Little Muddle

KNP

I know who did it......

My Grandson when he was with me just prior to the lockdown managed to derail one of the Panniers (neither has owned up to it when questioned at the time!!!) and kept it rolling until it hit the shed and took the door off.

Found out the other day when they came around and we all sat in the garden for high tea....!

So the red cow is of the hook - for now.

Edited by KNP
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold

"And you'll be needing the crane from Warren Branch to shift that door."

"Will that help us get the crate off the lorry?"

"One job at a time, son, one job at a time."

Edited by Stubby47
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7

Prototype question re the engine shed: what is the little 'roof' above the centre of the doors for? I assume to provide a bit of extra height to allow chimneys etc. to pass through (you see a similar thing on the doors to some aircraft hangars). But why did they not just build the door a little taller?

Edited by ed1234
Goods shed, what goods shed?
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Slightly out of sequence but then this how i take them as an idea pops into my head.

Two today prior to the 'turn off'

3006.jpg.ed5c73e2eebff9967c603f55712e9e9d.jpg

3007.jpg.aeef5282c676d2b30055ae084286f65b.jpg

PS - I think the chip module is pushing the boiler face out...!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, ed1234 said:

Prototype question re the good shed: what is the little 'roof' above the centre of the doors for? I assume to provide a bit of extra height to allow chimneys etc. to pass through (you see a similar thing on the doors to some aircraft hangars). But why did they not just build the door a little taller?

I suspect you might mean the engine shed rather than the goods shed.

Not all sheds had the little addition on the front, but where they were provided, it was an outer extension of the cowl that ran the length of the shed to take smoke out of the building.

The overall roof at Henley on Thames also had the cowls and although provided they were not that effective at the outer ends; (I guess the exception being a windy day); drivers would try and stop with their chimney under the roof vent so the smoke went straight out. Rather than rely on the cowl.

I suspect in the engine shed, they wouldn't be that fussy and a combination of not always practical.

Edited by Neal Ball
typo
  • Informative/Useful 4

5 hours ago, ed1234 said:

Prototype question re the good shed: what is the little 'roof' above the centre of the doors for? I assume to provide a bit of extra height to allow chimneys etc. to pass through (you see a similar thing on the doors to some aircraft hangars). But why did they not just build the door a little taller?

Quite a few engine sheds have them, I must confess normally larger ones but there are pictures in my GWR Architecture book of them at Swindon, Reading, Basingstoke.

So I just copied the idea and stuck it on my shed 10 odd years ago....

Edited by KNP
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, KNP said:

..... PS - I think the chip module is pushing the boiler face out...!

Until you said, I would not have noticed!

Another lazy summers day at Little Muddle. I hope those fitters are better at their craft than those loaders at the dock.... Thankfully "Time and motion" studies had not been invented in the 30's to worry about it :-)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I tried my ageing technique on the colour scenery photo above but it didn't work. Don't really understand why - it just never looked right no matter what I did.

So I went back and tried it on one of my favourites of your recent photos. Hope you don't mind:

2147317309_MuddleHeadingOff38.png.de23ab299040a1efcb5a4de7b280d259.png

Edit: Changed date to '38, as per messages below.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

I tried my ageing technique on the colour scenery photo above but it didn't work. Don't really understand why - it just never looked right no matter what I did.

So I went back and tried it on one of my favourites of your recent photos. Hope you don't mind:

1890936503_MuddleHeadingOff.png.66a973e8c1270ca2203feb4334cf22e1.png

I can change the '36 if it's wrong!

If it is the summer of '36 wouldn't the lamp casing be red?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

If it is the summer of '36 wouldn't the lamp casing be red?

Yes, good point.

What should the date be, @KNP?

Edit: Now fixed.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1