Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, KNP said:

Thanks, no idea where the lyric idea came from?

A slight quibble though......  

When tuning into my daily dose of bucolic country scenes at Little Muddle..... I am thinking more of Jerusalem...... ala last night of the Proms. But at the moment can’t think of an adaptation to the Lyrics. Instead, I will be content with the stirring opening bars of the music as the wing commander flies over and we are looking down on the bucolic scene!

Have a good day Kevin.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, KNP said:

Thanks, no idea where the lyric idea came from?

Sounds of Silence, Simon & Garfunkel .....

"Hello darkness my old friend

I've come to talk with you again ..."

Edited by Malcolm 0-6-0
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

New project underway.

Seem to be stuck on rolling stock at the moment, least it means LM has some!

This is down to two followers of this thread mentioning it and me not realising one was made in kit form.

You know who who you are......

IMG_2148.jpg.d2eaf89c2928fadd5b70d23202ab90f3.jpg

A lot of filling required and sanding to smooth down surfaces when glue has set.

Brass buffers to crane underframe I hear you say, well somewhere in the railway room is one of the kit supplied plastic ones that went for a 'flying lesson' across the room and landed on the layout.

Had a look but no sign, one day it will turn up, normally not where I thought it went.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

So this is what I am building

P1150017.JPG.2e785c5d0d8a5c4272a1688e3d6269b5.JPG

and these are the bits

P1150018.JPG.6056b30bd0af3083d45d6da42b60b467.JPG

I have to say the instructions could have done with a few more pictures as after all, a picture paints a thousand words.

Built the easy items first, leaving the battle of the crane to come.

Luckily one of the culprits that 'forced me' into buying one of these posted some nice pictures on his thread Warren Branch which answered a few questions I had.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 22/09/2020 at 09:44, MrWolf said:

They're still conducting sea trials to check for leaks. POW is a provisional name that stands for Put On Wellies.

Would they be Wellies from the Queen?

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

There have been ructions over the royal green Welly, the younger generation of the family has taken to wearing Wellington boots of FRENCH manufacture of all things.

The old Duke of Wellington will be spinning in his grave at Napoleon having the last laugh!

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning Kevin,

That Cambrian crane looks interesting, should make up into a nice model.

I have a similar crane from (I think) K’s in the 70’s or 80’s - not my finest model.

It will be interesting to see your Cambrian one going together.

Regards, Neal

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I'm also part way through building the Cambrian GWR crane. The jib is a bit fiddly, but benefits from careful filing and a tiny bit of filler. The rest is pretty simple. It's light and a little top heavy. I fitted self adhesive motorcycle wheel balancing weights under the floors then filled the crane weight box and match truck toolboxes with number 9 shot. Next up will be a permanent way brake van, probably the 3D printed one that Chris (Chuffinghell) designed for his Warren Branch layout, available from Shapeways (usual disclaimer)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

13 hours ago, KNP said:

So this is what I am building

P1150017.JPG.2e785c5d0d8a5c4272a1688e3d6269b5.JPG

and these are the bits

P1150018.JPG.6056b30bd0af3083d45d6da42b60b467.JPG

I have to say the instructions could have done with a few more pictures as after all, a picture paints a thousand words.

Built the easy items first, leaving the battle of the crane to come.

Luckily one of the culprits that 'forced me' into buying one of these posted some nice pictures on his thread Warren Branch which answered a few questions I had.

Kevin  I've thought of doing one of these in the past, so would very much appreciate as detailed a coverage

of the build, as you can manage.

Your standards are so much higher than mine, so it would be a great encouragement to my following behind.

Will be adding this to my recently drawn up to-do list.

Once you've done this, might I suggest a GW 6ton yard crane, so typically GW. Osbornes in Barnstaple do a laser cut kit, but I've always thought it rather fiddly, and not a given that it would go well. It would certainly be interesting to see what, and how, you made of that.

All the best

TONY

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

Once you've done this, might I suggest a GW 6ton yard crane, so typically GW. Osbornes in Barnstaple do a laser cut kit, but I've always thought it rather fiddly, and not a given that it would go well. It would certainly be interesting to see what, and how, you made of that.

All the best

TONY

I also need a yard crane for Henley so would be interested in this if you have a ho Kevin. Or indeed if anyone has any other suggestions.

Up until the 1930’s the crane at Henley on Thames was a 10ton, replaced later with a 6 ton version.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

13 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

Kevin  I've thought of doing one of these in the past, so would very much appreciate as detailed a coverage

of the build, as you can manage.

Your standards are so much higher than mine, so it would be a great encouragement to my following behind.

Will be adding this to my recently drawn up to-do list.

All the best

TONY

Build nearly finished, just leaving glue to set on jib overnight before filling/sanding/handling, many pictures taken which I will post when completed.

It’s been.......interesting and patience testing.

Nice looking model though even at this stage.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 03/10/2020 at 15:21, KNP said:

3150.jpg.bd467dce74d91931cd7645575fe6ed88.jpg

I've read this thread on your lovely layout from start to finish, it's superb. I was just wondering if you might be able to tell me where you got or how you made the fishing nets in this photo? 

Thanks and keep up the good work. 

Will

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, KNP said:

Build nearly finished, just leaving glue to set on jib overnight before filling/sanding/handling, many pictures taken which I will post when completed.

It’s been.......interesting and patience testing.

Nice looking model though even at this stage.

I found the hardest part was fitting the infernal internal bits/gears/axles etc, especially as the instructions weren’t too explicit and I lost the prototype pics on the old Cambrian website. Are you going for the etched crane instruction plates? I never got around to a satisfactory way of colouring the chain.

Mine turned out OKish if you don’t look too closely.  Only took me less than a year on and (mainly) off, so not bad for me.  I now have a  “layout” crane! :D

Cheers, Mark

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

8 hours ago, LBSC123 said:

I've read this thread on your lovely layout from start to finish, it's superb. I was just wondering if you might be able to tell me where you got or how you made the fishing nets in this photo? 

Thanks and keep up the good work. 

Will

Thank you for your comments and glad you enjoyed my little effort.

Regarding the nets they came from a model boat website that seems to have ceased trading a few years ago luckily I brought a sq.m. of it so I have some in reserve

A lot of my stuff comes from these sites as they are well worth a look even for a model railway fan.

The one I currently use the most is Cornwall Model Boats or another one is Model Dockyard - no connection just a satisfied customer.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Must be an archive picture as it is hammering down with rain at the moment......

3156.jpg.0e27f149dbeabd425ac131ebf7094f2b.jpg

Still got the DC to DCC conversion pictures to post.

Anyone still interested?

Edited by KNP
  • Like 16
  • Agree 2

31 minutes ago, KNP said:

Must be an archive picture as it is hammering down with rain at the moment......

3156.jpg.18f0f8cc0460656898f8a0174a8d8693.jpg

Still got the DC o DCC conversion pictures to post.

Anyone still interested?

In a word = YES, I will just add a second word though, and that is PLEASE.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

40 minutes ago, KNP said:

3156.jpg.18f0f8cc0460656898f8a0174a8d8693.jpg

Still got the DC o DCC conversion pictures to post.

Anyone still interested?

I’m sure followers would be interested in your successful conversion, there’s still lots of uncertainty about such a fairly simple job.

I am in envy of the point rodding in this picture!
Rich

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

Right then here we go....

First things first I am by no means an expert in this sort of thing and had all sorts of problems in understanding and converting LM to DCC in the early days.

7802 Bradley Manor is an old Bachmann of split chassis design where the metal of the chassis is used to conduct the electricity from the track to the motor.

Both sides are insulated from other and obviously must never touch otherwise a short will occur.

I will not go into the electrical side in great depth but if you do need more information I use a great site by Brian Lambert where all this is described in excellent detail (www.brian-lambert.co.uk)

This is the loco and tender dismantled into its component parts.

The reason I did the tender was the original plan was to put the decoder in this as there is loads of room and run the cables through to loco under the hook bracket

I have used the Zimo MX600 mainly as I had two spare and was feeling mean, normally I use the small MX634 but didn't have any left.

The parts

IMG_2020.jpg.4adeb8aa9f1038cda119153dabfc43fe.jpg

IMG_2021.jpg.a9011b329d296d60117b1efaba5383d3.jpg

By some careful measuring I realised there was just enough space under the chimney/boiler area.

IMG_2044.jpg.17aaba1b700718b1a84482945bf6d6d9.jpg

IMG_2046.jpg.6820e0a4134c08d70f45b25bf942caaa.jpg

So with careful cutting with a hacksaw we ended up with this

IMG_2045.jpg.7cd0a24090ce87f767f56b8486f8614c.jpg

The large hole just below the removed section must be maintained as this where the insulating fixings go.

IMG_2048.jpg.2df092a07722dec1728fec4afbe76ce3.jpg

The above picture now shows the chip in place and cables past through the chassis showing the size of the gap between the two halves.

The screws shown fix into a plastic nut/insulator with a plastic washer to act as the spacer between the two sides.

As I only required forward and backward control I will be removing the unwanted cables I don't need leaving only the orange and grey (motor) and the red and black (track).

As you will be aware the decoder sits between the track(pick up) and motor to give you DCC control.

IMG_2050.jpg.2a73a74c2824139b20a97031a90b254f.jpg

I included this rather poor picture as it shows the insulated wheel axles which rub against pick up points on the chassis halves and feed the motor which has corresponding metal tags touching the chassis which makes the electrical circuit for each half.

Next is the actual set up in testing on the rolling road, the blurred effect is because the wheel are actually turn at speed not some form of photoshopping!!!!

Only four cables now needed and the other are shortened and for completeness I put a touch of super glue on the exposed cut of cable ends to ensure no electrical contact could be made.

On the subject of super glue I find it an excellent insulator so if in doubt I cover areas with a layer of glue to protect it from shorts, this I did to all areas that looked like they might touched and left to dry

As the wheels touch the chassis for pick up I decided to change tack and use this for the decoder track connections so I fitted some mini self tapping screws and connected the wires to that.

At the other end by the motor the metal area where the motor tabs touched I coated with glue and wrapped the soldered joint in electrical tape for additional protection.

(The wires from the chip to the motor do change colour as I used a couple pieces from those removed earlier....)

And hey presto I had a converted loco now operating on DCC.

P1140724.JPG.339c799ebdebc5e9c4e2ba5cc7dbdff1.JPG

The next group of pictures just shows how I packaged the whole thing so it was all nice and tidy before fitting back into the loco body.

IMG_2056.jpg.f2dbc230ba8cc7a8c69dd3ca8b0f6de1.jpg

IMG_2057.jpg.a2c6c99c068f4b16e7574e0d4e6c91a7.jpg

IMG_2058.jpg.3801a34612055439ed9e26c9a8fe5740.jpg

Just one thing to point out is that the two motor cables run in the gap between the chassis halves so I added a piece of insulating tape to act as a cradle just above the worm gear to stop them touching and causing problems in the future.

This quite a good runner for an old loco so I am glad I did this conversion.

For years I always thought this type of work was a 'dark art' and only carried out by 'the experts' behind closed doors but really so long as you think logically about the planning and always, always ensure the two sides of the loco chassis do not touch each other then it is relatively easy.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions then by all means ask. 

EDIT

Just realised (following a comment by Oldddudders) that for the motor wires I had typed black instead of grey.....!)

Edited by KNP
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 10

• RMweb Gold

A very neat conversion explicitly described - well done. I have never understood the aversion to split chassis for DCC. The same principle applies to every DCC installation - isolating the motor brushes from everything but the grey and orange wires will work every time. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 6