Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Premium

I don't know about all these modern digital gubbins, I trained on 5"x4" / 10"x8" plate cameras. 

I decided after 3 days of photographing a (rather beautiful) desk, that working in commercial studio photography was not for me.

• Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, Tim Dubya said:

I don't know about all these modern digital gubbins, I trained on 5"x4" / 10"x8" plate cameras. 

I decided after 3 days of photographing a (rather beautiful) desk, that working in commercial studio photography was not for me.

In the dim and distant past, I had (briefly) a girl-friend who's parents had a Photo-finishing business .... processing hundreds of roll-films every day. 

I have never seen a more boring job!  Quite put me off trying photo processing at home, although taking, processing and examining X-Ray and Gamma-ray Film became a neccessity at work. (not Medical I emphasise)

Edited by DonB
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

Dammit, you've inspired me to finish building the Cambrian models GWR crane and match truck that is cluttering up the bodging bench!

One of the first kits I built upon returning (is that a Wire song?) to the hobby 15 odd years ago.  A nice easy build I seem to remember.

Enjoy

• Friendly/supportive 2

It's also one of the first that I have built since my recent return. I cheated and sorted out the jib first. The rest is easy once you get your head round the instructions. If you're reading this Mr. Cambrian, I will happily draw you easy to follow 1970s Airfix style exploded drawings for your kits.

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Are the hatches for ice or were they vents? If ice did they have ice docks to load them. 

(Professional note, back in the early 1970's I worked for 3 years in the accounting office for Pacific Fruit Express (owned by SP and UP) which had 40,000 ice cars-30-50 ton load capacity- at one time.  Reefer blocks of up to 100 ice cars at a time going east from California to mid-west an east coast markets with fresh vegetables fruit and other produce. I did some of the accounting calculations of residual values of the remaining ice cars as we ended ice service and wrote them off.)

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, autocoach said:

I did some of the accounting calculations of residual values of the remaining ice cars as we ended ice service and wrote them off.

Were they frozen assets?

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 8

Thank you Kevin, for my daily fix of peace, tranquillity, and all that was once right with the world, that we don't recognise today.

A time gone by, when you could hear Birds singing in the morning, the sometimes distant sound of a By Plane, or even a neighbour pushing his Lawnmower. 

Keep the pics of our History coming please.:good:

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Thank you Kevin, for my daily fix of peace, tranquillity, and all that was once right with the world, that we don't recognise today.

A time gone by, when you could hear Birds singing in the morning, the sometimes distant sound of a By Plane, or even a neighbour pushing his Lawnmower. 

Keep the pics of our History coming please.:good:

And then a certain Mr. A.... P....... moved into the neighbourhood with his sound fitted trains and guitars :jester:

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I'll have a pint of whatever he's drinking please.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Isn't this because he has moved down south to Pompey now from the peace of Middle England?

Not sure a Pannier with those wagons would have been that quiet either but the picture does make me wonder just what the world is like further down the main line.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Mick Bonwick said:

WITH AMPLIFIER.

"Who won the F1 Drivers' Championship in 1975?"

"Lauda."

"WHO WON THE F1 DRIVERS' CHAMPIONSHIP IN 1975?"

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

"Who won the F1 Drivers' Championship in 1975?"

"Lauda."

"WHO WON THE F1 DRIVERS' CHAMPIONSHIP IN 1975?"

The old ones are the best!

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Can anyone tell me if the front of the tanks on all panniers that have their tanks level with the smokebox door were painted black?

I believe so.  But "all" is a big word.

Indeed, we take the papa-one-five-five out of one of our pals on a weekly basis on just this subject...

There are a lot of bits that might, or might not be black on an otherwise green loco.  Firebox tops on Belpaire boilers, all horizontal surfaces on locos and tenders (but perhaps not the tops of panniers...) and the slopy bits on Prairie tanks.

atb

Simon

• Informative/Useful 5