Little Muddle

KNP

Now I have to say that the new brush applied Humbrol paint applied to the Hall, as suggested by the staff at Marcway, is a very close match to that of the King.

I know the Hall has had a Roof Dirt wash applied to all surfaces to dirtify!! whereas the King is the original Hornby colour but I think they look almost the same.

2632.jpg.e1b0946fd9ba879833b40fcf2c807d85.jpg

This does highlight that I need to work on the King a bit more like new cab handrail, fit the brass plates I have.

As this layout is now based around 1938 not sure if the writing needs changing on the side of the Kings tender?

Edited by KNP
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, richbrummitt said:

The lettering and crest on the kings tender are, I believe, an anachronism. Either a roundel or great (garter) western would be what I'd expect. 

The garter went with the 1927 livery change and was substituted by the crest, the next change (can't remember the date, but I thinkit was early mid 30's) was the roundel.  Either could be applicable, depending on the build or rebuild at around 7 year intervals.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, KNP said:

The GWR roundel came in 1934 with the coat of arms being phased out.

I expect to be correct I should remove the wording/garter and replace with just a roundel.

If the tender had,had an overhaul in '33 it would have remained in that condition for at least 7 years and possibly more due to the war. Locos were paired with an available tender of the correct type, not by it's paint scheme. So the king is perfectly acceptable as is and does give a little variation.

Edited by Siberian Snooper
something wierd happened, whilst posting
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, KNP said:

Though I do have a more fundamental problem with King Stephen!

It was renamed King Edward V111 in May 1936 and my layout is set in 1938?

Oh dear.

Rule 1 applies - I think you will find the King abdicated late in 1938 according to all sources at Little Muddle :-)

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Rule 1 applies - I think you will find the King abdicated late in 1938 according to all sources at Little Muddle :-)

Rule 1 can certainly apply for the moment!!!!!

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, KNP said:

This picture seemed to suit monochrome better

2640.jpg.a3dfbb2601e5541e7f38cfd162c5cc84.jpg

Original for the record

2639.jpg.1f0d3ddd2c1301b9d1485cbab4ec67d4.jpg

Yes, the second pic looks like it's from a Preserved Line to me Kevin, apart from the empty Platform of course.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎07‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 16:59, KNP said:

This picture seemed to suit monochrome better

Original for the record

2639.jpg.1f0d3ddd2c1301b9d1485cbab4ec67d4.jpg

When did yellow lines (as in keep behind the) start appearing on platform edges? Presumably it's just an effect of the light.

2 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

When did yellow lines (as in keep behind the) start appearing on platform edges? Presumably it's just an effect of the light.

No....that’s the side of the coach!!!!
I do believe it’s a shadow from the canopy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yellow lines on platform edges are relatively recent, 1980s I think but happy to be corrected.  Yellow lines set back from the edge to stand behind while fast traffic is passing through appeared about a decade earlier, but IIRC (again happy to be corrected) predated HSTs.  For as long as I can remember platform edges were painted white, and this may have been a relic of wartime blackout practice.

• Agree 1

When I first constructed the platform at Encombe Town I used Scalescenes print out which had a white edge.

I soon realised this was a wartime addition used during the blackout so repainted each slab to remove it...…!

Here is a picture of the station in Dec 2014 when under construction clearly showing the platform edge.

35.JPG.ed8ebbb3c59ca61e81235a995b88188e.JPG

Platform edge now

2121.jpg.c20200562be1dd2b19a1234dee179c5d.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1