Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, KNP said:

And before I get some wag commenting on why a trawler has gun ports they are movable flaps to allow sea water to wash off the decks back overboard during heavy seas....!

Edit - or washing down the decks as well

Or because she's really a Q ship :coolclear:

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Inspired by Little Muddle’s visiting traction engine I was emboldened to saw off the chimney of my pristine model and place it on an old Airfix kit built Lomac wagon for which I had bought appropriate small diameter metal wheels. To my surprise it just fits under the 13ft height loading limit as this pic of the wagon sandwiched between two Birdcage brakes shows.

3D663530-C98B-4F08-99A7-DCA6C6026937.jpeg

Edited by Limpley Stoker
  • Like 10

3 hours ago, KNP said:

A midships of Misty

2257.jpg.703726b068174f9dfbf795f2a0c8c524.jpg

And before I get some wag commenting on why a trawler has gun ports they are movable flaps to allow sea water to wash off the decks back overboard during heavy seas....!

Edit - or washing down the decks as well

What a dreary and uninspiring explanation.  I thought it was a pirate ship.

Derek

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Mrkirtley800 said:

What a dreary and uninspiring explanation.  I thought it was a pirate ship.

Derek

Have you seen the price of fish these days??? Talk about robbery on the high seas!

• Funny 2

1 minute ago, Stubby47 said:

Have you seen the price of fish these days??? Talk about robbery on the high seas!

It's all about economy of scales....

The fisherman have to make a net profit so there is a catch to everything they do....

All very sole searching

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, KNP said:

Be aware the Fowler ploughing engine weighs circa 22tons....

Just saying!

Thank you for that info, but looking at this it looks as as though it will just be ok on this 34 ton wagon with a tare weight of 11 tons, 

1026CE5F-C61E-4114-B655-EDB71AD04BB0.jpeg

Edited by Limpley Stoker
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, KNP said:

It's all about economy of scales....

The fisherman have to make a net profit so there is a catch to everything they do....

All very sole searching

Are you sure this is the right plaice for fishy puns?

• Funny 2

1 minute ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Thank you for that info, but looking at this it looks as as though it will just be ok on this 34 ton wagon with a tare weight of 11 tons, 

Let's hope that you don't get a surprise one day of a bending lowmac!

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Is that in full working order, or is it the dry weight?

I believe it was working weight, found one reference to 21 tons then another of more than 21.

On 16/08/2019 at 20:05, KNP said:

The old sea dog is still waiting at the top of the steps to regale his yarns to any unsuspecting passerby

having recently visited the Scilly Isles, I feel that I should point out that your steps do not look anything like as wet and slippery as many we encountered there.  More weed and general encrustations plus blackening of the wet surfaces might create a more 'realistic' appearance.

• RMweb Premium

1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Is that in full working order, or is it the dry weight?

35 minutes ago, KNP said:

I believe it was working weight, found one reference to 21 tons then another of more than 21.

If it was loaded empty, ie. no coal or water and it might come in under 20 tons, depending on the water capacity of both boiler and water tank, the coal is probably only a few hundredweight, so not worth worrying about in this context.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, MikeOxon said:

having recently visited the Scilly Isles, I feel that I should point out that your steps do not look anything like as wet and slippery as many we encountered there.  More weed and general encrustations plus blackening of the wet surfaces might create a more 'realistic' appearance.

Ah, but Little Muddle is a long way from the Scillys, up at the muddy end of the Bristol Channel perhaps not a million miles from Bridgewater Bay.  The sea is murkier here, carrying the River Severn's silt and muck which hasn't had a chance to settle out yet, so you don't get so much weed growing as the sunlight doesn't penetrate like it does in the gin clear waters of the Western Approaches.  You've got to go down as far as Ilfracombe on the English side and the Gower on the Welsh before the water is decently clear.

And anyway, Misty is clearly moored in the harbour at a full high tide, or we would see the tide mark on the harbour wall.  So the steps descending into the water are fairly clean because they keep dry, though the ones underwater that are exposed at low tide are anything but clean, and will be covered with slimy grey mud plus a bit of weed.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MikeOxon said:

Don't be Scilly! This is a model.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

Pedant alert. Actually it’s the Isles of Scilly cos they get quite upset in case they are thought of as the silly isles. I go there a couple of times a year because it’s quite nice and not very silly! No trains tho. As an old sea dog (aah haar), Kev’s harbour walls look OK to me, maybe a bit new but this is the 30’s when all this stuff was new....

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1