Little Muddle

KNP

Back in the dark ages of 1969,  I was involved with the building of a waterworks in a large field above the village of Ruswarp,  near Whitby.

Machines and pneumatic drills etc were going and you couldn’t hear yourself speak, when a large fox trotted through the workings.  Everything stopped.  The builders were amazed at his coolness.  He trotted all the way over the field, through the hedge, across a stream and up the hill over the next field.

The men had never seen anything like it.

Derek

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Limpley Stoker said:

I found myself reaching for my Dunlop wellies looking at that mud!

It reminds me of getting my van stuck in a gateway like that and the lengths we went to to get it back out

:D

• Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Just so long as you didn't chase it with a pack of hounds.

Absolutely not. 

That's probably the least practical way of dealing with foxes. If they're not posing a threat, leave them alone. I would far sooner set a pack of hounds on badger baiters for instance, then move on to other human vermin.

Here is not the place for such discussion though. Also, do we really want a fox in a field full of sheep and lambs? I think not.

Seriously though, I have to keep going back to look at the gate of all things. I don't think that I have ever seen such a realistic rendering. I am looking forward to trying to replicate that kind of detail on my layout. Lots to do before that stage though!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Very good.  Especially for a first attempt at teak.

It's an orangey shade which (appropriately) implies older teak and perhaps suggests the wheels and roof would have picked up more filth?

TBH though, Kevin.  If you hadn't asked for feedback I wouldn't be saying much as it looks good and the varnished wood will be an excellent spot of variety amongst the painted coaches and wagons.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

With respect to the S&W paddle, you could (as it's a closed van) cut a hole in 

the floor and use a straight paddle, so that when it operates it goes 'through'

the floor. That way, there would be less showing in normal running.

Just a thought.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

7 minutes ago, KNP said:

Don't know the exact term but I do believe now that the LED layout lights are bringing out the orange effect of the base colour.

This is the van in natural light earlier.

Now finished, lead weight fitted inside, glazing added, roof stuck and S&W couplings fitted.

IMG_2888.jpg.69231295ea817a0ff37dbeeecdcebd76.jpg

I am now wishing I had used a beige brown instead of the orange as a base colour.

S&W balance plates stick out a mile on this model as the axles are so far from the ends......will have to live with that!!!

Kevin, I think that looks superb, I'm sure the original vans ended up all sorts of shades after some time in use. Excellent work.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, KNP said:

Now I want everyone to be honest with me.

Just how honest? :P

I'm going to stick my head above the parapet here, and wait for it to be shot at.

I wonder about your portrayal of the roof, Kevin. I have never seen one of these in real life and I have no photographic record of any that I can find easily, which means that I have nothing to base my comments on apart from what I have found so far. I have looked at many colour photographs of van and coach/carriage roofs in order to establish how I should treat my own. I don't recall seeing any that have identifiable marks on them such as portrayed here, but that does not mean that it never happened, obviously.

I cant deny that it looks good, it's just that, to my eyes, the roof spoils it. It's a personal opinion and it's going to differ from other people's, I expect, but that's life.

With a magazine of 10 rounds, in your own time, FIRE!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I'm going to stick my head above the parapet here, and wait for it to be shot at.

I wonder about your portrayal of the roof, Kevin. I have never seen one of these in real life and I have no photographic record of any that I can find easily, which means that I have nothing to base my comments on apart from what I have found so far. I have looked at many colour photographs of van and coach/carriage roofs in order to establish how I should treat my own. I don't recall seeing any that have identifiable marks on them such as portrayed here, but that does not mean that it never happened, obviously.

I cant deny that it looks good, it's just that, to my eyes, the roof spoils it. It's a personal opinion and it's going to differ from other people's, I expect, but that's life.

I apply weathered powders, generally black, dark earth ( Not too much ) and finish with smoke. To apply I 'splodge' using the largest of my fine selection of make up brushes. Yes, really. 

Once happy, as usual, I seal using a light dusting of matt varnish. I avoid 'streaking' the powders across the roof. 

I posted this image over on Night Mail earlier to show the texture I get as a result. 

Rob.

20210210_111751-01.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

1 hour ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Funny old world isn’t it.

The roof in my eyes came out just as I envisaged it.

I shall take some pictures with the TZ100 as it views colours differently than the iPhone 

See what it looks like then, post pictures later. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, KNP said:

Don't know the exact term but I do believe now that the LED layout lights are bringing out the orange effect of the base colour.

This is the van in natural light earlier.

Now finished, lead weight fitted inside, glazing added, roof stuck and S&W couplings fitted.

IMG_2888.jpg.69231295ea817a0ff37dbeeecdcebd76.jpg

I am now wishing I had used a beige brown instead of the orange as a base colour.

S&W balance plates stick out a mile on this model as the axles are so far from the ends......will have to live with that!!!

You're not wrong.  The photo above looks much better (and filthier).  In fact, it largely invalidates my earlier comments.  :good:

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I’m with Mick on this. 

I hestitate to comment because your painting, modelling and observation skills are in a different league to my own. However from my studies of teak coach roofs I make the following observations.

The roof was painted with white lead. This reacted with the atmosphere and turned progressively more grey. This was a uniform reaction. 

On top of that there would be soot deposits from the loco. These were concentrated on the centreline of the roof.

The result was that most LNER roofs were overall dark grey. They were white only when just repainted. Coaches with lighter grey roofs tended to be lighter under the rain strips ( presumably the only effect here was the reaction with atmosphere) - the centre portion was noticeably darker as a result of the soot deposits.

THe streaking effect is much more visible in the first two photos - and the overall colour looks lighter. Amazing what a difference the lighting makes!

I like the teak colour by the way.....nice red brown hue.

Jon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1