Little Muddle

KNP

And in the mood of seasonal greetings I am pleased to introduce you to a new member of the LM staff

He is my namesake got for me by my grandchildren.....

Ladies and Gentlemen please be upstanding for

Kevin the Carrot

IMG_2671.jpg.056a5a234ca605fc8e5b90e080d6e1e0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 5
  • Funny 9

Did I cause a moment of panic on Kevin the Carrot's face earlier.

He was getting ready for his picture but kept falling over and getting flustered.

I said calm down....

you're getting into a stew...?

Well, you ought to have seen his reaction...

It appears saying that to a carrot can be most alarming!! 

• Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, John Besley said:

For weight distribution shouldn't that be between the axles as it would currently out to much load on the back end... or has something already been taken off?

I'm sure that I read somewhere that loads were positioned nearer the rear axle to make the steering lighter. This was before the days of power assistance.

It could be my memory playing tricks on me, of course. That's not unknown.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

You're quite right. If you didn't have a full load, you would get the weight over the drive axle, that not only helped with the steering, but also helped with traction and aided grip during engine braking. That crate is loaded just right.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, John Besley said:

Just reading through this awesome topic / layout currently on page 85... noticed none of your locos have pop pipes hanging out over the handrails to keep the footplate dust down.... try a bit of fuse wire painted black...

Pop pipe is something new to me, I've never heard one referred to before and I certainly don't know what one looks like. Would you explain, please, so that I can consider whether to use them on my models?

I have used my favourite Internet search engine to search for the term but it hasn't come up with anything that I could remotely connect with steam locomotives.

• Agree 3

8 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Pop pipe is something new to me, I've never heard one referred to before and I certainly don't know what one looks like. Would you explain, please, so that I can consider whether to use them on my models?

I have used my favourite Internet search engine to search for the term but it hasn't come up with anything that I could remotely connect with steam locomotives.

I thought it was generally known as a pep pipe, but could be wrong.

TONY

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Funny you should mention it but I was scratching my head thinking what it was.

Thought it was me and I have been searching as well.

So I would like to know as well.

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 03/11/2018 at 17:22, The Johnster said:

None of my firemen who are holding shovels are actually firing the loco; it looks wrong when the loco is standing in the station or doing a bit of casual shunting, which is most of the time.  They are all either messing about in the bunker, perhaps getting ready to bring coal forward, or picking up stray lumps from the cab floor, more suitable activity for periods when the loco is not being actively fired.  This is also the sort of activity that might be more likely to have had the fireman paused in a position for a few seconds while he ponders his next move or is distracted by something than actively firing the loco.

It actually looks like the fireman on the Dean is wondering where his shovel full of coal has gone :huh: .... did it fall off between the loco and tender?

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, KNP said:

Anybody got any pictures showing this PEP pipe?

Thanks

I'll have a hunt, for your info, on a 45xx we always tucked it into the handle on the tank side by the cab shutter same as on a 14xx and Pannier otherwise they got in the way on the cab floor, dont for get a bucket in the corner of the cab part full of water for washing yer hands in, alternatively hanging on the fire iron bracket the firemans side with the fire iron safety chain wrapped around to stop it falling off.

Fire irons on a 45xx live onto of the tank firemans side accessed through the cab window and on panniers and 14xx on the fire iron hooks, the shovels need to be slightly bent to be able to get into the firebox.

• Informative/Useful 4

Further to my earlier comments on the subject of part loads and the way that lorries were loaded in the days before power steering and power brakes, this picture, taken at the Isle of Dogs, c1930, should serve to illustrate the point.

1920s-east-ferry-road-hawkins-tipson.jpg.1d78c3c7401898e5d5fcf0cebaaaf21d.jpg

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

OK - a pep pipe is used for cleaning the footplate boards down, - bit like a pressure washer - this runs off the injector feed the firemans side and keeping the coal dust down essential when running bunker / tender first, also a supply of hot water in the bucket for cleaning yer hands before grub time when out on the road 

As can be seen this is the pipe hanging over the cab side - note how the metal end has chipped off the paint in an arc as it jiggles around when travelling.

45xx cabs are cramped as are 14xx with the side tanks extending into the cab side, these stop short of the cab doors, I always stood in the door way with my back to the scenery so I was looking over my shoulders in the direction if travel and more importantly could watch the pressure gauge and water level, when you knew the road you could second guess the driver where he would shut off and have the dampers dropped and the fire door open to control the fire ....

Happy days :D

4561 SDR.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 10

14 minutes ago, John Besley said:

OK - a pep pipe is used for cleaning the footplate boards down, - bit like a pressure washer - this runs off the injector feed the firemans side and keeping the coal dust down essential when running bunker / tender first, also a supply of hot water in the bucket for cleaning yer hands before grub time when out on the road 

As can be seen this is the pipe hanging over the cab side - note how the metal end has chipped off the paint in an arc as it jiggles around when travelling.

45xx cabs are cramped as are 14xx with the side tanks extending into the cab side, these stop short of the cab doors, I always stood in the door way with my back to the scenery so I was looking over my shoulders in the direction if travel and more importantly could watch the pressure gauge and water level, when you knew the road you could second guess the driver where he would shut off and have the dampers dropped and the fire door open to control the fire ....

Happy days :D

4561 SDR.jpg

Now you’ve posted this picture and I have looked at my Moguls & Prairies book I can see dozens of pictures with this pipe hanging out...

No idea what or why it was there but I do now.

Well, I learn’t something new today.

Many thanks....

I suppose you’re expecting me to add one now???

Edited by KNP
  • Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Interesting, I noticed that the end of the pipe with the traction engines, has about a 6" long piece of steel tube with the end bent over to create a crude nozzle and means of hanging - provided you have room in the cab that is!

Edited by MrWolf
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, KNP said:

Now you’ve posted this picture and I have looked at my Moguls & Prairies book I can see dozens of pictures with this pipe hanging out...

No idea what or why it was there but I do now.

Well, I learn’t something new today.

Many thanks....

I suppose you’re expecting me to add one now???

Yes please :rolleyes:... and fire irons and buckets, oh dont forget the grubby bit of soap floating in the bucket...

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2