Little Muddle

KNP

7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I just pinch details from the old photos, they're also interesting  for seeing how buildings were laid out or adapted as per the garage. 

The attendant would need to climb on to the wall to operate the Shell pump on the far left. The 1930s dustbins are interesting in photo 3, the lean to shed, tapered in two directions and it's chimney in the Hatter's Arms photo 2. The odd mix of houses shops and factories in photo 1.

These are the things that I am trying to pass on, rather than complete scene ideas.

But there is a ramshackle corrugated tin garage on my layout, I'm working on it at the moment. 

It won't have a shop that sells everything apart from oil and car spares either... ;)

Yes I know what you mean. Its the variety that gets me. A time before the planers and so called architects got to work smoothing everything out and buildings weren't designed by committee. We are if you think about very fortunate in that not only is there a visible record- which I know has been around for something like a hundred and seventy years, but its readily available - just a click away. It does mean that there is no excuse not to try something different.

• Agree 3

It is very difficult to design random, all to easy to make it look designed which is why I play with boxes and shapes.

There is some tweaking going on the moment as I iron out a few issues that don’t look right through the camera lens.

More anon for the committee to consider in the next day or two...

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, KNP said:

Now, I'm no motorbike user but is that chap, on the garage picture, filling one up that has just one wheel?

Not an expert by any means on this mode of transport but I do believe most motorcycles have at least two wheels?

My thoughts too, but on closer inspection the vehicle in question happens to be tilted forwards on its stand. 

• Informative/Useful 2

Up until around 1945, the majority of motorcycles were fitted with a rear mounted stand, pivoting from about the rear wheel centre. It lifted the back of the bike a fair way off the ground due to the geometry required to make it easy for an average height man to pull the machine backwards onto the stand. Once rear suspension became popular, it was no longer practical and the centrally mounted stand took over.

tn_SUNBEAM-MODEL-9.jpg.87791a2c2acff870c48405b6a645b0c4.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

The photograph of the garage is fascinating, Could it be just postwar with petrol at 1/4d a gallon? What is astonishing is that five different brands of petrol plus one of two stroke are on offer. Where would five separate storage tanks be buried in such a small area.? I will eventually be modelling the small garage in Limpley Stoke - only one pump!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I too initially thought the motorcycle was missing its rear wheel. I assumed it was out having a puncture repaired?

Having looked more closely at the enlarged picture uyou can just see the bottom of the rear tyre below the lower edge of the silencer. So it is just a fuel stop for a rigid rear end machine and the rider will be able to continue on his way when he has paid for the fuel.

A fascinating picture.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, KNP said:

It is very difficult to design random, all to easy to make it look designed which is why I play with boxes and shapes.

There is some tweaking going on the moment as I iron out a few issues that don’t look right through the camera lens.

More anon for the committee to consider in the next day or two...

As you are the defacto chair of the committee you lead and we as your star struck admirers follow humbly behind- at a respectable distance of course Your Lordship.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, KNP said:

And down at track level...

A highly edited one that needed much tweaking as it was rather bleached.

Looks better now....but a bit washed out if I'm honest, anyway here it is as someone might like it

Drivers watching us through the window?

3434.jpg.ea52979fb2e69c6c510db55cdca33d01.jpg

This reminds me I must chase up for the brass plate, its now 2mths since the money was taken.....didn't realise it was that long!

How about a black and white version, that may make an improvement to the picture.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, KNP said:

A few wagons today, about to leave the yard with with of those new fangled container things.

3437.jpg.10bc90fbea34dfdd52415da521296424.jpg

I'm sorry your Lordship and i know that everyone else has said that they like this photo but there's something about it that is irritating me. Please don't get me wrong. It isn't the quality of the modelling which is up to your usual standard I.e. excellent, but I think it might be something to do with the cameras position. I assume that its in the water to achieve the low height/angle? but it could do with being lower still as the wagons arnt large enough in relation to the goods shed. Anyway that's my opinion so when I'm up before your Lordship please do take into consideration I have wife and family when passing sentence. Yours humbly a grovelling serf.

Edited by Winslow Boy
Gramma
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I'm sorry your Lordship and i know that everyone else has said that they like this photo but there's something about it that is irritating me. Please don't get me wrong. It isn't the quality of the modelling which is up to your usual standard I.e. excellent, but I think it might be something to do with the cameras position. I assume that its in the water to achieve the low height/angle? but it could do with being lower still as the wagons arnt large enough in relation to the goods shed. Anyway that's my opinion so when I'm up before your Lordship please do take into consideration I have wife and family when passing sentence. Yours humbly a grovelling serf.

The cameraman had his tripod with camera set up on the roof of Snowflake with the shot arranged in such away that no rigging was visible.

I hope the explanation suffices as it is the only one you will get as I can’t think of any others...!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

More playing with little boxes....

Getting a bit tatty now as they have had many tweaks and refining with sticky tape....

1251F37B-38F7-4538-BF86-D7A5FDACA5B1.jpeg.30821316aca63ad99cd7cdb53f6889d9.jpeg

F43A39E3-602B-416B-97A0-CCA2582283B3.jpeg.12eeca9c8b897ecb9664481670984a6a.jpeg

Nearly there, few height issues with shop.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Thank you your Lordship. Can I go back to my hovel as Ma - that's the missis, says that Gertrude that's the youngest needs feeding and the others, seven, are all needed on the small holding to sort out he sheep, fed the pig and check for eggs. Yours grovellingly The Serf.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, KNP said:

More playing with little boxes....

Getting a bit tatty now as they have had many tweaks and refining with sticky tape....

1251F37B-38F7-4538-BF86-D7A5FDACA5B1.jpeg.30821316aca63ad99cd7cdb53f6889d9.jpeg

F43A39E3-602B-416B-97A0-CCA2582283B3.jpeg.12eeca9c8b897ecb9664481670984a6a.jpeg

Nearly there, few height issues with shop.

What is the normal expected viewing of this area.... as only a Sopwith Camel pilot will see the rear one before he crashes into the sky...

• Funny 4

I had assumed that the photographer had set up in the roof of Snowflake's wheelhouse. 

I'll be much happier when I can take a picture like that in my model goods yard, as I'm sure a lot of others who are mid build will be!

As for the "new corner" I really like the idea that once it is finished, it will be difficult to see into parts of it. That will give a sense of space, because the human brain attempts to picture what it can't see when assessing what it can.

Edited by MrWolf
Remember to type with front paws only...
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m seeing a repurposed coaching  Inn - made redundant  by the arrival of the railway with its yard developed as Victorian industrial units, but retaining a small public house!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, KNP said:

A few wagons today, about to leave the yard with with of those new fangled container things.

3437.jpg.10bc90fbea34dfdd52415da521296424.jpg

Is that a pimped up Airfix conflat?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1