Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Do I detect a vague whiff of Captain Kernow's learned discourses in some of this?

He won't confirm or deny it.:D

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Do I detect a vague whiff of Captain Kernow's learned discourses in some of this?

25 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

He won't confirm or deny it.:D

I certainly agree with the above comments,  I expect that shortly he will be along with some discourse on the subject, or perhaps not!.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

It's all right for you lot. I've got an exhibition coming up and I will have to force myself to be nice to a lot of pretentious twunts.

I am relying upon SWMBO to ramp up her her naturally well bred accent to go full on jolly hockey sticks and distract them whilst I grunt and wish I had gotten all of the motor oil out from under my fingernails...

Don't worry!

Your exhibition will probably be cancelled due to the virus!!

Cheers

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m a simple man and I don’t understand all this highbrow artistic talk but I know a good photo of a rare chimney pot when I see one!

(There also seems to be a railway behind it, which might interest some people.)

:wink_mini:

• Like 2
  • Funny 8

46 minutes ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Don't worry!

Your exhibition will probably be cancelled due to the virus!!

Cheers

Paul

Nope, it's an invitation only viewing organised by a gallery for art dealers, promotors and other galleries. So I have to be polite, not be cynical or punch anyone. Suddenly the days of working whilst being shot at in a third world sh#thole seems less nerve wracking.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

It's all right for you lot. I've got an exhibition coming up and I will have to force myself to be nice to a lot of pretentious twunts.

I am relying upon SWMBO to ramp up her her naturally well bred accent to go full on jolly hockey sticks and distract them whilst I grunt and wish I had gotten all of the motor oil out from under my fingernails...

Some years ago, a few colleagues and I were invited to the opening night of an exhibition in Jakarta, to make up the numbers I suppose so that the great and the good (including at least two Ambassadors) would not find themselves wandering around a half-empty gallery.

After a cursory look round the exhibits, we gravitated to the artist himself and spent the rest of the evening drinking wine and sharing slightly off-colour jokes.

The artist, by the way, was Jason Monet (no relation).

https://www.jasonmonet.com/bio.htm

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Thanks, he had a real mixture of artistic styles, looks like he would have been a really interesting guy to have a talk and share a few drinks with. 

Always fancied going to India, only thing that would put me off is all the overpriviledged backpacker types I have met who have been there! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Meanwhile, back in good ol' Blighty in the days of the Empire, Mr KNP, could you please tell me what is the basis of your model of 5355? 

Is it a kit or modified RTR? 

It's a Bachmann loco that I got at an exhibition (Alexandra Palace I believe) that had a split chassis with a doggy motor.

So I removed the motor and all pick up's and it became one of my static photo props that I moves around with the help of a great hand from the sky.... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Artybollocks is a hoot.  

Is anyone aware of a similar generator of pseudo-science, the kind of not-quite-untrue guff that is typically attached to adverts for “rejuvenating” skin cream & “nourishing” hair shampoo?  (And a lot of other more serious issues)

atb

Simon

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

The shuffling and joggling required to produce that stock in those positions would have been worth watching!

Furthest toad held in place with blue tac and lives there until moved.

Covered vans moved by the great hand in the sky method....

but

2251 and coal wagons  moved under their own steam (pun intended) and jiggled about to get best position...

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

"2251 and coal wagons  moved under their own steam (pun intended) and jiggled about to get best position..."

Just keep calm and try to Muddle on......

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Simond said:

Artybollocks is a hoot.  

Is anyone aware of a similar generator of pseudo-science, the kind of not-quite-untrue guff that is typically attached to adverts for “rejuvenating” skin cream & “nourishing” hair shampoo?  (And a lot of other more serious issues)

atb

Simon

No, but back in the '70s a colleague worked hard on a buzzphrase generator. This consisted of three columns of words, all current Harvard etc-derived terms, pick one from each column and string together. Thus, for example, you might generate 'viable infrastructure throughput', or 'synergistic abstraction regression'. Sadly, the better your lists, the more you realise you may already be buying in to such bobbins.......

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Corporate BS. But I suspect that the public sector has the gold key to the cr@pper when it comes to jibberish. Try breaking down a situations vacant advertisement from your local council for a n Inclusivity and equality inspector for instance. Don't get me started on politicians and their entourages (of all parties) who can talk for hours and and say precisely zilch.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

No, but back in the '70s a colleague worked hard on a buzzphrase generator ...

Reminds me that we used to play w*nk word bingo during company meetings.  The managers were quite perplexed when someone would call "bingo" in the middle of a company meeting.

• Funny 10

13 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Corporate BS. But I suspect that the public sector has the gold key to the cr@pper when it comes to jibberish. Try breaking down a situations vacant advertisement from your local council for a n Inclusivity and equality inspector for instance. Don't get me started on politicians and their entourages (of all parties) who can talk for hours and and say precisely zilch.

Yep - I've worked in the Private and Public sectors.  I think the Public Sector wins by a country mile when it comes to gibberish and over complicating things.  Golden rule with their written documents is don't say in 5 pages what you can say in 150 pages with appendicies, and probably no management summary.  (Although the 150 pages might be the management summary).   Of course the people who write these documents absolve themselves of any responsibility if some poor sod keels over with boredom when they have reached page 20.  It can be carnage out there.  

• Funny 7