Little Muddle

KNP

Snowflake progressing

Bridge structure fitted - yes that is the bridge!!

No roof as yet as I need to finish inside.

I have no idea why I didn't paint the cabin roof yesterday but it is done now

IMG_0998.jpg.07e7b56a6a416142d78275a38d3f411e.jpg

These are all the white metal parts and I have no idea where some of them go as the instructions are a bit basic.

So I will search the web and find RC models which I can crib from?

IMG_0996.jpg.00f2d2844a2e7df42bc3cb02645f29ca.jpg

The kit comes with two cargo hatches one closed and one partially open so the hold could be modelled.

I like the idea of doing the hold open but then the ship will need to be moored alongside with the tender in the water.

This would then mean I could swop with misty every now and then so I think it will be the closed hatch with the tender upside down on the top.

IMG_0997.jpg.114a4ef11706513c8f41b27c0752cd06.jpg

Decisions, decisions. decisions

Edited by KNP
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

You might find John Biffen’s notes on detailing the scalescenes Clyde Puffer useful for the rigging, and his illustration for the puffer show the tender on the half of the hatch which is not open.

Happy Christmas to all at and around Little Muddle, and spare a thought for the scarecrow, alone and sleeping out over Christmas

puffer_modifications.pdf

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, KNP said:

To one and all

Many thanks for following this thread for another year.

2641.gif.8892a2e5def1703c9a2e41eb52e1f178.gif

Merry christmas Kevin. The appropriately named Snowflake is looking good. There's something special about the combination of  the nautical and railway environments.

Edited by Mikkel
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps it’s a Russian crate with each one getting smaller and smaller as you progress.

With the final one being..........

@“£9;....). (;1//€¥%......

sorry internets gone down so now we will never know

• Funny 5

5 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Merry christmas Kevin. The appropriately named Snowflake is looking good. There's something special about the combination of  the nautical and railway environments.

Thanks

One of the best thing I did was turn the originally planned gasometer and yard into the harbour.

Another one of those moments where the layout evolved.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 4

This page marks the end of my first acquaintance with Little Muddle. I've read the whole thread and I can't recall a layout which has made such a strong impression on me since Buckingham, the Craig & Mertonford, and a couple of articles by John Ahern in Model Railway Constructor when I was a bit younger. I've learned such a lot. Possibly the most important lesson for me is to create the basic scenery as quickly as possible and then fill in details bit by bit rather than feeling under pressure to build the entire thing all in one go. Thanks Kevin.

For more information about Clyde Puffers in the Bristol Channel there is this post which hasn't been mentioned here. We had our motor boat in those muddy waters during 2017/18 - I'm just astonished that the Puffers were able to cope with the tidal streams.

I have a small collection of scanned colour slides taken in East Anglia in the summer of 1939 - would they be of any help? PM me if so.

Michael

Edited by Michael Crofts
remembered Ahern
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Michael Crofts said:

This page marks the end of my first acquaintance with Little Muddle. I've read the whole thread and I can't recall a layout which has made such a strong impression on me since Buckingham, the Craig & Mertonford, and a couple of articles by John Ahern in Model Railway Constructor when I was a bit younger. I've learned such a lot. Possibly the most important lesson for me is to create the basic scenery as quickly as possible and then fill in details bit by bit rather than feeling under pressure to build the entire thing all in one go. Thanks Kevin.

Many thanks for those kind words.

Edited by KNP

It is nice that the scarecrow has been asked after and I can ensure you he is fine and well.

For this year I have had him stuffed with the finest waterproof straw I could find and he now has a replacement cashmere coat with matching hat.

So he is looking smart and happy.

The supporting pole has been checked for rot and worm with the structural report confirming that he will remain supported for another year.

He passes on his best to a Mr Limpley Stoker and thanks for the concern about his wellbeing.

I asked Ken to pop out and see him this very morning for an update.

Though the snow is crisp and even he raised a smile and tried to wave....but couldn't because of the supporting arm pole!

2642.jpg.fbd35fa5a0a17933769bc8d48f4c39e6.jpg

However, 10mins later he wasn't smiling so much....

1927395015_imageedit_1_9776807860(1).gif.663700dcad0c644d469f49caa32e289d.gif

Edited by KNP
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

I’m sending him a hands-free phone for Christmas so he doesn’t feel lonely. Mind you the Colonel is a bit anxious about those  non biodegradable straws polluting his stream and scaring the trout.

• Funny 3

17 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

I’m sending him a hands-free phone for Christmas so he doesn’t feel lonely. Mind you the Colonel is a bit anxious about those  non biodegradable straws polluting his stream and scaring the trout.

Just out of mild curiosity how is he going to use it?

With the pole through the sleeves of his jacket and his outstretched arms with have the makings of a comedy sketch...…!

• Funny 2