Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold

A lovely selection of shots- the one showing the viaduct curve ahead is a winner. It seems to make this small engine and its crew look more vulnerable to the elements. I like the weathering on the front lamp - it was obviously in the lamp hut earlier.

Edited by Limpley Stoker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

I know you're partial to a diesel railcar so how about one of these Heljan AEC versions next year. Obviously it will be in chocolate and cream when released.

1358488093_heljanaecdiesel.jpg.80d30faf5719cc0167bd59c1cefcb67b.jpg

Thanks for the thought Rob but I do have a Hornby ones but they are to late for my layout

This model came into service mid 1940

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, SteveTheSteam said:

And this is what makes this layout special - a train IN the landscape  - not a railway with some landscaping

Thanks

This is exactly what I was aiming for when I started this layout all those years ago...

Scenery first then a railway line driven through it.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

Little has been posted on Kneller Hall for a while but work has been processing slowly to stage where I felt happy to post some pictures.

I have to admit that I have perhaps gone a bit overboard and though this model is over 40 years old I believed I could breath new life into it.

One major change was the original idea to leave off the break arms and pads but this grated to much, so much so that I obtained some under floor parts from Peters Spares where these items where removed and adapted to fit this chassis

Transfers added, brass name and number plates 'in stock' and will be added once all the work is done

KH26.jpg.e94567fd03e7c05f721bfbb80791d22b.jpg

KH27.jpg.07a7e8221468f4c9bd0edbaf9b7681e9.jpg

Please note running gear not complete and fitted upside down...….that's what happens when working on the model upside on the work bench!!

Does anyone out there know if I can use the Grange cylinder and gear as it looks the same?

Edited by KNP
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
On 27/11/2019 at 18:04, KNP said:

Thanks for the thought Rob but I do have a Hornby ones but they are to late for my layout

This model came into service mid 1940

Surely Rule 1 applies Kevin.... I was even toying with the idea of doing a cut and shut with the Heljan and Hornby ones to make railcars 37 & 38 with an intermediate carriage.... that would be very late for Henley, but if I had a spare couple of weeks, could be a good project!

On 27/11/2019 at 18:39, KNP said:

Same picture but from lower angle gives a whole new view.

2603.jpg.7380a0395855a6fad1989116263d1379.jpg

Then if you mess with some photo editing

2604.jpg.e10c22abd3dc8a80addd64eb3a621109.jpg

Add a bit of vignette and cropping

The picture I hope you agree sort of....transforms

2605.jpg.c6f0ff191031b23568be1f08b022083d.jpg

This last shot is great.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Surely Rule 1 applies Kevin.... I was even toying with the idea of doing a cut and shut with the Heljan and Hornby ones to make railcars 37 & 38 with an intermediate carriage.... that would be very late for Henley, but if I had a spare couple of weeks, could be a good project!

This last shot is great.

Thanks.

Rule 1 could apply but I already have three Railcars....Dapol one (No.8), the Hornby one and a Lima parcel one so I feel I have enough!

Surely, yes, ok I believe you??

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, KNP said:

Thanks.

Rule 1 could apply but I already have three Railcars....Dapol one (No.8), the Hornby one and a Lima parcel one so I feel I have enough!

Surely, yes, ok I believe you??

Yes, I’d love to start a railcar conversion project........ but that will undoubtably go the same direction as other projects that I have only 1/2 finished!

I seem to remember that many years ago Chris Leigh aka @dibber25 did a conversion of a Lima railcar into 37 & 38.

Btw I’ve suggested Little Muddle as the layout of the year and you as modeller of the year. Your layout is truly inspirational. Thank you for continuing to share.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Yes, I’d love to start a railcar conversion project........ but that will undoubtably go the same direction as other projects that I have only 1/2 finished!

I seem to remember that many years ago Chris Leigh aka @dibber25 did a conversion of a Lima railcar into 37 & 38.

Btw I’ve suggested Little Muddle as the layout of the year and you as modeller of the year. Your layout is truly inspirational. Thank you for continuing to share.

Thanks for that

1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

I don't recall doing a conversion (that doesn't mean I didn't do one - just that the memory isn't that great these days). I certainly built the Westward two-car kit which went on Lima chassis. Subsequently I mentioned in print that I would like to see a railcar with underfloor drive*. Stewart Hine contacted me and offered to build one. I sent him the Westward model and it came back with a mechanism that Stewart had built, which was under the floor. I still have it.

* Looks like, 35 years on, we're soon to get an underfloor powered railcar from Heljan. (Dapol's 121/122 are 'almost' under-floor powered but the floor is slightly raised.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

1 hour ago, dibber25 said:

I don't recall doing a conversion ......................

Neal, could you be thinking of the Monty Wells conversion featured in Model Railway Journal issues 5 & 6? 

Edited by Wellyboots
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, dibber25 said:

I don't recall doing a conversion (that doesn't mean I didn't do one - just that the memory isn't that great these days). I certainly built the Westward two-car kit which went on Lima chassis. Subsequently I mentioned in print that I would like to see a railcar with underfloor drive*. Stewart Hine contacted me and offered to build one. I sent him the Westward model and it came back with a mechanism that Stewart had built, which was under the floor. I still have it.

* Looks like, 35 years on, we're soon to get an underfloor powered railcar from Heljan. (Dapol's 121/122 are 'almost' under-floor powered but the floor is slightly raised.

My mistake then Chris, my memory is clearly playing up!