Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold

Kevin, your photographs are absolutely superb, they show off the quality of your modelling to perfection.

I also enjoyed the videos as well, it's nice to see some movement through your beautifully modelled scenes.

Keep 'em coming.

Brian.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

As I cannot produce modelling that even comes close to the standard of this, Kevin, it feels churlish to offer the following observations; please take them as observations and not criticism.

There should be side lamps on the brake van of an unfitted or part fitted train.  Side lamps had lenses 'fore and aft', clear facing forward so that loco crew could confirm in darkness that the van was attached to the train, and with removable red shade facing to rear.  The shades were removed if the van was in a loop or siding with a running line parallel to it, or running on a parallel slow or relief line, in order to reassure the driver of an overtaking train at night that he was not about to collide with it.  These lamps could be reversed to show red forward and white to rear as a request by the guard to have the train stopped if such a situation as demanded this arose.

Side lamps are available from Modelu, and should be painted black.

More seriously, 8752 should not have a top feed in this livery, though boiler changes later on may have provided the loco with one.  Removal (I've recently done the job on a Baccy 57xx) is difficult and potentially destructive; you have to cut away the top feed casing and the supply pipes which run along the tank tops then down the sides just ahead of the cab, then (this is the awkward part) beneath the tank to disappear among the injector pipework, without damaging the injector pipework...

These boilers were common to 57xx/8750 and variants, and 2721/1854 classes after rebuild to pannier tank form.  There were spares, in the sense that there was a pool of boilers that exceeded the locos in number, but no boiler was specifically nominated as a spare.  When a loco comes into main works for overhaul, the work on the loco takes about 3 weeks and the boiler about 4, so rather than block the works bay for another week and in order to get the loco back out earning money, a pool boiler is fitted.  No distinction is made in the pool between boilers with or without top feed, and the boiler a loco is built with does not stay with it all it's life; in a class a big as these panniers it is unlikely that it will ever be on the same loco twice!

If you think this is a PITA on panniers, be grateful you don't model Black 5s...

• Informative/Useful 5

4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

As I cannot produce modelling that even comes close to the standard of this, Kevin, it feels churlish to offer the following observations; please take them as observations and not criticism.

There should be side lamps on the brake van of an unfitted or part fitted train.  Side lamps had lenses 'fore and aft', clear facing forward so that loco crew could confirm in darkness that the van was attached to the train, and with removable red shade facing to rear.  The shades were removed if the van was in a loop or siding with a running line parallel to it, or running on a parallel slow or relief line, in order to reassure the driver of an overtaking train at night that he was not about to collide with it.  These lamps could be reversed to show red forward and white to rear as a request by the guard to have the train stopped if such a situation as demanded this arose.

Side lamps are available from Modelu, and should be painted black.

More seriously, 8752 should not have a top feed in this livery, though boiler changes later on may have provided the loco with one.  Removal (I've recently done the job on a Baccy 57xx) is difficult and potentially destructive; you have to cut away the top feed casing and the supply pipes which run along the tank tops then down the sides just ahead of the cab, then (this is the awkward part) beneath the tank to disappear among the injector pipework, without damaging the injector pipework...

These boilers were common to 57xx/8750 and variants, and 2721/1854 classes after rebuild to pannier tank form.  There were spares, in the sense that there was a pool of boilers that exceeded the locos in number, but no boiler was specifically nominated as a spare.  When a loco comes into main works for overhaul, the work on the loco takes about 3 weeks and the boiler about 4, so rather than block the works bay for another week and in order to get the loco back out earning money, a pool boiler is fitted.  No distinction is made in the pool between boilers with or without top feed, and the boiler a loco is built with does not stay with it all it's life; in a class a big as these panniers it is unlikely that it will ever be on the same loco twice!

If you think this is a PITA on panniers, be grateful you don't model Black 5s...

Many thanks for this and please feel free to keep posting those observations as many have been taken on board in the past and acted on.

You mean I have to buy more lamps!!!!!

It wasn't all that long ago that I was being told off for not fitting any...….

I'm having enough problems remembering to change them, if you look at the recent video the loco is still carrying a front lamp for one running light.....but in the last set of pictures it has moved when I spotted it.

I'll look into this in due course, rest assured.

I was aware of the top feed issue and it was mentioned about 18 odd months ago but I decided to leave for now until I had a decent fleet of loco's.

It is one of those little jobs I fancy having ago at and I nearly started a while back but then ended up building the cottages instead - much easier to do.

Then the ploughing engine arrived and I ended up sorting that out.

Then I brought those six wagons cheap at Swindon and fancied doing those

You never know, now they are all but finished I might.....but then of course I have the hull sitting in the harbour for the Clyde Puffer and was looking at starting that so?

Watch this space as my version of this hobby tends to be unscripted or planned and goes in the direction of something that catches my interest at the time.

I even had the crazy idea of building the Squadron Leaders aircraft and having that appear in shot...…...

You just don't know!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

It's an SE 5, isn't it?  From the way he flies it you could include some foliage in the undercarriage...

Modelu side lamps come with the slot correctly orientated for the side lamp brackets on your brake van.  Any train not fully fitted throughout with automatic vacuum or air brakes needs them.

If it's any help I started a thread on the subject of topfeed removal on Kits'n'Scratch on Sept 9; it should have probably been in RTR conversions/kitbashes.  Try not to get too sidetracked by her nipple...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Kevin

Is it me - probably - but the subject in model pictures often looks much larger than could be achieved in a picture of the real thing?

Your pictures are amazing and the effort you go to is to be admired but the picture of the tail of the flying banana almost looks like one of those cinemascope pictures of years ago and that gives the game away (that it is a model).

I'm not criticising just making an observation.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ray H said:

Kevin

Is it me - probably - but the subject in model pictures often looks much larger than could be achieved in a picture of the real thing?

Your pictures are amazing and the effort you go to is to be admired but the picture of the tail of the flying banana almost looks like one of those cinemascope pictures of years ago and that gives the game away (that it is a model).

I'm not criticising just making an observation.

I don't understand what you are saying, everything is to scale and is proportional to each other so how can it look bigger because its a model?

• Agree 1

I suspect it’s to do with the magnifying effect of the photographic lens.  

If you photograph the real thing, the autocoach would be ~ 14 feet high, the lens is about 1” or at most 2” in diameter, and the image sensor is about an inch diagonally.

if the subject is a model, then the coach is about 2” high, but the lens and sensor haven’t scaled down in proportion.  The distance from subject to lens has reduced considerably, of course.

I think this is likely to affect the image in terms of its apparent proportions.  A telephoto lens will give a different image again.  Hopefully there’ll be someone who knows what (s)he’s talking about soon, they can confirm or correct my ramblings!

Atb

Simon

• Agree 4

I have to say that the level of modelling is truly inspiring, so much so that my wife has suggested that we too could have our own railway!

One question if I may...

What are the advantages of the couplings on your new wagons over say the Hornby standard ones?
Thanks in advance...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 20/10/2019 at 18:44, Andrew P said:

Great pics as always Kevin,:good: but to me those Railcars never looked finished, :o to me they seem to be screaming out for some BIG round Buffer Heads at the ends of the Shanks.:no2:

I understand your phobia for a pair of BIG round buffers so No 8 has been the workshop with a view to aid your recovery......

Here she is with a nice pair of white ones....

IMG_0829.jpg.08525511eebb66d8e3b2c06fcbee74a7.jpg

• Like 9
  • Funny 8

55 minutes ago, KNP said:

I understand your phobia for a pair of BIG round buffers so No 8 has been the workshop with a view to aid your recovery......

Here she is with a nice pair of white ones....

IMG_0829.jpg.08525511eebb66d8e3b2c06fcbee74a7.jpg

Nice pair of Twin Airbags mate.:nono:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning Kevin, just catching up with the last couple of days and as ever the photos and now videos are great.

I too have thought about removing the Top feeds and indeed tried on an old Hornby 48xx ages ago. But its a pain and to get rid of all the pipework, plus the kink in the handrail, I have decided can wait until some nice chap at Blue Box or Red Box, releases a non top feed version. I of course haven't painted the Panniers into Shirtbutton livery -m but intend to.

Dont tell the Purists, but I intend to buy a Model Rail 16xx Pannier and paint it into Shirtbutton livery.

Rule 1 applies - Its my railway and my interpretation :-)

Keep doing what you are doing, its great catching up with Little Muddle.

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Thanks 1