Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, KNP said:

It is indeed from 2mm greyboard as the main structure and then clad with postcard strips etc.

Plastic corrugated roof.

Rear wall, tissue paper worked with Roket glue to give an uneven surface

It's sort of this size....

IMG_0451.jpg.533493f4975182bca731f41a477a608f.jpg

Thanks, Kevin; this is inspirational!  I need a couple of pigeon lofts for Cwmdimbath's mountainside as rationale for the occasional special chartered by the Ogmore Forest Pigeon Fancier's Association of a summer evening (I like NPCCS).

On 16/07/2019 at 23:24, stock_2007 said:

Yes but your in a whole new area of  nudging now this is nudging while wearing a tie:crazy_mini:

Indeed, old school nudging was a classic era. One couldn't be seen dead nudging anything without your leather elbow-patch tweed jacket and pipe.

BTW, your remarks on non-homing pigeons, Kevin, reminds me that keeping fleeing pigeons is probably the worlds briefest hobby.

• Funny 2

10 hours ago, SR Chris said:

To assist in estimating dimensions, is that a British Standard thumb in the picture? :jester:

10 hours ago, wamwig said:

Thanks Kevin that's a great help and yes Chris I reckon that is a BS thumb!

10 hours ago, Benbow said:

Well it wouldn't be a metric one in the 1930's would it!!!  :laugh_mini:

10 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

Oh, I don't know, when my granddad was in primary school in the 30s the 'cane' was a metre ruler.

I understand he was well acquainted with it.

And I can well believe it...

I can confirm that the thumb is to a scale of 1:1 and when first introduced to this world was imperial and displayed as a pair....

As to whether it was to a British Standard, well I can assure you it was most definitely was, as it originated from Horsham. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

I do believe, and I am no expert on this as I have never kept pigeons, but I think a few additions are needed.

When I modelled the one behind the pub this is what I did based on some pictures I found on the internet which included an old sales brochure for one.

1217.jpg.b5651714b74081c1de28d74f8163245b.jpg

Edited by KNP
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

35 minutes ago, KNP said:

I do believe, and I am no expert on this as I have never kept pigeons, but I think a few additions are needed.

When I modelled the one behind the pub this is what I did based on some pictures I found on the internet which included an old sales brochure for one.

1217.jpg.ee8a7bf7b43a3ea103ea42da2c7093ae.jpg

Young Kevin, I think the Layout needs re naming to Little Gems.

You constantly show pics of little bits that are NOT normally seen, but are hidden away from the main pics you take, and probably many that only YOU know exist.

Cracking job mate

• Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, KNP said:

Thanks

I even keep chickens as well....

1214.jpg.271da2657ed135f65b6846f493c3c597.jpg

Though they do seem to have gone into hiding, might be because they heard the mention of...

'What for Sunday dinner today...!!!'

Must sort barrels as I do have some nice replacement wooden ones...

Another thing for the to do list!

A few years ago on the Bluebell Golden Arrow - sitting down for Sunday lunch, mum was shouting Mint Sauce to the sheep beside the line!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

18 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

Those runner beans and onions in that tiny allotment will never win any prizes - totally starved of sunlight down there I should think!

Agree

They should be OK now with the new led lighting

• Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 minutes ago, stock_2007 said:

sorry I'm showing my ignorance here but what is this loco?

It’s one of my favourite loco, indeed a Churchwood Mogul 4300 class 2-6-0 number 5355 built August 1918 and withdrawn early 1959. My Pen & Sword book on Moguls &Prairies by David Maidment has proved very useful over the last year.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

5355 in close up......

2149.jpg.a7170238501003753db97a50be9fa325.jpg

This a hybrid staged picture....no surprise there then!

The loco is standing on a section of track fixed to a piece of wood that I use when working on rolling stock.

This in turn is stood on a toolbox sitting on the pullout work top but in front of the layout with the camera angle adjusted to make look part of the layout.

The loco is central to the picture so is in focus with the rest of the picture blurred.

I had run out of brass lamp irons but some more have now arrived so those very heavy looking plastic ones will be replaced.

Plus I need to get rid of the mould line on the buffer stocks.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, stock_2007 said:

sorry I'm showing my ignorance here but what is this loco?

43xx as Kevin states, stock.  Over 300 built from 1911, in 43xx, 53xx, and 63xx number series and a series of Collett 73xx variants with side window cabs, but never all in service at the same time; parts of some in storage in the 1930s were used to build Manors and Granges.  5322 is preserved at Didcot if you want a squiz at the real thing.  Power Class 4MT under BR and 'blue' route availability, a very versatile and (IMHO) handsome mixed traffic loco.

Photos from the BR era often show them in filthy condition struggling along with ridiculously overloaded goods trains.  Don't confuse it with a similar looking loco built on the SVR and now in service on the WSR which has a smaller no.2 boiler; this was built out of a 5101 frame, boiler, engine, wheels and motion with the tanks removed and a Collett style cab and a 3.000 gallon tender.  This loco is of course less powerful than a 'full fat' 53xx because of the smaller boiler, and numbered as a 93xx to avoid representing any GW loco that ever actually existed; I believe there was a plan to build a series by the GW after the war but they never materialised

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, checkrail said:

That first one is so convincing - colours, textures etc.  Lovely stuff.

John C.

Thanks John.

I might have mentioned this before but the new lighting has given increased depth to the pictures by effectively enhancing the shadows thereby making the end result an even crisper and sharper view.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, KNP said:

Foot path to add to the rear then a 6ft high feather edge fence to add which will hide a lot at the front.....

Then it's a good job you've taken the photographs now.

I notice you wrote that it was almost too warm, not that it was too warm. :biggrin_mini2:.

7 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Then it's a good job you've taken the photographs now.

I notice you wrote that it was almost too warm, not that it was too warm. :biggrin_mini2:.

Correct.

Its a chicken and egg situation...no lights and it’s warm but I can’t see what I’m doing. Put the lights on and I can what I’m doing but then it gets too warm...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Kevin please pardon me poking my nose but I would have thought that enclosing everything inside a 6' fence is a modern thing and would have been rarer in the 30s. It's by no means everywhere now so you could certainly get away without and save hiding all your excellent work.

PS station cottages Wymondham, present day. Fencing separates the gardens from the station forecourt.

Station_cottages_as_Wymondham_-_geograph_org.uk_-_1335737.jpg.e08aec89de5de50c0fa2a08beee9a725.jpg

Edited by colin penfold
Addendum
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1