Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Premium

To me, this picture, captures the very essence of a quiet country scene that was my aim way back in 2008 when I started this layout

Brilliant that Kevin does exactly that captures that scene of a by gone era,  the track work looks so good and the posts for the signal wires too well actually nothing is out of place, superb.

Cheers 

Ade

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/07/2020 at 17:33, KNP said:

I was going to discard this picture as there was to much work involved to remove the door/frame/light switch but then I thought someone might like it as is....

2991.jpg.9774b767fc118dc5cfe33ede9d59ce18.jpg

I'm more bothered by the droop on the bay starting signal; not unrealistic, but it would have bothered me in real life as well.  Also, the signal engineers need to be called in to have a go at Encombe Town Signal Box's locking frame; the turnout should be incapable of being set for a conflicting movement as long a the road has been cleared in the opposite direction for the pannier and it's train.  A train overrunning the splitting main line starter should be routed by the interlocking along the main and not to the branch.

I also reckon the tunnel entrance could benefit from a backlit banner repeater for the starter in that direction.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I'm more bothered by the droop on the bay starting signal; not unrealistic, but it would have bothered me in real life as well.  Also, the signal engineers need to be called in to have a go at Encombe Town Signal Box's locking frame; the turnout should be incapable of being set for a conflicting movement as long a the road has been cleared in the opposite direction for the pannier and it's train.  A train overrunning the splitting main line starter should be routed by the interlocking along the main and not to the branch.

I also reckon the tunnel entrance could benefit from a backlit banner repeater for the starter in that direction.

Why are you always so negative? @The Johnster - enjoy the scene for what it is - wonderful - a lovely Great Western bucolic branch line going into a country station.

Kevin @KNP take no notice, its a great scene and as you know my thoughts already, its a great railway.

We don't need such negativity at Little Muddle.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I think, or hope, that Kevin appreciates constructive criticism in the spirit in which it is intended, as helpful and with the potential to improve a model which is in terms of scenery, track laying, detail, weathering, lighting, buildings, signals and point rodding/signal wiring, and what I suppose you could call 'personality' far better than anything this artless bodger could ever hope to achieve.  His modelling is nothing less than inspirational, but his intimate knowledge of railway working methods is not complete; as he has never worked on the railway I would not reasonably expect them to be.  Like everybody here, he does the best he can, and increasing his levels of knowledge about how the railway actually works in reality is not me trying to prove I know more than him so yaboo sucks, I will sometimes, with some embarrassment considering his superlative modelling abilities, point such out anomalies so that his already superb layout can be even better.  I have pointed out errors and anomalies before to him and he has expressed gratitude, so I hope he will appreciate these comments.  I am fully aware that he is a much better modeller than me!

I'm sorry you find my views negative; I regard them as positive and constructive advice about matters which jar on my railway-conditioned brain, and the point setting in this shot is something that any railwayman would find them very obvious and off-putting.  We are trained and conditioned to look for things like this at all times, checking tail lamps and that all the doors a shut properly as an almost instinctive matter.  I've been more than 40 years out of the job but I still do it; can't help it!

Little Muddle is about as good as it gets; is trying to make it even better negative?  Correct working is realistic working, and though we must accept compromises (that's not a live steam 57xx to perfect scale, and the track is the wrong gauge, and so on), we can all at least try to get the appearance of correct working as right as we can.  

Maybe your understanding of the concept of 'negativity' is not the same as mine, in which case I hope we can agree to differ in a spirit of mutual respect.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Not everybody wants every single aspect of their model to be 100% accurate right down to the last minute detail. For some it is enough to portray the scene in a way that others can appreciate, seeing the whole picture and enjoying it for what it is.

The result of Kevin's modelling shown in this thread keeps me going on my own model in the hope that one day I'll be able to create the same sort of scenes. Probably not to the same level of exquisite detail!

Some of us know that what we have built is not absolutely accurate, but it is good enough to serve our purpose.

It's a hobby. Nobody's life is at stake if a train doesn't do what it should do in real life. We operate steam locomotives using electricity, after all!

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I don’t presume to answer for anyone but myself, but if I make a mistake, and nobody tells me, I won’t know, will I?

and if I don’t know, I can’t avoid making the same mistake again.

there’s always ways of telling someone (Captain Mainwaring’s “Stupid boy, Pike!” is perhaps a benchmark to be avoided) but it seems to me that constructive comment and criticism given generously is something we can all learn from.  The option of “well, he’s done that wrong but I won’t say or I’ll get moaned at” seems to me to be a loss to us all.

just my 2 cents

atb

Simon

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

Yes, I think Johnster has got it right.  When I saw the photo of that incorrectly set turnout, it jarred, and spoiled what I would call an excellent view. The drooping arm, well I haven’t yet met anyone who hasn’t taken pictures of model railways wheresomething is not right.  I am the worlds worst.  If I get all the point settings right, I often find a telegraph pole growing out of the loco chimney. Good model photography is an art in itself.

However, I have to hand it to Kevin for creating a beautiful model of a railway, even if it is GWR.   .........................only joking

Derek

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Gentlemen

Many thanks for your comments and suggestions.

I have no problem at all with them even if they are either negative or positive.

Lets face it, when I first posted the layout on here I had the wrong lettering on locos, no crew or lamps!

I had the wrong era rolling stock trundling around, very few people and the wrong aged tractor in the farm!

My interest was mainly scenery which just happened to have a railway running through it, but that approach has slowly changed with all your help and comments.

I now have more books on loco's and rolling stock than I ever had culminating in the largest book I have ever owned and that is GWR Goods Wagons - boy that's a book and half but full of great information and details.

With regard to the last picture, yes the point was in the wrong direction and along with the editing issues was the reason why I was going to scrap it.

Very often when taking pictures you don't actually see what is there and it is only when you edit it on a large screen that you spot the issues....

I will keep posting and you keep the comments coming...

The only thing I can't help you with is...

what is in that crate?

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

9 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

And the Squadron Leader's aircraft has the wrong insignia for his sqadron.

Looks like I need to build him an aeroplane now and by the way having searched around I found the missing 'u' under the computer desk...:jester:

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Not everybody wants every single aspect of their model to be 100% accurate right down to the last minute detail. For some it is enough to portray the scene in a way that others can appreciate, seeing the whole picture and enjoying it for what it is.

The result of Kevin's modelling shown in this thread keeps me going on my own model in the hope that one day I'll be able to create the same sort of scenes. Probably not to the same level of exquisite detail!

Some of us know that what we have built is not absolutely accurate, but it is good enough to serve our purpose.

It's a hobby. Nobody's life is at stake if a train doesn't do what it should do in real life. We operate steam locomotives using electricity, after all!

Well said Mick. 

We all do this for fun and to provide interest, relaxation and sometimes diversion outside of our day to day living. 

There is a way of gently offering  advice but some feel the need to demonstrate their expertise at every opportunity. 

Before posting perhaps consider the effect of those words as that may differ greatly from the intial intention.. 

Those familiar with my efforts know that I model with a very broad brush. Certain prototype matters bother me, others don't. I makd no claim of fidelity..People should just pause before applying their standards to others work. Just because you're bothered by something, it doesn't mean we would be as well. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

That's a real-life photo, Kevin. Rough shunts happened on the big railway, sometimes with (very) impressive results. 

"What's that funny noise?"

"We're off the  !%^&*@>!! road, son, that's why!" And yes, it happened to me.....  Signals can, and did, fail to return to danger, for any variety of reasons. Breakages, obstructions. that sort of thing. An operating wire breaking on the wrong side of detection can & will leave a  signal at 'half mast'. 

The thing to remember is that any photo is a snapshot in time, be it posed or otherwise.  A classic example would be to take a Lord Litchfield - standard posed photograph.  As readers, we can only observe, and as such, it is wise to remember to couch words & responses in that fashion. 

Cheers,

Ian.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/07/2020 at 07:18, KNP said:

Quiet day down at the boot and shoe factory

2974.jpg.5e926a708a09e6840179506613e40bdf.jpg

**** Modelling Alert ****

Have you documented the build of this, Kevin? It's really rather good! Did it originate as Scalescenes textures?

**** End of modelling alert ****

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

It's also tarnished the mental image of what I expect to see in conjunction with thigh high leather boots!

Even if they did come from Kevin's factory!

Edited by jcm@gwr
further explanation
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1