Little Muddle

KNP

38 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

Would they have had a block of salt some time before the EU existed?

Salt, technically mineral, blocks have been used by by farmers for generations.  They provide essential minerals essential for the animals health that they can't get from grazing the vegetation.

Roja

• Informative/Useful 2

Well I’m ready for a challenge...

Cube of salt here we come, trough is made out of card just needs painting.

So I feel a sheepish, salt licking, water supping and grass grazing diorama called for...

Edited by KNP
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Are they lambs, or full grown sheep?  Look quite young to my untutored eye.

Common salt has a density of 2.16 g/cm3, so 10 kg would be about 4.6 litres, which would be more or less 6” x 8” x 6” in old money.  2mm cube?

That said, the rather fetching translucent orangey pink suggests there are other minerals in there too.  Probably doesn’t make much difference to the density though.

atb

Simon

8 hours ago, Simond said:

Common salt has a density of 2.16 g/cm3, so 10 kg would be about 4.6 litres, which would be more or less 6” x 8” x 6” in old money.  2mm cube?

That said, the rather fetching translucent orangey pink suggests there are other minerals in there too.  Probably doesn’t make much difference to the density though.

atb

Simon

Not sure of their age, Simon, as they came in a plastic bag from Dart.

The others, with black faces, are Modelscene and they did have lambs with them....they are in the field next to Encombe Town signal box with mum....

I will probably go for 3mm cubes as I have to think of my fingers and the guillotine!!!!

Thanks

9 hours ago, Simond said:

atb

Simon

Apart from salt they contain trace elements such as iron, calcium, copper, manganese, zinc and iodine, as well as a few others.

Roja

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 15/08/2019 at 23:31, The Johnster said:
5 hours ago, KNP said:

Not sure of their age, Simon, as they came in a plastic bag from Dart.

The others, with black faces, are Modelscene and they did have lambs with them....they are in the field next to Encombe Town signal box with mum....

I will probably go for 3mm cubes as I have to think of my fingers and the guillotine!!!!

Thanks

My South Wales Valley ovines at Cwmdimbath are of 2 breeds, Peco Modelscene and Bachmann.  The Bachmanns are noticeably plumper and healthier looking than the Modelscenes, which look much more like the scrag ends that one sees everywhere they shouldn't be in the Valleys; my story is that the Bachmanns have recently been imported as breeding stock from Romney Marsh and are a bit nonplussed at the verticality of the scenery and the weather.  They have registered their discontent by staging a sit down strike on the Remploy Road overbridge (I refuse to have a bus on it).  More Modelscene scruffers are on the shopping list as I am at the start of an ongoing program of mountainside improvements.  This may involve some 2mm scale beasts towards the top of the mountain as perspective modelling.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

27 minutes ago, KNP said:

To me they are just sheep with the wool pulled over their eyes......

Joke time >>>>>>

Why don't sheep drink in a pub?

Because they got Baaaaaared.

I thank you

Groan button please :rolleyes:

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Out for a stroll this afternoon ended up on the bridge leading to Middle Farm

The Colonel was still fishing, even in this heat he still had his thick tweed on.

Further down I noticed his wife also still fishing.

'I wonder if she has had a nibble today?'

Leaving them to it I walked off back down the lane

2296.jpg.60900cab350604b71a0b1fb6285b5024.jpg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1