painstakingly researching for Little Muddle, which is why I commented in the way that I did.

The subject is a row of house backs that are behind the railway station. As we've discussed its a matter of social class (and these cottages would more likely be the homes of working class people rather than middle, or aspiring, middle class) as well as the size of settlement - in a town more people worked for a wage and had disposable income and more access to shops, so a lesser need to grow their own produce. In small villages the reverse was more likely to be true in all cases. Little Muddle is not Metroland and my personal view is that gardens turned over to vegetable plots, chicken coops and even a pigsty would be more appropriate. Perhaps one of the plots might be lawned, owned by someone with social aspirations, or perhaps a senior clerical worker at the local bank.

Of course its Kevin's decision but I feel its helpful to arm him with what we consider to be the most useful information applicable to what was the usual situation, rather the unusual. I shall now gracefully bow out of the back gardens debate!

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, KNP said:

Corgi Ruston Bucyrus crane.

Totally reworked with new paint job, rattle cans from Halfords and Vallejo for sides, then dusted over from a distance to get the 'mottled dirty' effect.

Restrung with Chinese silk which then 'fluffed up' when painted so been over it with some PVA rubbed in which has got rid of most of it, trimmed with scissors as well.

Never meant to be photographed this close.... 

2057.jpg.8bb4fb525ee37ccc56acae3b888cb256.jpg

I can remember being brought this a few years ago when released as a Christmas present, by Boxing Day it was in pieces and looking old....

My daughter said one day whilst looking at the layout, what happened to that nice crane we got you for Christmas,

I said, it's right in front of you...!!!

What that dirty old thing, she replied.

Well, I took it as a compliment...

The snooty property agent woman who comes to the flat occasionally to check inventory refused to handle one of my minerals because she said it would make her hands dirty, which I also took as a compliment.  Her disbelief when I explained that I'd deliberately made it look like that and that it was in fact perfectly clean was compounded by the realisation that it contained real, dirty, coal.  I know the idea that I'm not completely nuts is a ship that has sailed, hit the iceberg, sunk, been salvaged, sailed again, hit another iceberg and sunk again, but this was a bit too much for poor Princess...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

37 minutes ago, KNP said:

On a bright and sunny morning the auto train gets ready to depart for Encombe Town.

2058.jpg.383195ab7dbae8d6307f882c666adabf.jpg

Looks Beautiful Kevin! Is the point rodding Wills? and What colour/ how did you paint the rails

Regards Connor

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CCGWR said:

Looks Beautiful Kevin! Is the point rodding Wills? and What colour/ how did you paint the rails

Regards Connor

Thanks.

The new led lighting is having a major impact on the final result and it’s been a resounding success. The other benefit is the of light I have when working on the layout. Using twin led strips, one white and the warm white is giving a superb colour balance that my camera is lapping up!

Point rodding is Wills.

Track is Vallejo Beige Brown with an uneven wash of Lifcolor Track Dirt as a basis

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Once again, you spoil us kind Sir, just lovely.

Many thanks.

The lighting has proved key and I’m glad I over specified as the days of fighting shadows/graininess are over!!

Ever thought about them on your layouts? especially the new one!!

Edited by KNP

On 14/06/2019 at 20:02, KNP said:

And for no reason other than I took it to see the effect, not with any idea of posting.

Here is some trees and a gate...

2036.jpg.7cb6aeea16aa1012b1baa43f568e0c50.jpg

There are quite a few Pendonesque places in your world.  This is certainly one of them. 

It's all wonderful, and I have enjoyed, as ever, catching up on the photographs, but this scene is extra specially special!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Continuing on 4825 moves backwards over the, as yet unnamed, viaduct

2059.jpg.300dea5d1a59939ba89288e9cb1b2232.jpg

I see the Colonel's wife is fishing - still no luck!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 13

And from the other direction....

2060.jpg.7be5cb1674c38ef4251930e6231e7815.jpg

Why the other direction.....

well I had to move the tripod so the train kindly waited for me to set up!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 17