Little Muddle

KNP

2 hours ago, KNP said:

Lets have a stern look at Misty?

3233.jpg.887ae8c815eaee47e10d4c42e8bb511d.jpg

This picture has reminded me I need to get around to weathering those letters - one day.

Kevin, A quick question please if I may, and this IS NOT a criticism, as I'm no Mariner, so I really don't know the answer, but the little boat on Misty, would that not be placed up side down, or have a Tarpaulin over it, to stop it filling with water when it rains? 

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I think the bosuns mate is ashore getting the cover repaired...

or on the other hand he might come back from the pub with one that says...

GWR

Edited by TheQ
  • Funny 10

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Kevin, A quick question please if I may, and this IS NOT a criticism, as I'm no Mariner, so I really don't know the answer, but the little boat on Misty, would that not be placed up side down, or have a Tarpaulin over it, to stop it filling with water when it rains? 

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

I think the bosuns mate is ashore getting the cover repaired...

or on the other hand he might come back from the pub with one that says...

GWR

Is the new cover in the Crate on the back of the Lorry?:rolleyes:

• Funny 10

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

have a Tarpaulin over it

Most likely, to protect the boat, and all the stuff would be stowed in it, from fresh water.

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

cover repaired

Almost certainly done on board. In the '30s it's still likely that the AB or Mate served his time in sail, after all :) Anyway, it would have been cheaper, the tramper's guiding star!

The boat was there to be used, most often in the vicinity of harbour, so it's not a surprise to see it open...but a nearby cover would be a lovely touch

On the rowing boat, a lovely idea which will doubtless executed beautifully. Worth bearing in mind that steps are prime real estate in a dock, and a boat is unlikely to be left there unattended for more than a couple of minutes, if that (it being just as easy to hop out at the steps with the painter and make it fast to one of those handy rings set into the dock edge, leaving the steps free for others). Likewise a boat would be unlikely left in the area to rot...not least because it wasn't unusual for engineless wooden workboats to be built into the '50s! Also also (sorry!) sculling would be the usual way of getting about in a confined space, which I've never seen modelled...just saying... :)

Lovely to have a catch up with Little Muddle, simply a joy to spend some time here.

Schooner

Edited by Schooner
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

This was quite a common way to store a rowing boat on vessels like this, mine is based on a real drifter Lydia Eva of Great Yarmouth which has her boat stowed in this fashion.

In fact, if you look closely at the picture you can see the cover stored under one of the seats in the bow, green coloured item.

Uncovered, not unusual as it depends when it was last used as a tender.

Real reason!!!

The Quaycraft model has such a lovely interior that it seemed a crying shame to cover it....

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I have just remembered something that may satisfy your need for rowing boats and dockside clutter.

When I was very young, we used to visit relatives near Conwy. I was naturally fascinated by the railway, castle walls suspension bridge etc. That may have been where the weirdness started! 

But, down by the quay, between the medieval defences and the smallest house, was a wide bit of quayside. There were about half a dozen old rowing boats of about 10-12 feet long stored upside down on old sleepers to keep the air circulating. Some had been there so long that the keels had sagged.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

When I was very young, we used to visit relatives near Conwy. I was naturally fascinated by the railway, castle walls suspension bridge etc.

Reminded me of that old tale about the American tourist at Conwy who allegedly said,                            "Sure, it's a mighty fine castle.  But why did they build it so near the railroad?"

• Like 2
  • Funny 11

That may not be so much of an urban legend. I remember wandering around Lindisfarne castle when I was still at school and in the kitchen were a couple of old galvanized wash tubs. American tourist said loudly to her friend, "Gee, look at those WEIRD trash cans.. ." 

Then again, on another occasion I remember someone being convinced that I was winding them up when I told them that back in 1920s America, you could buy a washing machine powered by a kick start petrol engine.

• Like 4

Interesting little fact that when men were men and women stayed at home looking after the sprogs - so long ago- that ships boats, barges etc were often filled with water when the ship was sailing in the tropics. It was done so as to stop the seams drying out and splitting .

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Getting back to topic, there is a connection between me blathering on about Lindisfarne, tatty old boats and models.Lindisfarne-Boat-Sheds-4.jpg.328f909e2854223f3115bb942c20c3d1.jpg

These old herring boat hull halves were a common sight there and good to know that they still are.

I'm sure that I have seen similar things further down the east coast and on Portland. A use for smaller scrapped boats was to cut off the stern and stand the hull upright, boarding up the area that would be a deck and fitting a shed door. I have seen plenty of those over the years. Below is a pic of a ready to plant one, I got fed up trawling through pictures of "shed made from old boat" and getting a whole lot of daft summerhouses made by social workers with silly beards.

20S237B.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Interesting little fact that when men were men and women stayed at home looking after the sprogs - so long ago- that ships boats, barges etc were often filled with water when the ship was sailing in the tropics. It was done so as to stop the seams drying out and splitting .

Even today, timber hulled yachts need to take precautions about exposure to tropical sunlight. I recall an account of a cruiser which had drifted along using the the north easterly trades (the easy way to the Caribbean since Columbus) for a couple of weeks under beautiful blue skies. Then the wind changed and the yacht had to change tack, only to suddenly start taking on water. The seams above the waterline had split and when on the other tack, this part of the hull was now underwater. 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

5 hours ago, col.stephens said:

How about some drainage holes in the bottom of the boat?  That will sort out the rain problem! :D

Most ships boats have a "bung".  It is very important to check the bung before launch!  A mate of mine was retired from the Navy (straw that broke the camels back!) after taking the ships whaler away without checking the bung.  I was told it was very funny watching him trying to put it back in!  So Kevin, from an old sea dog, don't worry about Misty's boat.... Cheers, Mark

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3