Little Muddle

KNP

5 hours ago, KNP said:

Aye, aye what's going on here then.

Been a while since one of these has been used on a passenger service.

Must be issues with the normal loco.

2886.jpg.1757d841da2899d2fa892c81d0df733e.jpg

Seeing the empty Dairy siding, brings a question to my mind - 

Would Siphon G's (or similar) still be used for deliveries of milk churns in this time frame?

Rgds

Steve J

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, SteveTheSteam said:

Seeing the empty Dairy siding, brings a question to my mind - 

Would Siphon G's (or similar) still be used for deliveries of milk churns in this time frame?

Rgds

Steve J

Syphon G's used for churns until early 60s.

They were used for smaller flows sometimes cross country as against the main flows by tanker into the London Area.

Cheers

Paul

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
On 28/05/2020 at 09:16, KNP said:

Looks great

Really must sit down and work out how to add smoke.

In the past I have used brush/air brush to a limited extent.

One more thing to add to my list of things to do, least I have finished creosoting the fencing (actual not model....!!!)

I think this is photoshopping of a very high order, and with my famous now very worn pedant hat on it's not smoke, which is black, brown, or grey, but condensed water vapour from steam, which is as everyone knows invisible until it cools and condenses; the gap left between the cloud and the chimney rim is correct.

The condensed steam cloud has formed water droplets which will fall harmlessly to the ground, and not pollute anything; the loco will make up for this when she's being actively fired!  The original photo probably showed an approaching train from a rh front ¾ perspective.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 29/05/2020 at 16:11, Tallpaul69 said:

Syphon G's used for churns until early 60s.

They were used for smaller flows sometimes cross country as against the main flows by tanker into the London Area.

Agreed, RC Riley's article "Home on the milk" in 1959 notes that churn traffic was still going into London from some WR creameries although the amount was in decline. The last reference to churn traffic I have found so far is 1961. The final cut-off date would probably have been the implementation of the "Western Agreement" between BRB and MMB in December 1963. This concentrated milk traffic into London on the  GWML and SWML routes and I would hypthesise that they decided to just run tanker trains from that point onwards as well. Siphons disappear from milk trains after this point.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

All milk traffic was in glass lined tanks by the 70s; I don't recall any of the road trailer flats or 4 wheelers, but there were one or two of the twin tank versions still in service.  That said, I was most familiar with the Whitland, very rarely saw the West of England train, and never the Southern's.  You would still see Siphons on the up train, but as parcels vehicles not churn carriers.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, KNP said:

Been working on covered wagons today.

Building some but also titivating some old Dapol ones....

P1140294.JPG.aa35c4be07066ca86f2fa0a065e44192.JPG

Waiting for some Fox transfers to arrive.

Blimey you must have ordered a lot if you’ve three wagons waiting for them. 

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

I think you should use that picture as your desktop background! :wink_mini:

what a good idea.

Wish I had thought of that.....:rolleyes:

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 30/05/2020 at 16:29, Karhedron said:

Agreed, RC Riley's article "Home on the milk" in 1959 notes that churn traffic was still going into London from some WR creameries although the amount was in decline. The last reference to churn traffic I have found so far is 1961. The final cut-off date would probably have been the implementation of the "Western Agreement" between BRB and MMB in December 1963. This concentrated milk traffic into London on the  GWML and SWML routes and I would hypthesise that they decided to just run tanker trains from that point onwards as well. Siphons disappear from milk trains after this point.

KNP, do you have a Siphon in your growing (and excellently weathered) collection of rolling stock?

Regarding the crate on the lorry, could it contain milk churns, and the collective wisdom of the assembled crowd be debating whether it's worth unloading?

• Like 4