Little Muddle

KNP

Lorry and detailing works are now finished and in place on the layout.

Tomorrow morning the new cameo will be revealed under the title of:

’Waiting for Pete’

So please book a front seat for the next chapter in the saga of Little Muddle.

Tickets are free so please arrive early to gain a good seat in front of your monitor.

All are welcome.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

By early - are we talking GMT or CET? and can you be precise about the hour please @KNP we wouldnt want to miss it.

I'm guessing; Colonel Mustard with a lorry and .... or is that lockdown fever taking hold lol

looking forward to the reveal at 0x:00 hours....tbc

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Just one small flaw in that great scene, and story.

Why would the GWR have an LMS van body, when presumably they had plenty of their own redundant stock.

I always understood the pre-mationalisation companies were particularly adept at avoiding unnecessary expense.

Mind you it doesn't really detract from whats been achieved, indeed I doubt I'd have picked up on it, had it not been in the write up.

All the best

TONY

Edited by Mulgabill
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Mulgabill said:

Just one small flaw in that great scene, and story.

Why would the GWR have an LMS van body, when presumably they had plenty of their own redundant stock.

I always understood the pre-mationalisation companies were particularly adept at avoiding unnecessary expense.

Mind you it doesn't really detract from whats been achieved, indeed I doubt I'd have picked up on it, had it not been in the write up.

All the best

TONY

It's called procurement Tony, they probably just FORGOT to send it back after a deliver.:)

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

The story of the grounded van is two fold....

One fold is that it was acquired by the GWR after it arrived with a delivery and the chassis/axle broke. So rather than remove it the defunct chassis was disposed of, the platform built out of old sleepers and the van body stood on it to form an additional lock up. This meant the LMS didn’t have to pay to have it fixed and the GWR didn’t have to ship in an old body. Win win for both companies

Two fold, many years ago it was a working van until I knocked on the floor, turned around to pick up but ended up treading on it which broke off both axles boxes on one side. For many a year it languished in a ‘I don’t what to do with this’ box until I saw a picture of Shipton - on - Stour station and their grounded vans.

An idea was born and the rest, as they say, is history.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

27 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

I have a worrying premonition that Pete and that key may never arrive.....:unsure:

I did wonder if he was stuck in the crate at the creamery !!

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

10 hours ago, KNP said:

Waiting for Pete

What's that all about I hear you ask

Well....good question.

So, pull up a chair and let me tell you a story!

One sunny morning a GWR delivery lorry arrived in the Little Muddle goods yard to pick up some packages.

These had arrived yesterday and had been securely locked away overnight in the old LMS grounded van next to the goods shed.

Upon arrival Des, the driver drove into the yard and was pointed in the direction of the old grounded van where he reversed the lorry and parked by the loading bay.

George, his assistant, went off to find the key.

He was told to speak to Pete as he had the only key!!

but Pete was nowhere to be seen and after tracking down the Yard Manager, George was told Pete would be back in a while.

Des and George readied a space in the back of the lorry and sat down to wait for the key to arrive.

After waiting what felt like an eternity and still no sign of this key, Des decided to sit in the sun and read his paper.

George meanwhile felt he ought to check the covered area load was safe, so he had a quick peek behind the canvas cover.

This is the point we arrive on the scene.

Des reading his paper,

George checking the covered area

and...... 

still no sign of this elusive Pete with the key

So they wait

2790.jpg.a10f71dc2d126ceff7005f21699ba3b3.jpg

2791.jpg.b576e7b6deffcff3c5ca913793db258b.jpg

2792.jpg.f43b9f7a14efd355fa81c857fafa0beb.jpg

2793.jpg.ca12e970e8345be47caa5ff1ac3b9142.jpg

Did Des and George tell you this, or have you made it up?

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Lovely scene Kevin @KNP, as well as the story, I like how you have set everything up on the van. 

The detail on that newspaper..... presumably you painted that by hand... (rather than a transfer).

Very well executed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

Lovely scene Kevin @KNP, as well as the story, I like how you have set everything up on the van. 

The detail on that newspaper..... presumably you painted that by hand... (rather than a transfer).

Very well executed.

Thanks.

The newspaper is a home made transfer, 4 of them to be exact one for each page, of the Daily Mail in 1936.

I tried to find one for 1938 but they where all about the build up to war and I felt that was to gloomy especially in these times, so I went for an earlier one plus at this scale can't you can read the date.

Easy to make but fiddly to get in place as I had to cut them around the legs.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

And for those of you who need a newspaper from this era.

The size I used was 7mm x 4mm (approx) so though they are to size for my set up you might have play with the % size when printing.

Print on water slide decal sheets for inkjet printers

Three coats of Dullcote to seal otherwise the ink will come off in the water

Cut to size

Soak for a couple of minutes in water and place on model

I use Decalfix to secure and 'shrink' into all the cracks and folds.

Must leave to dry for at least 24hrs and seal with matt varnish to protect

Newpaper.jpg.7361be754c446d6a1d04040cdfff1436.jpg

Have fun

Edited by KNP
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7