Little Muddle

KNP

4 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

Yep, you need lots more...

whitby-lobster-pots-colourful-standing-q

lobster-pots-ready-stock-photo-1223206.j

Agree.

The pictures I took a couple of years ago at Paignton show what looks like hundreds of them.

Your pictures indicate the rope colours I was on about along with pot identification bands..

Thanks for posting

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

So much better than the resin pots. Could I suggest a few strands of scale seaweed. I bet Noch don’t make that!

More to go, might even order some more!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

So much better than the resin pots. Could I suggest a few strands of scale seaweed. I bet Noch don’t make that!

I think you can get away with a limited number but aside from seaweed some loose ropes might be needed (although probably not blue as below):

SJP_AT_323602201016.jpg.ab3e4377d614f064c36367cd33b96f3b.jpg

(Sizewell beach, Suffolk last week).

Tony

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

Fishing floats back then we're either cylindrical pieces of cork about 6" long and 6" diameter, strung onto rope or green glass spheres about 5" in diameter with the rope weaved around to protect them. I would think that 2mm glass beads would do?

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, KNP said:

My plan is add plenty of ropes of all types and sizes, floats, flags, buckets, rubbish, junk and anything else I can think of.

I want to make the area look a mess!!

Those new pots are so much better than the resin examples. A bit more rust, some scraps of wilted seaweed, ropes and very small beads to represent floats will make them extra realistic.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I remember fish boxes like this being piled up on quaysides well into the 1980s, you should be able to scale it from the lobster pot.540x360.jpg.89f3487193584245eb3b15b0639e9abb.jpg

original.jpg

Many thanks for posting this photo Mr Wolf. I was painting some N gauge fish boxes yesterday and was really struggling with the colour so I’ll have another go later. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 24/10/2020 at 18:59, MrWolf said:

Olddudders. That was precisely my excuse for obtaining a bunch of LMS and a few LNER wagons.

But you have laid out the argument in such an erudite and convincing manner, I think I will have to copy it down as a defence against any negative comments that the domestic authorities may have on the subject of too many wagons.

By coincidence this is being discussed in a thread on "Foreign" wagons under the pre-grouping section in Special Interests at the moment. A little early for Big Four era but the proportions would remain about the same, plus that the wagon lettering didn't change overnight of course. May or may not be useful.

Phil T.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 27/10/2020 at 07:14, KNP said:

3189.jpg.7d4faaec6c19bd0ebcfaa442e3b7c959.jpg

Now this is not a criticism, indeed how could you criticise such excellent modelling but I wonder why people use those couplings? I understand the benefits of remote uncoupling but to me they look just as bad as tension locks! For some time now I have been using the Bachmann DMU style couplings which I find are less obtrusive and by using the Brian Kirby method (as applied by him to tension locks) you can have auto uncoupling although you can't reposition stock without it recoupling. I use a shunters pole with a magnet on the end if needed but find that 90% of the time the permanent magnets are in the right place.  Apologise for the poor photos my box brownie is a bit ancient!

Keep up the excellent work please Kevin.

Roger

IMG_1184.JPG

IMG_1187.JPG

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, KNP said:

For those of you interested, here is a seldom modelled item - a compost heap with three sided bin...

Mmmmm.....rhubarb......yummy ! :D

• Like 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Really keen on all these new angles, Kevin. A benefit of keeping the buildings removable, I suppose.

I like the way you keep all your verticals vertical, by the way. I don't feel dizzy when I'm looking for faults features.......

:jester:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1