Little Muddle

KNP

1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Have you tried using Google Chrome for t'internet?

Unfortunately, because Microsoft appears to have taken their ball home regarding ongoing support and updates for their operating systems on mobile phones, there is no way of downloading chrome for phones. You can't even access the Google app store. The only option is after extensive research, to buy either an Android or I phone.

I'm not getting conned into a phone and provider deal. After a couple of months you are compelled to add extras to make the package actually work which soon doubles your monthly payments making it much less of a bargain. Not to mention that the phone probably won't last for the two years you are locked into.

• Friendly/supportive 3

Just now, MrWolf said:

I will miss seeing what you are all up to on here.

Probably the only thing that will coerce me to get a new phone!

We have an independent phone repair shop in our town, and they sell 

s/hand phones. I haven't bought a new one in years.

The only reason I use them so much, is because I've been unlucky and

cracked a few screens, normally dropping them at work.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tim Dubya said:

I always buy my Android (never apple, or you'll just end up where you are now) phones and just whack in a payg sim.  The current phone is dual sim, so I can change them to suit the situation.  The 3 sim does the interweb @ 1p per 1mb of data (I don't use much data when I'm out) and I have my original O2 for making crank calls to strangers in the middle of the night.

Why not Apple? What is so different? I buy iPhones on ebay or via Amazon, sim-free, and insert my (French) contract sim. My last phone met with a bit of an accident the other week, so I ordered a replacement. On arrival, automatic data transfer from one to the other was offered and accepted, simcard transferred, job done. And if I take a snap on the phone, within minutes it is available on my iPad, MacBooks and iMacs. I have every confidence Android or MS offer such facilities, but the Apple thing suits me.  

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

20 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Unfortunately, because Microsoft appears to have taken their ball home regarding ongoing support and updates for their operating systems on mobile phones, there is no way of downloading chrome for phones. You can't even access the Google app store. The only option is after extensive research, to buy either an Android or I phone.

I'm not getting conned into a phone and provider deal. After a couple of months you are compelled to add extras to make the package actually work which soon doubles your monthly payments making it much less of a bargain. Not to mention that the phone probably won't last for the two years you are locked into.

:offtopic:I miss my Windows phone(s). Deeper bluetooth integration when driving is what I miss most: It would read my text messages without having to have a 3rd party (android auto or apple car play) addition to the vehicle. Goople are probably just after licensing money I presume. I'm using a Sansumg thing now but don't really get on with it. I'm tempted to try an iphone to see if it suits me better but I remain unconvinced that it will. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, KNP said:

I had to remove a tree to get this picture!

It is happy replanted now.....

Elsewhere on RMweb you would be told in glowing detail how you might 'simply' have removed the offending tree through clever software. I'm with you. Life is too short. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Elsewhere on RMweb you would be told in glowing detail how you might 'simply' have removed the offending tree through clever software. I'm with you. Life is too short. 

I think I can see evidence of the telegraph pole having been moved digitally from the chimney to behind the dome :jester:

Edited by richbrummitt
Missed word
  • Funny 7

12 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Two thoughts:

1. You need a 28xx. (Everyone needs a 28xx!)

2. How about some foreign vans in your freight train?

Two replies...

1. Very nice but what would I do with all those wheels??

2. I have, most of my stock is Chinese?

• Like 1
  • Funny 17

4 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Two thoughts:

1. You need a 28xx. (Everyone needs a 28xx!)

2. How about some foreign vans in your freight train?

4 hours ago, KNP said:

Two replies...

1. Very nice but what would I do with all those wheels??

2. I have, most of my stock is Chinese?

On the late John Flann's Hintock, he used a mix of LMS, and SR in with his  GWR for variety and colour etc.

• Like 6
  • Agree 5

13 hours ago, Andrew P said:

On the late John Flann's Hintock, he used a mix of LMS, and SR in with his  GWR for variety and colour etc.

Good idea Andy

Followed his layout/ideas for years. Missed.

Looks like I need some more wagons, but only a few......

need more storage boxes as well!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 minute ago, KNP said:

Good idea Andy

Followed his layout/ideas for years. Missed.

Looks like I need some more wagons, but only a few......

need more storage boxes as well!

I had some plastic trays from the Garden Centre, A4 size and about 2 and bit inches deep. Lined with Kitchen Roll and also between each Loco, Coach, Wagon, and with a sturdy lid they were ideal for packing and stacking. I paid a Tenner for 4 at the time.

• Informative/Useful 5