Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, SteveTheSteam said:

Regarding the crate on the lorry, could it contain milk churns, and the collective wisdom of the assembled crowd be debating whether it's worth unloading?

Or, if they were full, whether they dare now!

Paul.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, SteveTheSteam said:

KNP, do you have a Siphon in your growing (and excellently weathered) collection of rolling stock?

Regarding the crate on the lorry, could it contain milk churns, and the collective wisdom of the assembled crowd be debating whether it's worth unloading?

No Siphon (at present)….

• Informative/Useful 1

Latest two wagons off the production line.

The old Cooper Craft cattle wagon and a Ratio Iron Mink

Big debate in LM workshops ……!

Would the cattle wagon, late 30's ish, still have a number and GW on the ends?

My reckoning not and I need to remove it....

Any comments?

P1140295.JPG.692a13e15ad826b407e4d9225e14eb2f.JPG

P1140296.JPG.d924c262b6460522218d4b2a81cf3b9c.JPG

Feels like wagons works at the moment, didn't realise how small the iron mink was...(even checked the dimensions and had a look at some pictures to double check - just in case I had brought N gauge)

Still have a Ratio Ventilated wagon to go.

Then I do believe some more might be on the way for Father's Day - dropped enough hints!!!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 15

1 hour ago, KNP said:

Hi Kevin,

There is a photograph on page 132 of Jim Russells GWR Appendix showing two Mex in the cattle dock at Torquay in 1932 exhibiting the end lettering so I think I would be tempted to keep it on.

Hope this helps ?

G

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

7 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

I've got a photo of a proper engine on mine...

20200601_135720_copy_1600x1200.jpg

I like it.

Interesting.

0-6-0 steam loco.

Archaic tender.

Stylish but near useless cab.

Paint it Great Western green and it would tick all my boxes for a proper engine!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

5 hours ago, KNP said:

Any comments?

Lettering on the ends of GWR wagons was discontinued after 1928, but my understanding is that GWR wagons could go up to 8 years without repainting.  So the last numbers on the ends might not have disappeared until about 1936, although they would have become very rare by that date, and the wagons on the ends of which any remaining numbers might be seen would be pretty shabby, with faded lettering by that time.

Just to be pedantic, the  Goods Fruit Van (Diagram V30) shown in one of the recent photos should not have the 16-inch "G W" on the sides, as by the time these Fruit Vans were converted from cattle wagons, fairly late in the 1930s, the small 4-inch "GW" lettering at the bottom left-hand corner on each side would have been applied instead.

So the carriage and wagon works serving Little Muddle may not need to worry too much about the numbering on the ends of the Mex, but the lettering on the Goods Fruit van does need to be changed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 28/05/2020 at 22:51, snailpace said:

Any idea where you can get creosote from? I’ve been soldiering on with this crappy water based stuff for ages and it doesn’t do the job......:D

Please forgive the intrusion of the modern world to Little Muddle but I am an evangelist for creosote.

The genuine article is 100% coal tar creosote. In the days of little Muddle it was a by-product of the gasworks, one of the left-overs from producing town gas and coke by heating coal. Much harder to source now but not impossible (here for example) and it's not illegal to use. I was using it only last week.

It is available only in pack sizes of 20 litres or more and must not be used where it will be handled frequently or where children might have access.

Several attempts have been made to ban it but so far BT, the electrical utilities, and a few other large-scale users have been able to withstand the pressure.

By definition any timber preservative must be nasty. If it isn't nasty it won't work. Tanalised timber used to be the CCA process - Copper, Chrome, Arsenic. First they took the arsenic out, then the chrome, then the copper. Now all that's left is water and dye and wishful thinking.

I do like my weekly visit to Little Muddle where the railway fence posts and telegraph poles are creosoted!

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

You have another fan of proper creosote right here. I have for years been slightly confused also the idea that unleaded petrol is somehow safer and cleaner than traditional four star. Tetraethyl lead has been demonised, why? Because Joe dimwit KNOWS lead is bad. We've then removed the nasties from paint and aerosols etc. But it's fine to dump benzene butane toluene xylene et al into petroleum to up the octane (but not enough) and call it a green fuel. I have worked with benzene in particular and it's nasty stuff.

So I really don't see the big issue with creosote. Give it 20 years or so and "they" will probably be telling you that smoking is good for you. If it suits their purposes and makes them rich of course!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Crichel Down said:

Thanks

The lettering on the side of the fruit van is original by Dapol, so I left it.

It's a minefield all this lettering business.

I think I will remove all lettering from the ends of the cattle wagon, then I can keep the GW letters for another project!!!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning Kevin @KNP sunny greetings from the Costa Blanca.

Re: your comments about end GW on cattle trucks. I’ve looked through the “GWR goods bible” from Atkins, Beard, Tourret. (2013 edition)
I can see mention of changes in the 1920’s about 16 inch and 25 inch lettering.... then on Pg 423 there is a 1937 photo of a wagon overhauled at Swindon... it shows very small lettering.

I suspect therefore the changes happened at some point late 1920’s.....

At Henley, I have 2 x Coopercraft wagons with end GW displayed.

I wonder how often Cattle wagons would get new liveries, not that often I suspect. Maybe @Miss Prism might be able to throw a definitive answer for us.

Regards, Neal

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I had presumed that the main building was scratchbuilt using a few proprietary components, so a job well done!

No, the whole building is Skaledale, just repainted to look different.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, KNP said:

Latest two wagons off the production line.

The old Cooper Craft cattle wagon and a Ratio Iron Mink

Any comments?

P1140295.JPG.692a13e15ad826b407e4d9225e14eb2f.JPG

P1140296.JPG.d924c262b6460522218d4b2a81cf3b9c.JPG

Feels like wagons works at the moment, didn't realise how small the iron mink was...(even checked the dimensions and had a look at some pictures to double check - just in case I had brought N gauge)

Still have a Ratio Ventilated wagon to go.

Then I do believe some more might be on the way for Father's Day - dropped enough hints!!!

Who cares?

I know I don't.

• Like 4
  • Funny 4

5 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

I wonder how often Cattle wagons would get new liveries, not that often I suspect.

My feeling is that they would be treated no differently from other general service vehicles, so I defer to Crichel Down's suggested repainting window above.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

My feeling is that they would be treated no differently from other general service vehicles, so I defer to Crichel Down's suggested repainting window above.

Thanks for this. It looks as if I need to remove my end branding as well.... or fade it down considerably for 1936. I only have 2 wagons with the GW on the ends, the rest being plain.

• Friendly/supportive 2