Little Muddle

KNP

The works on Kneller Hall are about to enter their final stage.

With a ring on the doorbell a rather sodden postman dropped off some parcels and one of them contained this.

Following on from Saturdays post by Nigel Newling I took up his suggestion and order the item from Scalelink, excellent service from them by the way, as I only ordered it on Sunday.

IMG_0972.jpg.af19561b224c2b66b87ac021d76756b9.jpg

IMG_0973.jpg.d204ee4aceabb0ab0ddca50ef1c86d81.jpg

I must say I have ordered many items from Scalelink but never realised they did this, thanks for this Nigel.

All I have do now is work out the instructions and get it fixed??

The air pump will not be fitted as my records do not indicate 5934 had it fitted in 1938.

I will of course keep you all posted as work progresses.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

29 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Can I query about the air pump not being fitted. It was a standard fitting on GWR locos with vacuum brakes.

I have reread by Hall book and looks like I had read it wrong.

So I will fit.

Thanks

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 05/12/2019 at 19:41, KNP said:

Another very old model that I got off the bay..

A Lima Express Dairies milk tank wagon that normally hides under cover in the Creamery yard.

2629.jpg.c1ddaea0f13af8221f449e5ac9a3dd39.jpg

A lot of weathering went into this using washes, dry brushing and powders.

One thing though, never quite worked out how the brakes on this worked - lateral movement I believe!!!

I presume you have re-wheeled this too? I can't see any pizzas waiting to be cut.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Northroader said:

Can I query about the air pump not being fitted. It was a standard fitting on GWR locos with vacuum brakes.

5 hours ago, KNP said:

I have reread by Hall book and looks like I had read it wrong.

So I will fit.

Thanks

It's actually a vacuum pump not an air pump of course.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, KNP said:

The works on Kneller Hall are about to enter their final stage.

With a ring on the doorbell a rather sodden postman dropped off some parcels and one of them contained this.

Following on from Saturdays post by Nigel Newling I took up his suggestion and order the item from Scalelink, excellent service from them by the way, as I only ordered it on Sunday.

IMG_0972.jpg.af19561b224c2b66b87ac021d76756b9.jpg

IMG_0973.jpg.d204ee4aceabb0ab0ddca50ef1c86d81.jpg

I must say I have ordered many items from Scalelink but never realised they did this, thanks for this Nigel.

All I have do now is work out the instructions and get it fixed??

The air pump will not be fitted as my records do not indicate 5934 had it fitted in 1938.

I will of course keep you all posted as work progresses.

W&T! I had no idea you could still get them. I must have a browse of the Scalelink catalogue. Originally Wyatt & Tizard of Birmingham.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Agreed, but what it pumps is air.  You can’t pump vacuum, it isn’t there...

Are you sure? It must be there. If it wasn't there someone must have nicked it. It would have been there if it hadn't been nicked. Wouldn't it? A vacuum is an absence of air. And water and earth and fire. And socks and frankfurters and cabbages and kings. Not that a pump would be of any use for those, of course.

Now, where were we?

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Yes, obviously, but I was highlighting the point that, conventionally, an air pump pumps air in while a vacuum pump pumps it out.

• Informative/Useful 3

Anyway, whatever it does I am going to fit it.....

It was nice of you to ‘air’ your views but I wouldn’t want to leave you in a ‘vacuum’ about it’s installation.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 3
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I'd rather hoped that the German for Vacuum Pump might prove to be "Vakuumerzeugungsmaschine" since they have a tendency to both accuracy and long compound nouns such as this one.

Sadly I was disappointed, the translation is the more prosaic "Vakuumpumpe"; even in French it is "Pompe à vide" so I think that it's an argument lost, sir!

• Friendly/supportive 1

OK totally off topic, the French for tyre is pneu, pronounced like gnu. I wrecked a tyre in France, on a Mercedes, and had a real problem finding a replacement. My wife and I spent 2 days driving from one tyre shop to another with me singing (think of Flanders and Swan) " I need a pneu, a pnother pneu". My wife was not amused.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Regardless of all this 'stuff' about the air/vacuum cylinder and foreign lingo lets get back to some basics.

Kneller Hall update.

Seen at Platform 1 at Encombe Town with her new parts still in GWR white metal grey!

Ken took a very quick picture

IMG_0977.jpg.f0967e3a6642070d8c3e77001ab4d244.jpg

I have to say that though this loco will never move on its own all the linkage, rods etc move???

This has again transformed the looks of this loco, turn out to be not so fiddly as I thought but working out what went where was the time consuming bit.

Driver and porter seem impressed!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

“A penother pneu, spelt p-n-e-u”!

There are some who claim not to know of Flanders and Swann: they don’t know the fun they are missing.

Paul.

...and today I am reminded of the honeysuckle and the bindweed.

Edit: of course, that's tomorrow for you, being as it's still yesterday over there.

Edited by St Enodoc
time zones!
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1