Little Muddle

KNP

11 minutes ago, teaky said:

You're not wrong.  The photo above looks much better (and filthier).  In fact, it largely invalidates my earlier comments.  :good:

Totally agree, just in process of editing a new batch taken with the TZ100 and not the iPhone and boy what a difference.

Even the roof looks better......to me!!!!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Not a pigeon van, but in use, plenty of varied red / orange in the panelling and the roof canvas is far from pristine.

I think that he's pretty damned close!

6905073464_2cc014bd54_b.jpg.4e0dd655a0f0eec578f5fa52536a9313.jpg

No arguing with that!

When I next look at my coaches I'll be glad there are no teak ones. This roof looks as if it is similar in original shade to 1940s Pullmans that I have worked on. Thanks for showing the photograph - is it one of yours? Plenty of track and underframe colour detail to study!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am using the image on the grounds of use as a non profit explanatory / teaching aid. ;)

It's nicked from Google, who nicked it from Hattons, who may have nicked it from the NYMR. There's a lot out there. I actually Googled "GCR teak coaches" and got images of everything from wrecks sheeted up at Loughborough forty years ago to mint quad art sets and everything in between. I harvest a lot of images to obtain colour, shade and details for my paintings, though you wouldn't see a copy of anything.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Those last photos look totally different again.  Much less red in the teak and thus a younger or more recently cleaned van.

Transfers:  I may be able to help with some Fox Transfers for the "LNER" and numbers but don't have anything in stock for any of the tiny bits on the solebars nor the "GUARD" for the door.  PM me if you want to discuss.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, KNP said:

Now I want everyone to be honest with me.

I have my own reservations about this.

Here is my first attempt at painting the LNER pigeon van.

What do you think?

7 hours ago, KNP said:

Don't know the exact term but I do believe now that the LED layout lights are bringing out the orange effect of the base colour.

This is the van in natural light earlier.

Colour balance, contrast, saturation? Probably white balance and colour temperature though, e.g.: https://photographylife.com/definition/white-balance 

I agree with the earlier comments, the first camera's set-up makes the teak look very orange. The second looks much more natural.  

6 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I wonder about your portrayal of the roof, Kevin. I have never seen one of these in real life and I have no photographic record of any that I can find easily, which means that I have nothing to base my comments on apart from what I have found so far. I have looked at many colour photographs of van and coach/carriage roofs in order to establish how I should treat my own. I don't recall seeing any that have identifiable marks on them such as portrayed here, but that does not mean that it never happened, obviously.

Roofing colour and marks vary depending on both the light and weather, as well as over time and depending on cleaning. I've worked on the tops of carriages (though mainly Mark Ones, not LNER stock) and the overall impression of texture and streaking looks good to me. Even the transverse streaks in the middle of the roof camber can be realistic if there's a slight hollow in the roof meaning rainwater acts as a cleanser/protector from the weathering the rest of the roof is exposed to. I suspect it's something which the viewing distance affects, what you see when you're crawling about on top of them or a few feet away is invisible at 50 yards. 

An edited frame of the NYMR teaks at Moorgates, showing the variation of sides and roofs. 

Gresleys.jpg

Edited by The White Rabbit
add photo
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I am mightly interested in your efforts with the pigeon van as I have two of the same kit to make up - one day.  Would you mind sharing details of how you painted your van?

Not sure of the value to you, but here's a similar van at Banff.  I'm not sure of the date - after colour film but before the end of passenger services (1964).

10464080_666109986812897_5302030336806646345_n.jpg.f8463b7b0cdb2b899eb7f55e6b242cc2.jpg

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, KNP said:

Just a Pannier crossing the viaduct.

Hang on, what's the fireman saying!!!

'He's added the pep pipe!'

'Just checking its still there'

3371.jpg.63de715a3ff267c152e73ebb600797ef.jpg

Kevin, I'm intrigued by the brickwork panels inside the viaduct arches. I've not seen such a feature previously. Where did you get inspiration from?  do they have a purpose on the prototype? or are they just decorative? 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, DonB said:

Kevin, I'm intrigued by the brickwork panels inside the viaduct arches. I've not seen such a feature previously. Where did you get inspiration from?  do they have a purpose on the prototype? or are they just decorative? 

Its two of the now Hornby R180 viaducts repainted, when I brought mine they where made by Triang!!!!

image.png.353071c7b57dd32fc1506e2a8ab5a508.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, KNP said:

Here is the Dukedog

It's one of the locos I had when modelling in 4mm and was a lovely smooth runner and even better with DCC.....enjoy !

• Like 3
  • Agree 1