Little Muddle

KNP

2 hours ago, KNP said:

Nobody about!

Trying to find a casually dressed person reading a paper that I can seat at the patio table.

No luck at the moment, did think about seeing Alan at Modelu and have another version of me sitting there......frightening

No time to sit about reading the paper. Get the corn cut,spuds up, see to the sheep, find the pigs, never short of a job on the farm!! Mind you if you let the workers lounge about then I suppose you can as well. I am amazed the place looks so well cared for when nobody does any work. :o:rolleyes: 

Edited by Benbow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, KNP said:

The saga of Kneller Hall has been absent for a few days as I have been working on another project.

Nothing to do with railways but a lot to do with scenery.

I received a request to build a model for my Granddaughter over the half term so she could take it in at the end of this week to do a 'show and tell' lesson on the Stone Age and where they live.

Well there's a challenge, not for the first time I might add because my grandchildren have taken to their local Primary School, Glory Farm, various models over the last few years of a back garden, Pyramid, working volcano and a Roman villa, now add a Stone Age settlement.....

Might have gone a bit overboard but the other ones get used again and again as props for lessons.

So here it is and reason why 5934 has taken a back seat.

SAS2.jpg.22327ba354ae8bcc1e5c82d7755b04be.jpg

Work on 5934 will be resuming.....

I'm sure when I was at school, you were supposed to make such things yourself, not get your grandad to do it!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Hi Kevin maybe a little late, but I now have some pics of my Hall

Please remember it was done a good few years ago, apart from the cylinders update, and is missing

name and numberplates, and a couple of handrails. I also note it's probably technically a modified

Hall as I fitted the fire-irons box.

DSC_0616.JPG.2edc96030d839656e9352ffb5a911c10.JPG

DSC_0618.JPG.ea05bf5e38644c312c4f625a15446dd8.JPG

Hopefully it gives some idea of what improvement can be obtained with the cylinder upgrade.

I might well return to this if I can come across some finer scale drivers from the more recent products. I have

also noted that I already have another "base" model in stock to perhaps have another go.

All the best

TONY

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, KNP said:

Taken from the rough ground by the potato field under the canopy of a large tree.

2579.jpg.4bcb28f6e2a57d2d1b22f88e433c95dd.jpg

How many people there have an MBE to get a town named after them?  Kneller Hall has been expertly rehabilitated - I hope the chassis can get its makeover soon !

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, checkrail said:

Very nice.  Funny isn't it - one starts off building a branch line but the allure of main line trains passing becomes irresistible!

I am finding this currently. I love branch lines, however, I also love just watching the trains go by on a mainline layout. Watching Chilcompton Tunnel at a show last year really hammered home what I like: long trains trundling through the countryside! 

Sorry to hijack your thread Kevin! I have to say you have done a great job on the Hall loco.

Regards,

Nick.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

I've just spent the best part of a week reading all 215 pages of this thread, and I have to say I have enjoyed every post. A truly inspirational piece of modelling. Thank you for sharing this wonderful model, Kevin.

And to think it''s just up the road in Bicester! My wife is from Kirtlington and we live near Witney.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/10/2019 at 22:02, KNP said:

I expect many of you use this but I find one of these bending jigs very useful

IMG_0816.jpg.84c6526cc4c48db3a9317b0f1b2c2b40.jpg

These are even more useful when you glue a piece of 1mm plasticard on the back of them. Drill out the hole you use most (or if you're a sucker for punishment, all of them...) and it keeps the wire that bit more stable when making the 2nd bend.

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

The recent topic about the hall has prompted me to sort out my effort at improving the model which I did when I was about 17, so long ago! I was inspired by the magazine article mentioned earlier. I bought the model by part exchanging my Tri-ang trans-continental stuff.

1621621695_P1040553(2).JPG.e13634149ae653974a248fd9944d566e.JPG

There are a lot of things wrong with what I did, I can plead ignorance at the time, and over the years it has gained new wheels but not much else. a few years ago the front footplate fell off due to the failure of the glue so that needed repairing and running is poor now, I think the motor needs remagnetising.

I have taken this model to the club to show younger members what I did when I was a youth and that you do get better with experience.

Brian

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 88C said:

The recent topic about the hall has prompted me to sort out my effort at improving the model which I did when I was about 17, so long ago! I was inspired by the magazine article mentioned earlier. I bought the model by part exchanging my Tri-ang trans-continental stuff.

1621621695_P1040553(2).JPG.e13634149ae653974a248fd9944d566e.JPG

There are a lot of things wrong with what I did, I can plead ignorance at the time, and over the years it has gained new wheels but not much else. a few years ago the front footplate fell off due to the failure of the glue so that needed repairing and running is poor now, I think the motor needs remagnetising.

I have taken this model to the club to show younger members what I did when I was a youth and that you do get better with experience.

Brian

Years ago, I too had a go at a Crownline kit to make my Albert Hall better, but could never get it right.

Good to see that you didn't give up as easily!

• Friendly/supportive 2

Back from our trip 'up north' to see friends where I ended up with some paint.

Humbrol RC405 was recommended as the best match so I gave it a go.

After a really good, lengthy mix the colour looks OK at the moment, bearing in mind all my locos have a weathered black wash over them .

Hand applied, don't have an airbrush and with a couple of coats of Dullcote to seal.

Here she is poised with some other locos that where out on the layout.

KH25.jpg.269d969d21b0f9e98fc49c0a1ec42839.jpg

Transfers ordered from Fox for the lining.

A lot of tidying needed to the paint, then will have to wait for the transfers as this loco will be modelled in a much used state.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Kevin,

Going back a while when you fitted the LED strip lighting, I vaguely remember that you got the clips from abroad somewhere, but I can't remember where and whether or not you mentioned the source,  I have got the club to order the lights,  but not the clips. Could you please oblige with the details or a link.  TIA.

Came off e-bay and this what they are plus product number

100Pcs 18mm Silicone Mounting Bracket Clip Fastener for Fixing LED Strip Light

( 153405200042 )

Size will be dependant on LED strip width of course.

Edited by KNP
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

You're lucky Kev that LM is set in a period long before the talk of BR Gas Turbines 18000.:D

Will you be getting a Gas Turbine then Robin?

Personally I think I need more Panniers :-)

• Funny 1