Little Muddle

KNP

1 hour ago, Bishop of Welchester said:

A 'conservateur' is a preservative (as well as being what the French call a British political party), whilst a 'préservatif' is something for the weekend, sir.

Yes, I made that mistake, to the amusement of all present.

though you can have fun, if they don’t know that you do know.

For example, it would be very polite, in English, when meeting someone to “introduce oneself”.  In French, it translates as “insert oneself”, which might be a bit forward for a first meeting...

returning to the matter in hand, if I might say sir, your cylinders are magnificent.  Perhaps just a little higher?

atb

Simon

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, KNP said:

Well it certainly looks better in Vallejo black grey.

I did have had a look at moving the cylinders up a couple of mm but this would mean dismantling a couple of support brackets, adjusting the vernier rodding, air pump alignment and reducing the sides of the spacer to clear the main frame.

So I think I might leave for now.....!

KH32.jpg.c265bb09964d44cc6a572719620c4e1b.jpg

Looks great Kevin.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm always slow to express doubts. But felt initially that the cylinders looked overly big,

to my eye. However your mods now make it all leook mighty fine. The cylinders etc were always the

biggest downside to the Hornby (triang?) model. But I was mighty pleased to have one from the

first batch when they came out originally.

Well done Kevin.

TONY

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KNP said:

The more I look at those cylinders, the more I got annoyed with them so yesterday I bit the bullet.

Dismantling part of what I had already done I adjusted the cylinder spacer by filing a groove into, added 1.5mm of plastic spacer under it and fixed back onto the main metal frame.

Then adjusted the running gear and....

KH33.jpg.c9d12d98753a585054c53c89a118e52e.jpg

KH34.jpg.07dfc89e4654ca26061fda52d755e81c.jpg

that's it no more, it is finished once I complete a bit more weathering and tidying up the knocked paintwork.

PS - I have noticed the front main wheel seems to have moved out of alignment - so not quite finished!!

Much better Kevin - worth the hassle.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, might just be the angle of the photo but are the new cylinders inclined outwards enough 

They look more like Castle cylinder positioning to me. You have certainly made a silk purse from a show's  ear with this loco.

Bazza

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry but the cylinders don’t look right to me. They are surely the outside cylinder pattern used by all the 4 cylinder classes, aren’t they?

Here’s a photo of the right hand side of a Hall in good light:image.jpeg.377e30a960d081c61fc0bc5e4cb98e4a.jpeg

No curve inwards under the running plate.

Castle (converted from Star):

image.jpeg.7d71d10915ec16a7cf3c299e2e1a4565.jpeg
Curve in under running plate.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Bazza said:

Hi, might just be the angle of the photo but are the new cylinders inclined outwards enough 

They look more like Castle cylinder positioning to me. You have certainly made a silk purse from a show's  ear with this loco.

Bazza

9 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Sorry but the cylinders don’t look right to me. They are surely the outside cylinder pattern used by all the 4 cylinder classes, aren’t they?

Here’s a photo of the right hand side of a Hall in good light:image.jpeg.377e30a960d081c61fc0bc5e4cb98e4a.jpeg

No curve inwards under the running plate.

Castle (converted from Star):

image.jpeg.7d71d10915ec16a7cf3c299e2e1a4565.jpeg
Curve in under running plate.

8 hours ago, Simond said:

You might be right

something was nagging me about it 

atb

Simon

Well, the kit of parts Kevin showed us was definitely for 2-cylinder locos. Perhaps they just need tweaking so that they taper out a little more.

Edited by St Enodoc
Why didn't the spellchecker tell me that cylinder is spelled with a C not an S?
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Good luck Kevin!

Have you consulted the various loco bibles to see exactly how they should sit? Alternatively perhaps the loco hides behind a bush of two when shown on screen!

All the best, Neal.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Well, the kit of parts Kevin showed us was definitely for 2-cylinder locos. Perhaps they just need tweaking so that they taper out a little more.

Maybe someone taped the wrong castings to the card...

Edited by Harlequin
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1